First Journal

MadyVanilla

My gym workout was great last night - I was definitely feeling the squats in my knee, but I can also tell that I'm getting stronger.  This is what I need to do to protect my knee.  Yoga relieved the pain, and I didn't have to ice or take ibuprofen last night.  Sleep was good.  I wasn't hungry again this morning, but I ate anyway.  I've had a headache a good portion of the day, but I think that may be a little bit hunger, a little bit dehydration.  I haven't drank as much water today as usual, either.   My skin is still breaking out, too - I don't know why that is.  At first, I thought it was because of Saturday's diet but now I'm not so sure.  It's almost like my body is getting rid of toxins, but I would have expected this around my original day 6.  Maybe I'm getting ready to start my period.  My birth control usually prevents periods, but every now and then I have one, so maybe that's what's going on.  

Day 6

Energy - 7, pain - 0

B-Applegate Farms turkey and ham with mustard and mayo to dip it in

L-Leftover Chicken Tangine

D-Homemade chicken salad with vegetables.  

I'm contemplating going for a walk at the gym.  I'm certain I won't get too far on the treadmill, but at least it's something.  

I didn’t have time to post yesterday, but it was a good day.  I started out the morning with a trip to the church bazaar with my MIL.  Home for lunch, which I wasn’t really hungry for.  I worked on a project that required several trips up and down the stairs - it wasn’t that long ago that I was avoiding going up and down the stairs as much as possible.  Then we went out with friends to see one of our friend’s new band play.  Again, I was DD.  We got home really late, and then I had to be up early for breakfast.  

Day 7

Energy 9 pain 0

B-4 eggs cooked in ghee, slathered with chili lime mayo

L-leftover chicken and mayo, but I wasn’t that hungry so didn’t eat most of it.

D-taco salad with compliant ingredients.  This meal included the only vegetables I ate all day.  

I drank club soda and water all night at the bar.  

Day 8

Up early for monthly breakfast with my brother and dad.  I ordered my eggs scrambled without milk, the waiter looked at me like I had two heads.  He said, “so you want real eggs?”  Umm, yeah, I always want real eggs.  What’s the other stuff??  My plan after breakfast was to go to the grocery store, then to the gym to get in a weight workout before yoga class.  But I ended up going home and back to sleep for an hour.  No guilt, I was listening to my body.  Then I got up, took a book, and went to the beach for an hour.  I stopped at the grocery store on the way home.  When i got home, i sat on the back deck and read some more.  I pushed the meal prep back until just about dinner time - it worked out fine.  I just got Well Fed 2, and wanted to try braised short ribs and gingered zucchini soup for the upcoming week.  So, I prepped the ribs, put them in the crockpot, started the soup going so it could simmer for an hour, and then started dinner.  While dinner was cooking, I was cooking bacon in the microwave and bagels in the toaster for my son’s breakfast sandwiches.  After dinner, I cooked the eggs, assembled the sandwiches, Cleaned the kitchen, and blended the soup.  I think it took about 2 hours all in all, and I feel very efficient.  Especially after doing a lazy morning and afternoon.  

Energy 6, pain 2 (knee bothering me a little  tonight after walking on the beach and standing in the kitchen for a long time)

B-2 eggs scrambled, piece of salty ham, potatoes and onions

L-Chipotle carne asada bowl - took to beach with me

D-Seared salmon with mixed vegetables

Day 9

Yesterday was such an incredibly tough day...a young adult that grew up in our neighborhood was murdered.  He and my son were great friends (along with the other boys in our community), hanging out most days exploring the woods, playing basketball and football, riding bikes, etc.  His older sister and my daughter were inseparable all through middle and high school.  It's such a terrible tragedy.  I met both my children for lunch right after we all heard the news.  Then there was a school meeting (about senior activities) and a candlelight vigil in the evening.  I just can't even imagine the pain these parents are experiencing.  We were once close to them, too.  There are just no words...

My eating habits were fine, the biggest impact for me in my health world was in the gym.  I just couldn't concentrate to get my heavy squats done.  I ended up just doing yoga.  

B-4 eggs cooked in ghee, topped with chimichurri sauce

L-sashimi and romaine salad with no dressing

D-Chipotle carne asada bowl - no time to go home for dinner, and I was too hungry to wait until I was done for the evening.  

