Starting October 1

Yepa

Halfway through and I am feeling good.  Have gotten used to black coffee even.  I have more energy and sleep well.  I havent had any of the headache or grumpiness thankfully.  I am getting bored with my meals tho but I am working it through.  I have a small dorm size refrigerator with very limited freezer room so its difficult to stay diverse in my meat options.  I know I eat a lot of vegetables but am a little worried that I actually am eating too much/many fruits.  I have some with each meal, half apple or a few melon chunks.  

I did feel brave enough yesterday to try on some jeans that have been too tight to button - and surprise surprise - they fit nicely now.  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Yepa, it’s been said a couple of times before, the danger of eating fruit is mostly because it is our only access to sugar and can awaken our sugar dragon. So what is the reason you’re eating fruit? Is it because you’re fed up with veggies and want to mix it up, or because you are craving it? Maybe try leaving it out/eating it once a day instead of every meal for 2-3 days and see how you feel! 
And hooray for fitting in those jeans, keep it up! 

Wanted to share a recipe that might just save the next 2 weeks in this house, the Egg Foo Young(ish) from Nom Nom Paleo. I used to cook all of her recipes in the US, but I don't have access to Red Boat fish sauce or coconut aminos, but this one requires nothing, AND doesn't require turning on the oven, just stove top.

https://nomnompaleo.com/post/5568966009/egg-foo-young-ish-spinach-egg-ham-coconut

We opted to switch out the ham for shredded beef and it was amazing!

@ronaldbellantone, I imagine it can be tough to see all the positives of this experience when you're not seeing what you want. However, my motto is "be kind", and remember that every body changes differently, and in different times. I know lots of people talk about find this magical great sleep, but I've never found it either in any of my 2 previous W30s. My skin never clears up either. BUT, over time I have learned a lot of other things about my relationship with food, and I hope you can take some time to reflect on all of those things. 

We're three weeks in now and compared to my first Whole30 I did in May, the effects are also a little underwhelming. Although I am not hungry between meals anymore, I did notice that my skin didn't clear up as it did last time and I'm also having a harder time falling/staying asleep. Maybe it's because I was eating very unhealthy before the first Whole30, whereas I was eating healthier before this one and my body has just gotten used to it. I did notice in my clothes I'm losing weight and do not have that afternoon slump as much as I used to, so I'll take that! 
I had a minor setback yesterday and ate way too much nuts before dinner while watching the TV, so I'm looking to remedy that over the next couple of days. I am due to start my period, which might explain my craving, but I made two loafs of banana bread for work without eating any of it (baked and unbaked) so I should be able to control my impulses!  

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Meliena said:

We're three weeks in now and compared to my first Whole30 I did in May, the effects are also a little underwhelming. Although I am not hungry between meals anymore, I did notice that my skin didn't clear up as it did last time and I'm also having a harder time falling/staying asleep. Maybe it's because I was eating very unhealthy before the first Whole30, whereas I was eating healthier before this one and my body has just gotten used to it. I did notice in my clothes I'm losing weight and do not have that afternoon slump as much as I used to, so I'll take that! 
I had a minor setback yesterday and ate way too much nuts before dinner while watching the TV, so I'm looking to remedy that over the next couple of days. I am due to start my period, which might explain my craving, but I made two loafs of banana bread for work without eating any of it (baked and unbaked) so I should be able to control my impulses!  

Hi @Meliena - all Whole30s are different and we end up with different results. I would say based on your hint of the nut-eating, that perhaps you were following our recommendations more strictly in your first round and are a bit looser in this round? I do know that when I do subsequent Whole30's I have to stop myself from saying "I already know xyz" and specifically re-read the rules and recommendations....and I WORK for Whole30, haha! 

As far as your period -we generally feel a need for increased calories in the week leading up and of our period which totally explains the nuts. They could very well increase bloating and digestive upset though so although we tell people to go ahead and eat more at this time, that wouldn't be the best choice. You can try increasing your serving of starchy veggies at your evening meal and eating a good serving of fat with each meal for the period-needs.

On 10/6/2019 at 7:53 PM, Meliena said:

I have been there before. My sister is a physiotherapist and when it comes to food, she definitely feels like she knows everything. I was doing my reintroduction and she had a hard time believing that my allergies started back up when I reintroduced rice, because "no diet can eliminate allergies" and how did I know my allergies hadn't just subsided because of the time etc. etc. I just told her that maybe she was right, maybe she was wrong, but I felt better than ever so, for myself, I love the Whole30. Might not be great for everyone, but why does that matter? 

When it comes to switching up sources of protein, eggs are an amazing source of protein, and I always keep some frozen shrimp and smoked salmon on hand just in case I'm not in the mood for red meat. 

It is not that diet eliminates allergies, but it does guide you to avoid the food that causes them. I did W30 years ago and it literary changed my life. I had terrible hay fever that made me sick all summer long. That May I finished W30 was followed by symptom-free summer, first time, well, ever. Apart from the allergies, it helped me get rid of bloating and stomach cramps I was suffering from. After I was finished and started reintroducing the food, I realised that I am allergic to milk and also lactose intolerant. I have mild wheat allergy as well. Over the years I forgot about this reset (still not drinking  milk) and allergies came back. Summers became difficult once again. Probably thanks to all the sugary food and could be that my wheat allergy got more intensive.

I am currently following keto diet, as my current priority is weight loss more than anything else, but I plan to do a reset before the next summer. I do basically eat like I would on W30, but allow myself hard cheese and butter (does not influence me) and some sweeteners like inulin syrup and xylitol. Just trust the program, it is hard and challenging, but so worth it in the end.

Only a few days left and I have to say I feel great.  Pants that were tight are now very comfortable.  Shirt size has gone down and I dont really crave or miss anything.  My biggest concern right now it the reintroduction phase.  I almost dont want to change anything.  I am worried that I would slip back into old habits lol.  Also I have been out of work this month and might be starting something new soon.  Will be more stressed in how to plan and pack lunches.  

@Meliena Thanks for checking with me.  So far I cant say I have done much reintroducing at all.  The big thing that I was looking forward to (as my first reintroduction) was peanut butter.  SO I had some TruNut powder and made a small batch.  I mean small too LOL like 1.5 teaspoons.  And to be honest - it wasnt all I remember it to be.  I was so disappointed I really havent even tried anything else.  Might buy some coconut milk yogurt next week.  Everytime I think of something to "try" i change my mind or talk myself out of it.  

But any tips you can provide I am all ears.  Its been great and I dont really want to go back to eating badly.  And I am not really craving anything particular.

@Yepa, I've shared a link of my original Whole30 reintroduction meal plan and adjusted the dates so that when you start on Sunday, you have reintroduced all of the food groups a week before Thanksgiving. That way you have some wiggle space to prep your fridge and also to decide if you want to not eat anything when Thanksgiving rolls around. 

I was not having a good day yesterday so I had some ice cream when I came home and today I was definitely more gassy than usual. I didn't have anything else that was not Whole30 (except for a little bit of sugar, but I'm sure that didn't cause my morning case of flatulence and the Sugar Dragon is still fully under control) so I'm saving that for special occasions and definitely not bingeing it in front of the TV any more. It's all about personal preferences and balancing the pros and cons. It's also good to find out how certain foods affect us because that makes them a lot easier to turn down. Instead of saying "I stopped eating dairy", I can now say "I'm limiting my dairy intake because it causes really bad gas" and I don't think many people will try to shove dairy down my throat and actually be grateful that I'm turning down their homemade cheeseburger (for example). 

Let me know how it goes! 

Meliena

Archived