Paleo Valley Beef Sticks

organiclover

Has anyone tried the Paleo Valley 100% grass-fed beef sticks? There is organic dextrose in the ingredients, however, this is what they say about that. Do you think this is approved? Would like your input...:

Is the organic dextrose used as a sweetener?

We're glad you asked because we use organic dextrose for a very health conscious reason. First, our dextrose is derived from 100% organic cassava root (also known as tapioca). It is NOT used as a sweetener at all. We use a very small, trace amount (about 1/4th of 1 gram per stick) for the sole purpose of activating the fermentation process. By the end of the ferment there is little to no dextrose remaining in the stick as it has been consumed by the beneficial probiotic bacteria. Third party lab analysis has confirmed there are 0 grams of sugar in our beef sticks*

This is an interesting question. I make my own salamis and have to add dextrose to kick off the fermentation. It's eaten during the process, exactly the same way the sugar in kombucha is eaten. I think there's a legitimate argument that so long as the destrose is derived from a compliant source, as this is, it would be compliant in the same way that kombucha is, but I suspect others would disagree :) I avoided it on my rounds, anyway. 

I brought this same topic up a while back and was told unequivocally by the mods that it is NOT OK. I disagree but avoid fermented sausages with dextrose if I am doing a W30 but do include them in my food freedom. I think one of their arguments is that it's a hard and fast rule because every single item that made that claim would have to be scrutinized and either given a thumbs-up or not, leading to confusion. Sad, because real, fermented salamis are delicious but I totally get it AND it's only 30 days;)

Archived