Day 10

I'm still having issues with my skin breaking out and not being as clear as it was a few weeks ago.  I'm suspecting it might be all the eggs I'm eating.  I now remember thinking something similar last time I did a Whole 30, but I never completely eliminated eggs.  I *think* I'm okay with eggs in small portions, but eating 10 eggs in 3 days is probably not working for me.  So, I'm eliminating eggs at least for the next week.  A mini-elimination within the Whole 30.  If I can come up with egg-less breakfasts to take me out longer, I'll do that.  I have also skimped on the vegetables over the last few days, with most of my meals full of proteins and fats.  Maybe that's the issue, too - too few vegetables.    

B-Mug of gingered zucchini soup (Well Fed recipe)- Delicious! 

L-Chipotle carne asada bowl.  This is the 3rd day in a row, yesterday and today because it's just been too much to think about or fix something.  I need to get away from this for a few days.  

D-Chicken and kale with olive and leek sauce

Yoga tonight.  

Day 11

Not much to report today.  I slept well, my skin looks better (no - it’s the eggs!), my energy is good.  A little more pain today, but not intolerable.  I think it might be because I’ve been walking more through the day.  I had a great workout tonight - took a free CrossFit class with a friend - deadlifts and lunges (ugh!)

Energy=9, pain=2

B-zucchini soup

L-leftover chicken and kale from last night’s dinner

D-Ribs and riced cauliflower with ghee

Day 12 

It's pretty amazing how easy this gets to be after a while.  Prepping is the key.  The hardest part has been avoiding non-compliant stuff away from home.  I ended up starting 3 days later than intended, and had to restart twice - once because I was rushed in decision-making and forgot about Parmesan cheese on a salad and the other again due to poor preparation and not remembering that teriyaki sauce was going to be all over my beef and broccoli.  I wouldn't have worried about restarting, except that I really want to know how I'm impacted by both dairy and soy.  I suspect that dairy gives my GI issues, and soy makes me itch.  I used to think it was gluten in foods that made me itch when I touched them, even though the food didn't seem to have any gluten in it.  Now I suspect it may be soy.  I'm pretty sure that gluten makes my joints hurt - I know it causes me to bloat tremendously.  I absolutely have a sugar dragon, and with my family history of diabetes I need to be careful (as I approach the age when both my mother and grandmothers were diagnosed).  And now it seems that too many eggs cause skin problems.  I want to get to a place where I can consciously share a bottle of wine and a good cheese with friends, but then the next day be able to get myself right back onto the Whole 30/paleo wagon.  Are there people who eat Whole 30 most of the time?  If I actually am sensitive to all these things I've cut out, then I will have to maintain a Whole 30 eating style the majority of the time.  At least maybe I'll be able to have corn taco shells and chips...I guess I'm thinking about reintroduction because yesterday would have been my 30th day if not for the Chinese food fiasco.  I still have plenty of time to plan and figure things out.  Also, I need to be thinking ahead about a Rocky Horror party I'm having at my house in 2 weeks (Day 27).  Originally, this was going to be my reintroduction of wine day.  Now, I have to rethink that....

Energy=8, pain=2

I'm a little down today, hence the lower energy.  Some body soreness from last night's workout, a stressful week, and I feel like I need some sleep.  I've been averaging just over six hours a sleep all week, I tend to do better with a little over seven.  My knee/leg has been bothering me today, too.  Tightening up more while I'm walking.  Yoga tonight will help, hopefully.  

B-zucchini soup

L-Chipotle bowl (yes, again.  This is where my lack of lunch prep last weekend is getting to me)

D-Compliant Italian sausages with vegetables

NSV

A close friend noticed my weight loss yesterday.  

Day 13

I woke up at 4:30 this morning and couldn't really get back to sleep, so I got up at 5:00 and showered.  Last winter, when I was waking up so early, I would get up and go for a walk.  I thought about doing that this morning, but I worried that my knee would stiffen up too much.  So I watched the news and napped lightly for about an hour.  I should get back into that habit of going for a walk though, or doing yoga on my back deck first thing.  Those were good habits I once had.  

Energy=8 (it's close to 2:00, no ill effects from my early awakening);  pain =0

B-zucchini soup

L-Ribs and leftover vegetables from last night

D-I'm not sure if we are going out or not.  If not, dinner will be spicy chicken with a cucumber and cabbage salad.  

