Snacks--when and what to eat?

• Moderators

Ideally, your meals will keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours at a time, and you won't really need snacks. However, if you are hungry, it is okay to eat. Try to have some protein, some fat, and some vegetables, or at least two of the three.

Thank you Shannon so much for your help.  Can you give me some examples of snacks?  I was eating lots of almond butter with fruit.  I thought the almond butter was the protein to eat before having fruit.  I wanted something sweet, since my biggest reason for doing Whole30 was to break my sugar addiction.  Is that where the Lara bars come in?  I don 't get how to tell a good one from a bad one.  Again, thanks for your help.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Dolly223 said:

I thought the almond butter was the protein to eat before having fruit.  I wanted something sweet, since my biggest reason for doing Whole30 was to break my sugar addiction.  Is that where the Lara bars come in?

So if you're trying to kick a sugar addiction, feeding it sugar (fruit or dried fruit) is just giving in to cravings with different sugar.  The only way to beat a sugar dragon is to starve it.  Some people eat Lara bars and yes, some of them are compliant depending on the ingredients but they're not recommended and especially not if you're trying to resolve a sugar problem.

Second, if you want or need a snack, fruit and nuts/nut butters are not your ideal choice.  Nut butter is a fat on the program not a protein (while it has a nominal amount of protein, theres much more fat).  Hardboiled egg and mayo or leftover chicken salad or a couple meatballs and half an avocado... those are protein/fat snacks that would be of better help to you.

Archived