JenRaye's Whole30 Log

JenRaye

Today is Day 1 of R3 for me. I last did a round in January of this year. Went great. Major stress hit in February, and I have been off the rails ever since. Weight is up 25 lbs. I am miserable. Inflammation through the roof. Brain fog. Awful sleep. I'm lucky if I get 5 hours a night. You name it. I am using Whole30 as a reset. My plan is to use Food Freedom Forever as the foundation for a plan based on Grain Brain Whole Life Plan and/or Bredesen Protocol.

I had eggs with some berries and coffee with coconut milk for breakfast.

It's almost noon, and I'm hungry. Going to make a tuna salad with some slices of homegrown tomato on a bed of spinach. And water. Lots of water. 

Week 1...one meal left. 100% on plan for the week. I feel better already. Inflammation is down. I just wish my sleep would improve.

Meals planned for the coming week. Shopping is done...will need 2 things from Whole Foods or Trader Joes tomorrow and then will make a couple of meals tomorrow.

Week meal plan (I cook Monday, Wednesday/Thursday and weekends...leftovers make lunch and dinners following nights)

Egg Roll in a bowl

Cumin Beef Stir Fry

Whole30 chowder

Instant Pot White Chicken Chili

Day 8

I met a friend for coffee and knitting at Starbucks (my drink was a brewed chai tea...NOT the latte). Our weekly meet up...my day off. I ran out of the house with nothing to eat...and no plan. Not wise. I had to go by Trader Joes for some coconut aminos, nuts (anyone else having trouble finding compliant nuts anywhere else), and Bagel and 21 Seasoning Salute seasoning. I got an apple...a fairly small one...some macadamia nuts and cashews. Figured I could make breakfast out of that. The Starbucks has a Panera right next door, so I stuck my head in to see if they had anything that would work. I was on the way out and the manager asked if everything was okay. I told her I was looking for "just eggs," and she said that they could do that..."It's new!" Awesome! Sign me up...she offered hardboiled or scrambled, and they are served on a bed of greens...not dressed at all! For 1.99. I was thrilled! I'm not sure if the scrambled were compliant so went with the hardboiled...which were out of the fridge cold. I kept thinking of a fried or scrambled egg softening up the greens. :P

Knitted for a couple of hours with my friend...this is major decompression time for me, and then we explored a bookstore. Came home, read for a bit, and started supper...and JUST realized I had no lunch. I made two meals...one for now and one for later, so the family gets to pretend it's a restaurant...one with only two things on the menu.:D

15 hours ago, JenRaye said:

I had to go by Trader Joes for some coconut aminos, nuts (anyone else having trouble finding compliant nuts anywhere else), 

I was having trouble finding compliant nuts - tried two different grocery stores and it seemed like everything not topped with sugar was roasted in oil that included soy or peanut oil. When I got home, I found half a bag of pecans that I had previously purchased to use when baking something....and it was only then that I realized I was probably looking in the wrong section of the store. I was looking at the snack type nuts but a better place to look might be at the nuts down the baking aisle...they are generally not roasted or flavored. Haven't tested this theory out yet though....next shopping trip. 

I'm eating dry-roasted pistachios from the local grocery store...ingredients are pistachios and salt.  I know they are not the best choice as far as nuts go, but at least there's no oil or sugar.  

Also, I often buy little bags of macadamia nuts in the baking section - I think you'll have good luck looking there.  

On 9/10/2019 at 9:43 AM, heb2014 said:

I was having trouble finding compliant nuts - tried two different grocery stores and it seemed like everything not topped with sugar was roasted in oil that included soy or peanut oil. When I got home, I found half a bag of pecans that I had previously purchased to use when baking something....and it was only then that I realized I was probably looking in the wrong section of the store. I was looking at the snack type nuts but a better place to look might be at the nuts down the baking aisle...they are generally not roasted or flavored. Haven't tested this theory out yet though....next shopping trip. 

The baking aisle...of course! Thank you so much! I'll be checking it out this week!

Archived