Last night's yoga class was amazing- a substitute instructor.  I felt so great after the class.  I'm contemplating whether or not to lift tonight,  I couldn't get it done Monday and Wednesday was just DLs.  I really like lifting and then doing yoga afterward, it helps stretch out my leg and knee.  I'll make a game time decision on that.  

Yesterday was spent mostly at the funeral of our neighbor.  Such a long, tough day.  I’m still feeling drained today.  I came home afterward and put on a yoga video of vin poses - the ones that are held for several minutes.  That helped some.  I fell asleep pretty early and ended up sleeping almost 8 hours.  Today, I’m very low in energy.  My hip and knee hurt, but I have done a few things around the house.  I need to go to the store, then meal prep for the week.  I actually already made a breakfast hash for brunch this morning.  There is plenty left over to get me through a good part of the week.  

Day 14

Energy-8, pain-3 when home from funeral, 0 after yoga

B-carrot ginger soup

L-roast beef, ham, crudités vegetables with mayo/mustard/horseradish mixed together (food at the gathering after the funeral)

D-steak stirfry

Day 15

Energy-6, pain-3

B/L - 8 vegetable  breakfast hash - potatoes, onions, carrot, squash, pepper, tomato, zucchini, cabbage and left over rib meat from last week.  

D - chicken Balinese with cucumber salad

I cleaned/straightened out the pantry this morning.  There is so much terrible food in there.  My husband has absolutely no intent in eating even a little healthy (every 3 months or so he’ll feel like he should eat a salad.)  My 17-year old son is interested, but his Dad buys spaghettios, kraft Mac n Cheese, and all sorts of frozen convenience  foods.    My son will eat well if I prepare for him, but he wont eat leftovers that he has to warm up.  So he reaches for the canned spaghetti, etc.  I have very little trouble avoiding their foods when I’m eating well, thankfully.  But there is no hope for me with all this junk around (I didn’t mention the cookies, Tastycakes, etc.) if I fall off the wagon.   A real NSV for me is that none of those foods are even remotely tempting or appealing to me.  I worry that during reintroduction, I will be tempted though (as has happened before) and I’ll spin out of control.   

Last night’s dinner ended up being chicken salad and cucumber slices that I made as part of my week’s lunch prep.  It was delicious.  I really do enjoy these foods most of the time.  Not much to report today.  I slept well last night.  A good yoga class tonight, that’s it.  

Day 16

Energy=9, pain=0

B-hash I made yesterday

L-burger with a lettuce “bun”, sliced tomato, jalapeños, lettuce   I forgot we were having our monthly lunch with retired staff.  Not much to choose from on the menu without making a big deal of things.  

D-zesty garlic pork made in the slow cooker over shredded raw cabbage and mayo.  Omg this is good.  I’m trying it out as a party recipe.   

NSV

A person who hadn’t seen me in a while said I looked great :D  Then she commented that it was my hair :unsure: .  I will take it-it was nice to get the compliment!

Day 17

Energy - 9, pain - 1.  Hip is bothering me some today.  I finally made an appointment with my chiropractor, but won't be able to see her until next week.  Maybe she'll have an answer for this hip/thigh/knee thing that doesn't seem to be related to osteoarthritis. 

B-leftover hash

L-Chicken salad and cucumber slices

D-chicken Balinese salad

Yoga class tonight.  

Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted since Tuesday.   I've just been plugging along.  I was feeling some food boredom toward the end of last week, and ended up eating pistachios several times to keep myself away from carby/snacky stuff.  On Saturday, I got a last minute invite to a wine festival, that included a DD.  I decided that I would have wine, and use the day as a reintroduction-type of day.  Even though I have not officially made 30 straight days (Chinese food fiasco), I feel well enough into this that I'm pretty set in the good habits.  Plus, I have an off-plan day scheduled for this Friday, as I'm having a party.  I'm figuring at this point that I won't get an actual Whole 30 in until after Christmas.  But I'm okay with that.  I'll continue to track, continue to eat Whole-30 meals unless I plan an off-day and do a planned reintroduction of some foods that I've actually gone 30-days without.  Gluten, soy, and dairy are the ones I'm mainly concerned about, though I'm still not eating eggs.  So, I'll continue to count my days for that purpose.  As far as the wine, no adverse impact.  I didn't even have a headache from it, which is unusual - maybe because everything else is in line?  The one issue I did have was that I did not drink nearly as much water as I normally do.  But it was a fun day and worth going off-road.  I had no issue getting back on plan on Sunday.     

