Dealcoholized wine

TinaMC

This may fall under the category of SWYPO, but thought I'd ask. I've been enjoying this nice dealcholized Cabernet. It clearly doesn't taste exactly like Cabernet, more like a very full, mellow grape juice. And, for me anyway, it does not have the same pull (whether psychological or physical) that real wine has, as I used to be drawn to drink more than one glass of real wine, but not this. The ingredient list looks to be compliant. Thoughts?

De-alcohol_wine_ingredients.jpg

De-alcohol_wine_label.jpg

De-alcohol_wine_nutrition.jpg

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, SchrodingersCat said:

If it didn't have the sulfite, would it be compliant? Just curious.

I don't know that it's ever been officially addressed. I would go with no, because 1) there's still a little alcohol (I know, a half of one percent is almost none, but we don't allow bacon that has tiny amounts of added sugar in the curing process), and 2) SWYPO (or possibly more habit -- which is addressed here:  https://whole30.com/wine-after-work/). Even if you wanted to argue with those, then it would basically be juice, and you're really encouraged not to drink juice. If anyone ever sees Melissa herself address this, whether she agrees with this or not, I'd be interested to know what she says. 

6 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

I don't know that it's ever been officially addressed. I would go with no, because 1) there's still a little alcohol (I know, a half of one percent is almost none, but we don't allow bacon that has tiny amounts of added sugar in the curing process), and 2) SWYPO (or possibly more habit -- which is addressed here:  https://whole30.com/wine-after-work/). Even if you wanted to argue with those, then it would basically be juice, and you're really encouraged not to drink juice. If anyone ever sees Melissa herself address this, whether she agrees with this or not, I'd be interested to know what she says. 

Same! I'd have thought it wasn't for the same reasons you've set out, but I was curious. Re the alcohol - if wine that's had the alcohol cooked out isn't ok, then I'd have thought this wasn't either.

The potassium metabisulfate is on the list of unacceptable additives. Here is a handy dandy list of acceptable and unacceptable additives - I have to check this all the time because I can’t remember haha. https://whole30.com/downloads/additives.pdf

Like the poster above said, it sounds like you’re trying to prop up a habit that may be worth removing and examining the motivation behind during your Whole30. I enjoy having  a compliant kombucha in a wine glass a few nights a week with dinner. It makes even an ordinary weekday feel special but I never want more than half a bottle at once, and also don’t crave it on the nights I have water instead. If you just like the ritual of having a festive beverage everyday, try kombucha or even a cup of hot tea in a pretty mug instead. 

Hope that helps! 

Archived