Jan 7 starters group

Stepford WASP

melliemoo, your menu looks delicious! One of my favorite, simple (usually summer) lunches is grilled chicken, 1/2 avocado with sea salt, and blueberries. If a little of the salt gets onto the berries, it only brings out their sweetness.

One thing about Marsala, per ISWF, cooking with booze is verboten.

I am surprised at how vigilant I need to be. I guess if it's something I can't pluck from a tree or dig out of the ground or chuck a spear at, I need to carefully check ingredients. Who'd think there would be carageenan in coconut milk or brown sugar in Trader Joe's low sodium turkey breast.

My cat was extremely happy about my turkey mistake, and I no longer have to sleep with one eye open.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hm, I googled Marsala and Paleo and found many places saying it was okay. Oh well, I'll use balsamic next time.

I'm a good ingredient reader due to keeping kosher, but now I have many more things to look for. It can feel overwhelming at times!

Day three here and I am dragging my butt. I don't have much physical energy and not very much mental focus either. I just don't feel like doing anything except watch tv (although I did manage to do an easy workout this morning).

I haven't slept well at all the last two nights, but it could be from not having my glass(es) of wine before bed.

No headaches, no nausea, just feeling unmotivated.

I also woke up feeling depressed and deprived...definitely not positive! No wine for 30 days is messing with me.

Hugs, Melelina. I'm sorry you're feeling down.

Wine definitely messes with sleep. When I quit drinking 19 months ago, it took 2-4 weeks for my sleep to regulate, but then it got great! But I've been drinking on/off for the past couple of months so I'm thinking that's what is messing with my sleep too.

I am also very tired.

How many calories per day are y'all consuming, or are you not counting?

What do you typically do for fats? I'm getting mine from avocado and coconut oil right now.

I'm not a huge fruit eater, is it okay to eat more veggies and less fruit?

Mel,

I'm not counting calories, but I'm learning that I need to eat way more than what I have previously thought was 'a lot'. Veggies are WAY better than fruits. ISWF recommends something around 2+ serving of veggies each meal and then just an occasional fruit.

For fat, I've been doing a lot of coconut oil, making the homemade mayo dressings from ISWF and adding a little olive oil on top of my finished 'masterpieces'. I'm experimenting with using ghee as a cooking oil too.

Have a great (as possible) Day 3! I just keep focusing on the 'magic' that will happen in a week or two!

Hm, I googled Marsala and Paleo and found many places saying it was okay. Oh well, I'll use balsamic next time.

I'm a good ingredient reader due to keeping kosher, but now I have many more things to look for. It can feel overwhelming at times!

Keep in mind just because something is "paleo" doesn't mean it's whole 30 approved. For example, a lot of people who eat Paleo also eat cheese and drink alcohol, but those two things are a no no on the whole 30.

Mel,

I'm not counting calories, but I'm learning that I need to eat way more than what I have previously thought was 'a lot'. Veggies are WAY better than fruits. ISWF recommends something around 2+ serving of veggies each meal and then just an occasional fruit.

For fat, I've been doing a lot of coconut oil, making the homemade mayo dressings from ISWF and adding a little olive oil on top of my finished 'masterpieces'. I'm experimenting with using ghee as a cooking oil too.

Have a great (as possible) Day 3! I just keep focusing on the 'magic' that will happen in a week or two!

I'm wondering if I need to up my intake or something, because the way I feel right now is ridiculous. Since I slept a billion hours last night, it was quite awhile between when I had dinner and when I had breakfast. By the time I sat down for breakfast I was feeling pretty shaky, and right now I still feel a little shaky and really low energy. What do I do?

How many calories per day are y'all consuming, or are you not counting?

What do you typically do for fats? I'm getting mine from avocado and coconut oil right now.

I'm not counting calories. Instead, I'm seeing how long a meal keeps me satisfied and making adjustments as needed. For example, Day 1 went pretty well, but Day 2 I ate less fat and no sweet potatoes, and was hungry between meals, so I'm re-upping those things today.

I've only used EVOO and avocado so far, but I have olives on hand. I don't really care for coconut, but I plan to get some coconut milk to try when I am in the vicinity of Whole Foods. My local grocery store has coconut butter. When I am feeling better, I may try to clarify my own butter.

Eating more veggies is just fine. I need to eat more, myself!

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not counting calories per se, but I also keep a food log at My Fitness Pal and I'm surprised to see the amount of calories I am consuming! I don't feel like I'm eating too much though, and I stay full between meals, so I guess it's all okay.

