Plateaued for 3 weeks - help please

JustAMom

I’m staying compliant the last 8 months and exercising my rear end into the ground.

Can I get suggestions for breaking this plateau?  

I walk 8-10 miles a day.

I also started to do an intermediate level 4 mile cardio/strength building dvd with Leslie Sansone last week in the hopes of upping my game, but another week with not even an ounce of loss.

I can’t fathom how I can devote any more time exercise out of my schedule. And I can’t eat more compliant than I already am.  

But suggestions very welcomed!

Ignoring the weight loss aspect, you could post a few days of what you eat/drink and see if anything stands out to anybody.

From an exercise perspective, sounds like you do mostly cardio?  Might want to add some heavier weight training in there.

Also, just out of curiosity, you've been doing a strict whole30 for 8 months?

23 minutes ago, slc_melissa said:

Ignoring the weight loss aspect, you could post a few days of what you eat/drink and see if anything stands out to anybody.

From an exercise perspective, sounds like you do mostly cardio?  Might want to add some heavier weight training in there.

Also, just out of curiosity, you've been doing a strict whole30 for 8 months?

Basicly, W30 works for me as a lifestyle probably 90% of the time. I never eat out much to begin with, and for social activities around food - usually I either eat prior, or there is something if not completely compliant then really close to it and for a very special occasion, I’ll indulge a rare addition of rice or small amount of honey/cane sugar. And I like veggies, so that’s not a hardship for me. I’ve never been one to drink my calories since I stopped doctoring my coffee with dairy and sugar, so black coffee or water.  I also tend to eat simple quick meals without a lot of variety so I don’t stress over what to eat.

Anyways.  I feel better doing Whole30, so why stop that?

A typical day of meals for me looks something like this and if might be the exact same thing for a few days in a row.

3 boiled eggs and either a small diced roasted sweet potato or a bag of steamed broccoli and a handful of fresh blueberries. 

roast chicken or lean hamburger patty with a bag of frozen green beans or California blend veggies.

blackened seasoned mahi-mahi with a side of veggies similar to previous meals

I have a cup or two of black coffee mid afternoon. (A no-no I know! ☺️)

Sometimes after my evening walk I eat a handful of grapes or walnuts while cooling down and rehydrating. Usually not though.  

I usually only drink water, sometimes I add a lemon slice and couple slivers of ginger and a tbsp of ACV for variety.

I’ve added weights to my walks but other than that I’m nervous abo it causing injury from doing it wrong.  Suggestions for safe gentle weight training? Something similar to Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds would be perfect.

Food-wise, are you eating enough fat?  You're not listing any in the meals.

After the evening walk, something with protein and starchy carbs might be more appropriate for a post-workout.

I'm hesitant to add specific weight training advice, since there is such a wide range of programs, and everything depends on: goals, ability, equipment, time, knowledge, etc.  I'd maybe suggest doing some searching for weight training for runners, cross training for runners, or that type of thing.  Or some calisthenics or yoga - some bodyweight strength moves can help.  Do you have any resistance bands?  They can also work.

I was going to suggest adding a weighted backpack to some of your walks (hopefully you have one that has a hip belt so most of the weight can be on your hips), but it sounds like you've started to add weights already.  (What type of weights and how?)

I don't know how your walks are set up, and I don't know the premise behind the program you mentioned, so apologies if this isn't new, but during your walks, you could add something like:

Every mile or half mile on some of the walks, do 10 squats and 10 lunges ea. leg, to whatever depth is good for you.  Change up number and intensity as needed.  Other exercises that are easy to throw in for variety: side lunges, jumping jacks, tuck jumps, one legged squats.

Are there hills around where you are?  You could find a steep one and walk up and down it several times.

You could try adding some intervals of faster/more intense walking on some of your walks.  For instance, half-way through the walk, you could:

walk faster for 1 min.

walk normal for 2 min.

Repeat x times

Interval times/distance can be widely varied, feel free to play around with them.

Hope this might help with some ideas, great job in general, and good luck!

Here's some ideas for bodyweight moves with decent explanations: 

Most of my fat is either with the protein (like salmon or eggs)  or I’ll toss the veggies with olive oil, or a side of sliced avocado, or a few walnuts.

I’ll eat more if that’s what I need to do but I’m feeling good food wise and not like I’m depriving myself or hungry.  

I have some light weights that I add to my walks. A 2lb weight belt and 2lb ea wrist/hand weights.  Not much until I’ve worn them for 4 miles and then they seem to feel like 40lbs. And man. Are there hills on my walks. I get something like 25 flights of stairs on my Fitbit because of all the hills. The stupid hills are alive and trying to kill me.

I do fluctuate my speed by walking to the pace of music, so I’ll start with a slow song and then alternate a really fast song with a moderate good pace, and then end with a slow song. I can’t run worth a darn. I think my innards might fall out if I did. LOL I’m averaging 14-15 minute per mile.  I like the idea of stopping every mile and adding exercises. 

I have an appt Monday just to double check there’s no other causes, like hormones or whatever, but I’m not particularly expecting much from it bc really I’m feeling good other than frustrated with this plateau.  And I wouldn’t care about the weight if I was seeing progress elsewhere, like inches.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it!

Archived