I still have my chiropractor appointment scheduled for Thursday, but also have an appointment with a knee surgeon tomorrow.  Saturday at the wine festival I couldn't walk very far without having to stop and rest.  Yesterday, I couldn't even shop around a store without everything tightening up and the limping/pain starting.  This is ridiculous.  Nothing I'm doing is working.  It's really frustrating because my energy level is so high - I want to do so much stuff.  But I'm so limited by my knee.  Hopefully, tomorrow will provide answers.  

My mom will be visiting next week, during Halloween!  She is diabetic and follows a keto-diet.  It will be fun and easy doing Whole 30 while she's here - we will keep each other in check.  I'm not exactly sure about the differences between keto and whole 30, except that I think she eats some dairy and just counts the carbs in it.  At least she'll keep me away from the Halloween candy.  

Day 23  

Energy - 9, pain -1 right now.  As long as I'm sitting, it's all good.  

B-Homemade chicken salad-mayo (so I'm getting a little egg here), celery, apple, chicken.  I used to always buy the rotisserie chickens to make this, but it is really delicious to poach my own chicken and mix it up with homemade mayo and my own seasonings.  

L-Green goddess chicken salad from Panera, sans bacon  

D-greek hamburger with arugula grape salad

Yoga tonight, I may try to lift a little before class.  It depends on how I'm feeling and if there's space available in the gym.  

Physical therapy and pain meds were the outcome of the knee surgeon visit yesterday.  With a follow-up scheduled in December.  I'm not confident about the PT - I exercise, I do yoga several times a week, I ice, take hot mineral baths, do all the things that I should be doing to manage pain.  But maybe there's something the PT will teach me that I didn't learn last time I went.  Good news - doctor's weigh-in showed I've lost 21 pounds!

Another mini off-road:  I had a handful of corn chips yesterday with my lunch.  I got free chips and guacamole from Chipotle.  With that extra, I was stuffed and kind of miserable all afternoon.  I'm not sure if it was too much food or the corn.  No other noticeable symptoms.  I'll try again when an opportunity presents that I don't want to pass up.  

Day 25

Energy - 9, Pain-0

Exact same menu as day 23.  

I'm going to be journaling everyday for the next week or so...I had a bit of a rough weekend.  Friday was a planned off-road day due to a Halloween party I had at our house.  Most of the menu items were Whole-30 friendly (Chocolate chili, harvest chicken salad, green salad), but I also made a caramelized onion and bacon dip (with bacon, cream cheese and sour cream and gluten-free crackers) and a broccoli salad (with bacon and a little honey in the mayo sauce).  Additionally, the specialty drink was a pumpkin spice martini (lots of cream-based alcohol and sugar syrup).  Additionally, I made a pumpkin spice ice tea with some keto-friendly maple syrup as a sweetener.  Friends brought low-carb and low-sugar dishes (chicken and zoodles, butternut squash casserole, meat and cheese platter) dependent upon the diets they follow, too.  I did not go crazy with the food, had a martini, drank some wine, and really, really enjoyed the company of my friends!  

Saturday morning, I ate some chicken salad for breakfast, drank a cup of the iced tea and cleaned up the party.  There were tootsie rolls leftover in bowls (needed for a party activity that did not involve eating them!), as well as mixed nuts.  I decided to gather all the tootsie rolls into one bowl and leave them on the counter for my son and husband to eat.  For lunch, I ate a big bowl of the leftover broccoli salad (even though I was well aware it was not Whole-30 compliant - it was paleo and I didn't want to waste it because it's so good), with another big cup of the tea.  My afternoon and evening was busy, dinner was a Whole-30 compliant coconut shrimp and cucumber salad. We went over to a friend's for a fire - I brought the bottle of leftover wine that was too expensive and too good to let go to waste.  I finished that bottle of wine (about 2 glasses) then switched to water.  All was good.  In my mind, I knew I would need to get back to strict by Monday (still some tea and broccoli salad left), but was proud of myself for off-roading pretty well and thought that if this was Food Freedom, I could really enjoy and live this way.  Additionally, I hadn't felt any ill effects from Friday's night's excess of sugar and the little bit of dairy in the martini.    