Jessica, I'm learning that Paleo and Whole30 are different! I'm not doing dairy or alcohol. If you are feeling shaky, I would suggest some more fat, it's possibly a carb crash, but I'm new to this so take me with a grain of salt.

Maybe others will disagree with me, but I doubt there's a single nutrient in fruit that you can't get in veggies. Maybe some enzymes. Pineapple is rich in bromelain, but I bet greens outperform any fruit enzyme. Also, I think anyone who is insulin resistant might have an easier time releasing fat and/or adhering to the Whole30 if fruit is limited.

Whole30 people who are already fit can probably get away with eating lots of fruit, but not me. If I up the fruit intake, I won't drop fat. I am currently adding a very small handful of berries to Meals 1 and 2, or 1/4 orange. Not for the nutrients. I know I can get all I need from vegetables. I just like to eat the fruit last to cleanse my palette. But then I brush my teeth, so I probably need not bother.

I am not counting calories. Weight loss is a goal, along with balanced hormones (the latter will expedite the former), but if I don't see a good drop next month when I weigh, I'll have to re-evaluate what I have been eating.

Right now I am not hungry. At. All. So my first week's food will be light while my hormones start gearing up. I am sure I'll be hungrier next week and I'll increase the veggies and add 1/3 sweet potato to each meal. Right now I am focusing on getting plenty of high-quality protein at each meal and punting on the rest. I am eating veggies, but I could eat a lot more.

My fat comes from coconut, avocado, EVOO, ghee, and homemade lard, made from grass-finished cattle (no evil things lurking in the fat).

A paleo diet with dairy? That seems strange. But paleo is just a way of eating, not a religion. And unless I feel tons better after eliminating dairy, it will surely be the first (probably only) think I experiment with during re-introduction, but that's a long way off.

Ok. Day 2 and I feel like I got run over by a large vehicle. Wine withdraw, I'm sure. I hate my black coffee. Tea is worse. I know change is coming, but this is hard. Am eating great from the recipes from Well Fed though. Delicious. I think there is crack in bread.

Yes crack is in bread and cheese too I think!

Try coconut milk in your coffee or flavored teas I like a chocolate/mint oolong that is tasty.

Whining for wine too no suggestions there.

I am loving the recipes too it's not that I don't like veggies it's just that I need to prepare them to be tasty and that takes work!

I just had some raw Jicama yummmmers!!!

Oh, I'm sorry. Is it vinegar? I assumed you were talking about wine. I STFU now. :)

No, Marsala cooking wine. I think balsamic would have tasted fine as a substitute.

I do like berries in things like salad, but eating most fruit is for me, not so easy. Plus I think there is still a good bit of sugar in fruit, right?

I wonder why dairy is not allowed, although cow is. Interesting. Did they not milk cows in the caveman days, LOL? I'm with you on the dairy, I think I'm sensitive to it, but I may try to reintroduce it after this is done. I don't eat a lot of it, mostly just cheese and not in excess.

