my coconut milk has carreegeenan...

Kelly Morytko Cooper

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? I found their brand. It's light coconut milk which contains coconut milk and water only. And it's 99 cents!!! At Kroger, the only Whole30 compliant coconut milk is over $2 a can!

Kelly, you may want to try a version of "bulletproof coffee" using ghee. I use a heaping tablespoon of ghee, a small chunk of coconut oil, and hot coffee in the blender for about 10 seconds.

It emulsifies the ghee into the coffee and gives it a "coffee with cream" appearance. The ghee gives it a caramel flavor. I like it a lot.

Also, just having coconut oil in the coffee is good. It is slick on top of the coffee, and as you drink it the black coffee comes "through" the oil. Interesting sensation and it does smooth the bitterness.

Personally I like the bitter note in the flavor of coffee. I would be using stevia if not for the W30 (I do like a sweet note as well) but I'm enjoying these other options (coconut milk; bulletproof with ghee; plain ol' coconut oil). But the "bulletproof" in the blender is the best.

Ghee is easy to make. Unsalted pastured butter in an uncovered dutch oven. Put in the oven at 250 Fahrenheit for 75 minutes. Strain through doubled cheesecloth (or through a single layer of a clean old cotton fabric, like a discarded shirt).

Ghee keeps for 6 months on the shelf or one year in the fridge. Theoretically. I go through it way faster than that! :)

At Robin's suggestion, I tried the Golden Star brand of coconut milk that can be found at most Wal-Marts (canned, in the ethnic foods aisle). It's the cheapest I've found (we don't have Trader Joe's or Whole Foods) and it tastes the best to me, which is a win-win:). I keep it in a shaker cup in the fridge, and give it a good shake while my coffee is brewing...gives a nice foam when I pour it in. Even when I'm totally off-road and not eating W30 or Paleo, I still use coconut milk in my coffee. I really grew to love it!

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? I found their brand. It's light coconut milk which contains coconut milk and water only. And it's 99 cents!!! At Kroger, the only Whole30 compliant coconut milk is over $2 a can!

Don't buy the light coconut milk if you can help it. It's just coconut milk, with water added. why pay for somebody to dilute your coconut milk for you?

99c is great, but i'd imagine the regular is close in price?

Don't buy the light coconut milk if you can help it. It's just coconut milk, with water added. why pay for somebody to dilute your coconut milk for you?

Actually, the reason I buy the trader joe's brand is because it mixes beautifully into coffee whether it's iced or hot. Walmart does have a full fat version that is 1.43. I have never seen any other brand close to that price (thank you Robin). I am doing away with coffee during my W100, but my daughter isn't. For cooking, I use full fat, but if I don't go to Walmart, it's usually anywhere from $2.50-$4.50.

At my co-op. coconut milk runs anywhere from 2.99-3.99. I buy the Native Forest brand that is BPA free.

I bought the Trader Joe's light for the first time this week since I was there, and feel like even though it was 99 cents, it was a waste! While I agree with Susan that it blends well, I like my coconut milk whipped, and this one is NOT going to whip!

Plus I am missing my fat in the morning!

I may use this in recipes for cooking, but there is something so floral about it that turns me off.

Trader Joes (at least in Atlanta) doesn't even carry a full fat Coconut Milk - just the $0.99 one that is "light"... but it's 99 cents..

BUT the "Nectar of the gods" (as we call it) is Arroy-D. I don't drive more than 2 miles to go anywhere and I trek a whopping TEN to get Arroy-D. ;)

• 2 months later...

I made my own coconut milk this weekend from an organic coconut. It was easy and yummy. I am going to attempt almond milk this weekend or tonight, so I will try to post all that on here if it goes well :)

Kelly, you may want to try a version of "bulletproof coffee" using ghee. I use a heaping tablespoon of ghee, a small chunk of coconut oil, and hot coffee in the blender for about 10 seconds.

It emulsifies the ghee into the coffee and gives it a "coffee with cream" appearance. The ghee gives it a caramel flavor. I like it a lot.

Also, just having coconut oil in the coffee is good. It is slick on top of the coffee, and as you drink it the black coffee comes "through" the oil. Interesting sensation and it does smooth the bitterness.

Personally I like the bitter note in the flavor of coffee. I would be using stevia if not for the W30 (I do like a sweet note as well) but I'm enjoying these other options (coconut milk; bulletproof with ghee; plain ol' coconut oil). But the "bulletproof" in the blender is the best.

Ghee is easy to make. Unsalted pastured butter in an uncovered dutch oven. Put in the oven at 250 Fahrenheit for 75 minutes. Strain through doubled cheesecloth (or through a single layer of a clean old cotton fabric, like a discarded shirt).

Ghee keeps for 6 months on the shelf or one year in the fridge. Theoretically. I go through it way faster than that! :)

Great info - thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try my coffee with the ghee and coconut oil combo!!! :D

Archived