Sunday was another story.  I hadn't slept well, skipped a planned breakfast with my dad and brother. It was a dreary, rainy day and seemed a good day to read a book.  So that's mostly what I did.  I again had chicken salad for breakfast and another cup of pumpkin spice tea.  About mid-morning the tootsie rolls on the counter were beginning to bother me...none seemed to have been eaten.  I grabbed a handful of mixed nuts and went back to my book.  I interspersed some chores in with reading, and then for lunch, finished the broccoli salad and another cup of tea.  I decided that since I was trying to avoid the tootsie rolls, I should try some of the bacon dip.  I hadn't eaten any of it anyway, and I had lots of veggie dippers that I could eat with it.  So I did that.  I went back for more and added the gluten-free crackers, since I was already off-track.  And besides, they were made of rice and nuts.  The rationalizations were strong.  About mid-afternoon, my son came in and I asked why he wasn't eating the tootsie rolls (still on my mind!).  He said he didn't like them - I should have thrown them away right then.  Instead, I decided to eat two, since I was off-track anyway and tomorrow was a new day.  Well, I ended up eating all of them (about 20).  Nearly immediately, I became sleepy and had a stomachache (maybe the cheese and sour cream in the dip?). I slept for about 2 hours last evening, and still had an upset stomach this morning.  

Lessons learned-while one day of off-road is ok, I can't tolerate even small amounts of sugar over the course of a few days.  My sugar dragon takes very little to be awakened.  And then it tricks me into rationalizing my actions.  I really need to do the off-day and get back on course for a day or two before indulging again.  Even things that aren't sugar but taste sweet (the keto syrup in the tea) have an adverse impact on me.  My best bet is to send home non-compliant things with friends, freeze leftovers if I'm able, or just throw them away.  The one positive was that I was finally hungry for some dinner last night around 9:30 - all that sounded appealing was a steak-um with some Primal Palate gyro seasoning.  So at least I wasn't still wanting to hit up the sugary stuff.  

Today, I have that old feeling of a sugar hangover.  Fuzzy headed, dull headache, tired, crampy stomach, low energy.  I do not want to go back to living every day like this - this is awful.  

Day 1 (though I'm not planning to do another Whole 30 until January - I'm still going to track the number of days of Whole-30 compliant eating)

Energy-5, pain-0 (at least the gluten-free crackers had their place! haha)

B-chicken salad, water

L-Chipotle bowl

D-Mediterranean lemon chicken with veggies

Exercise-yoga.  

I was so tired all day yesterday, even took a short nap over my lunch break.  I felt a little better after that.  I loaded my plate with veggies last night and ended up not being able to eat them all because I was stuffed.  But then I went for two handfuls of mixed nuts.  Craving something else to eat even though I had just gotten rid of the last 1/2 cup of vegetables-I think that was a leftover vestige of the sugar high.  I slept well last night and woke up ready to go this morning.  I wasn't hungry for breakfast, so didn't eat anything.    I will have done a 15-hour fast by the time I eat lunch in the next hour.  I'm starting to get hungry now.  Amazingly, I'm feeling much better today, more like how I've been over the last few weeks.  I'm glad it hasn't taken me long to bounce back.  My skin is a different story, however.  A major breakout.  I never realized my skin was so sensitive to diet.  

Day 2

Energy-9, Pain-0

B-Not hungry, didn't eat

L-Chicken salad over a variety of raw vegetables

D-Taco salad

I need lots of vegetables and water to get my skin back on track!  Is off-roading even worth the aftereffects?  I'm questioning that...

I may take a yoga class tonight.  I still have a lot to do for Mom's arrival tomorrow.  I also have my first physical therapy appointment and a chiropractor appointment tomorrow.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tuesday's meals:

coconut milk and OJ smoothie

Leftover beef for lunch

Home from work early due to horrible headache - carb flu, plus no caffeine, plus impending bad weather?  I went to bed and slept for over an hour.  Dinner was some chicken breast, then back to bed for the night.  I woke up this morning with the same pounding headache, just trying to push through.  I've had some green tea this morning, which helped a little.  

Same breakfast

salad with chicken, olives, olive oil for lunch - I did take a 5 minute walk to go get my lunch.  It's blustery outside, but I think the fresh air helped a little.  

Pain = 5 (headache), energy 3

Archived