Jessica, I don't feel shaky, just tired. Do you think you are eating enough? I don't know how much (if any) you were drinking, but I was terribly shaky when I quit alcohol until my body settled down.

~~~

Lunch was again salad with grilled chicken breast, an avocado, grape tomatoes, and a small handful of cashews. Interestingly, I had been using up some commercial dressing I had at work (I know it's a no-no, but I'm not going to beat myself up over the little things), and it upset my stomach tremendously. Same thing happened when I ate this dressing on Monday. I've eaten all the other items with no tummy upset, so I threw the dressing in the trash and will make my own. A recipe I love:

1/2 cup olive oil

3T red wine (or other) vinegar

1 clove crushed garlic

1 tsp salt

Shake well and serve.

I'm wondering if I need to up my intake or something, because the way I feel right now is ridiculous. Since I slept a billion hours last night, it was quite awhile between when I had dinner and when I had breakfast. By the time I sat down for breakfast I was feeling pretty shaky, and right now I still feel a little shaky and really low energy. What do I do?

Once I ate more this morning, I felt a lot better. I focused on upping my fat and protein - and added some more starchy veggies in hopes it would help the lightheaded feeling. I'm not sure which worked, but something better!

Good luck and I hope it passes!

Hey everyone! I am on day 4!

So far things are going pretty well. I feel physically good and mentally great!

My journey started sort of abruptly. On Sunday (Jan 6) I decided at 1pm to start, started looking through the forum, got really excited and since everything I'd eaten so far had been compliant I said lets start today! SOO that's great but it's made for sort of a weird week as I didn't really plan. I try to eat maybe 70% paleo but little things like cheese and legumes are throwing me off from my even moderately paleo options from before. The other day I got a salad and knew I should have gotten something a little heartier like beets where I might have previously gotten chickpeas or cheese and didn't. WORST workout. I have never felt so weak. BUT we are all learning right?! Stocked up on starchy veg and we're good to go! (Seems this is a common mistake as I read through the thread)

Had a little grape-binge (the things you can NOT say to your non-W30 friends if you don't want to be committed) and sugar headache! No joke. Other than the workout situation I feel really great. I struggle with depression and (as experienced with previous sugar detoxes) I already feel so much clearer, happier, optimistic, etc! In previous sugar-free episodes I have literally had people say to me "holy crap, lay off the sugar!" because I'm so much perkier. I say its my sugar-free high!!

Happy DayWhatever Everyone!!

After reading the Timeline post, I am quite surprised by how good I feel overall today because "The Hangover" perfectly describes how I feel most of the time. I typically only have 3-4 days mid-cycle that I get to feel like a normal human. However, today was also one of those days. I hope it continues.

The problems I am having are: difficulty falling asleep, still not hungry when I wake up in the mornings, but getting hungry between meals. I'll keep adjusting my portions.

Made it to day 4!

Ok - question about calories. I know we're not supposed to be counting, but I am also worried about how little I've been eating. My "recommended" amount is 2100-2300 because I'm tall and very active. Before whole30, I was constantly hungry and ate lots of meals and snacks every day. Yesterday, I only ate 1400 calories! Is this okay??? Or is it somehow different based on the sources of your calories? Also, the website I used calculated 47% fat! Is that too much, even for this program? My stomach has been feeling full (and bulging out like it never does).

I feel a bit foggy in the head today. I can't tell if that's because I haven't eaten enough or not. Usually I know what that feels like, but it's normally more of a "sugar low" feeling. all I know is that I couldn't force myself to eat anything because i feel so full after my breakfast of a hardboiled egg and sausage patty.

As to sleep - I'm a great sleeper normally, but I have not been sleeping well. Also I've been waking up with "hot flashes" in the middle of the night...

I guess I was warned the beginning would be tough, so I'm pushing on! Good luck to everyone else!

I typically only have 3-4 days mid-cycle that I get to feel like a normal human. However, today was also one of those days. I hope it continues.

I totally hear you on this, dragonfly! Isn't it amazing feeling like, "Maybe this is not the way it has to be!"

Day 4....I was hoping to feel like killing all the things like the timeline post says, but instead I woke up feeling shaky and exhausted still. This is getting ridiculous.

Hang in there - as I understand, each of us goes through different stages at our own pace depending on exactly where we were to begin with. I'm not having an energetic day, either. But I'm trusting that it will come! :)

Day 4- Still have a mild headache which is not surprising since over my winter break I had between 4-10 diet cokes a day. Yesterday's was horrific but a cup of hot tea and lots of sleep seemed to help. This morning I've had a small cup of coffee with a little bit of coconut milk so hopefully that will stave off the migraine-like feeling. I have to plan better for next week. I need some root veggies to sustain me and some grab-n-go options for breakfast.

Made it to day 4!

Ok - question about calories. I know we're not supposed to be counting, but I am also worried about how little I've been eating. My "recommended" amount is 2100-2300 because I'm tall and very active. Before whole30, I was constantly hungry and ate lots of meals and snacks every day. Yesterday, I only ate 1400 calories! Is this okay??? Or is it somehow different based on the sources of your calories? Also, the website I used calculated 47% fat! Is that too much, even for this program? My stomach has been feeling full (and bulging out like it never does).

I feel a bit foggy in the head today. I can't tell if that's because I haven't eaten enough or not. Usually I know what that feels like, but it's normally more of a "sugar low" feeling. all I know is that I couldn't force myself to eat anything because i feel so full after my breakfast of a hardboiled egg and sausage patty.

As to sleep - I'm a great sleeper normally, but I have not been sleeping well. Also I've been waking up with "hot flashes" in the middle of the night...

I guess I was warned the beginning would be tough, so I'm pushing on! Good luck to everyone else!

katyroq, I had the shaky, foggy feeling yesterday. Especially after working out in the morning. I made an effort to increase my food intake and add more starchy veggies yesterday. I made it through a morning swim this morning and I feel much better today! Hopefully you can tweak it to work for you.

I've been having a hard time getting to sleep this week too. Which is crazy, as I feel really tired. Hopefully this adjusts too!

Archived