Two Questions

MLowe

Question 1: I am finding conflicting info in regard to canola oil. In It Starts With Food it says seed oils include canola oil shouldn't be used. But on the current website no mention of cutting them out is listed and when I Google it I find places that say it's not something we are require to remove while in Whole30 but they should be limited...so which is it? 

Also I'm having trouble with my exercise. I am trying to complete couch to 5k but I can't get through the week 2 runs anymore. Day one of whole 30 I did fine. But since I have started I can't seem to jog much at all. I run at 5AM as soon as I get out of bed. Eating first and waiting isn't really an option because I have to be ready to wake my son by 6am and get him out the door by 6:40. Trying to work out after work isn't ideal and often means I dont do it because I have 4 kids and by the time I'm finished with dinner, baths, homework, bedtime etc I am just too tired. Right after work doesn't work well either because of aforementioned 4 kids plus that's kind of hubby's workout time at least a few days a week. So...what can I do to stop having trouble in this area?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Moderators

Canola oil should be limited, mostly to times such as when you're at a restaurant or someone else is cooking and you don't really have control over what oils are used, not in your own home where you'll be using more of them and have more control. 

As you adjust to this way of eating, your workouts may suffer for the first week or two. Rather than focusing on completing the couch to 5k as scheduled, you might need to hold steady where you are now, but you should see improvement in a few days, just hang in there.

Thank you Shannon. I went back and reviewed what I have been eating and even though I haven't been particularly hungry and I have definitely felt like I'm eating enough I have found that calorie wise I'm hitting between 900 and 1400 calories a day when before I was shooting for 1800. And I haven't been eating much starchy vegetables so I think maybe adding in a good size serving of starches at dinner might help too. Thanks for the clarification on the oil. Good to know it's not 100% off plan but just needs to be minimized. 

Archived