Do I need to restart?

My fiancé and I are on Day 6. Between us, we've gone through a pack and a half of Applegate Farms Natural Sunday Bacon and we just picked up another pack at the local Whole Foods.

Seemed okay to me, but checking the label I see: 2% Of The Following: Evaporated Cane Syrup, Celery Powder

I need a ruling... Is it enough that I won't eat any more of it, and I'm putting an order in at US Wellness?

My opinion is that inadvertant sugar consumption is not a reason to start over. It doesn't do the kind of damage that sulphites or bad oils might do. The no sugar rule is more to tame a sugar dragon. Good that you caught it. They sneak sugar in so many foods.

A moderator will have to weigh in officially, but I don't think you have to start over. Although a lot of bacon is cured in sugar, the actual sugar content ends up quite low. I think the most important consideration with bacon is the quality of the bacon. Here is an interesting read on bacon by Diane over at Balanced Bites.

Enjoy your US Wellness bacon :)

• Moderators

Officially, you do not have to start over. :) Just freeze the Applegate Farms bacon until your Whole30 is complete.

You could do a bacon-free Whole30. There are many better protein choices to include in your meals.

Archived