Can I have Recess sparkling water?

jessie_nyc

I have been scouring this forum and Google, and haven't found this mentioned anywhere, as it's a relatively new product.

Are Recess drinks allowed? Specifically, the Peach Ginger flavor, as it has the fewest ingredients: Filtered Water, Peach Concentrate, Peach Juice Concentrate, Peach Juice Nectar, Organic Ginger, Schisandra Powder, Ginseng Powder, L Theanine Powder, Full Spectrum Hemp Oil (10mg).

My reasons for asking are the hemp oil and "sugar." I also included a photo of the nutrition information.

Re: Full Spectrum Hemp Oil. I'm personally not into CBD products, but have had these prior to my Whole30 and appreciated the mild calming affect they had on me during particularly anxious days. I have struggled with clinical depression/anxiety in the past, and eventually went off medications due to negative side effects. I only bring this up to mention that no, a doctor did not prescribe this sparkling water to me, but it does help when I can't slow down my brain/heart rate with simply a walk in fresh air, etc. I was a regular/nightly wine drinker and this was something I endeavored to work on with this Whole30 (my first in many years). While I definitely don't want to replace one substance with another, I honestly don't see this as anywhere equivalent to my enjoyment of red wine, and isn't something I ever drank with any sort of regularity as it makes me drowsy (again - a last resort when anxiety/focus is bad).

Re: Total Sugars. Is it referring to the concentrate and nectar when mentioning "Includes 3g of Added Sugars?" They can't add sugar and not list it in the ingredients, can they? It is about as "sweet" as LaCroix, so it's not doing anything for my sugar dragon...

Anyway, would love to hear someone else's thoughts on this. Thanks!

YOBmD0e1RUSuW4Pu4gb6yw.jpg

1 hour ago, slc_melissa said:

Pretty sure the "peach nectar" rules it out.  Although not specifically called out in the sneaky sugar download, https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-sugar.pdf, it certainly falls in the same realm as other nectars or monk fruit extract.  In my opinion this product is best saved until after a Whole30.

But if the nectar was comprised of other ingredients, wouldn't they have to list them?

I'm not saying there is anything else in the nectar, I'm saying that nectar, being a concentrated thing to make something sweet, falls outside of how I would interpret the Whole30 guidelines: "Do not consume added sugar, real or artificial." is the first thing on the "No" list here:

https://whole30.com/downloads/official-whole30-program-rules.pdf

Fruit juice is allowed, but even then it's not recommended to drink it:

Fruit Juice: Yes

Fruit juice is the only acceptable added sweetener on the Whole30. (We had to draw the line somewhere.) Use it to flavor sauces, soups, or entrees.

Tip: While drinking a glass of fruit juice is technically compliant, we really wouldn’t recommend it, even if you juice it yourself. Juicing strips many of the nutrients out of the fruit, but still leaves all of the sugar. We’d much rather you just eat the fruit.

Yes, I get that this is not a glass of fruit juice, and it's often recommended on the forum to add a small splash of fruit juice to water when people are looking to liven plain water up, but even if you make the argument that peach nectar is a form of fruit juice and technically compliant, I'd still stand by leaving it out of a Whole30.  It's also possible nectar means different things in different places.

Archived