My one-entry log of good things

Claire10

I started Whole30 on September 2, weighed myself today, and I lost 12 lbs.  I should have kept a log here but I guess this is it. A one-entry log of my experience.

The weight loss is a near miracle since I have Hashimoto's Disease (thyroid / hypothyroidism) and I've been a severe sugar addict for at least eight years. I gained over 50 lbs in that time. I've lost some at times only to gain more. Up and down I went in weight for years with an overall trajectory up. I messed with my metabolism and formed what I thought were permanent bad habits that were out of my control. 

About three months ago, I saw an endocrinologist for the first time for the Hashimoto's. I was put on meds to handle my symptoms (had been trying to avoid them). I was told to eat a Brazilian nut every day and take some kelp for iodine. Then, the endocrinologist actually told me to go on the Whole30. At the time, I thought 'here we go again' another diet. So, I didn't listen to him. My husband and I instead went on Atkins. I lost, then gained it all back and my eating habits were horrible again. :( It was depressing. 

Finally, I told my husband that I'm seeing the doc again for a follow up in about 1 1/2 months. I need to at least try that diet. I know he'll ask me if I did. This doc is like Dr. Now on 600 lb life. He gets kinda snippy with you.

So, we started the Whole30 on September 2. I never thought it would be possible to drop such deep-rooted bad habits but I did. I never thought I could actually change. So many good things to say about Whole30... I know now when that sugar dragon (or sugar addict) is coming back. I know to ease off on the fruit then and it will pass. My grocery cart looks SO DIFFERENT from before I started Whole30. I learned to plan out meals again (like I used to years ago) and am always trying to build up veggies on our plates. I can move more and started working out at Orange Theory again. I'm 12 pounds less now.

One thing that we did that was interesting, we weighed ourselves during the Whole30 but didn't look. We have a smart scale. It sends the weight to your iPhone scale app. So, I got my weight loss recorded but didn't have to look till after the 30 days. The automatic weight entries were very interesting. I dropped about 5 lbs the first 5 or 6 days and then it was a more slow loss for the rest of the 30 day challenge.  

So this went so well that we plan to go right back into Whole30, another round. I am hoping I can drop another 5-10 lbs, expecting a little less due to water weight loss from the first month. Maybe I'll start a new log for this month and try to actually enter more than once! 

Thanks for reading/listening. Good luck to all! 

Archived