ultra sugar addict/athlete

jakefishful

Hello,

I am a 25 year old male that has a title amongst his friends of being the healthiest, unhealthy person. During the day I would eat a bountiful variety of veggies, fruits, and legumes with an occasional  meal involving lean meat. Drinking anywhere from 120 fl oz to 200 fl oz depending on my training. At night I would binge on moose tracks ice cream, oreos, an obnoxious amount of bread, and many other unhealthy meals. I felt like I had lost control of my impulses which is why I started the whole 30. I've been an athlete my entire life, meaning I have engaged in at least 20 hours a week (on average) of HIGH intensity training . My current obsession is trail running and typically will run any where from 3 miles to 24 miles with 600ft-6000ft vert gain. My concern is that I am not fueling my body with a well rounded diet. Today is day 2 of the whole30 and I went for a 5 mile run with a 20 mile bike ride (10 miles to get there and 10 miles to get home). I nearly passed out on my bike ride home and am trying to understand if it is because I am going through withdrawals, if I am not eating the right food for long events that demand my HR to be around 150-180 for extended periods of time, or if I am not eating enough calories (I believe this is it). This morning I ate 3 eggs, 2 cups of cooked cabbage, 1 cup cooked swiss chard, 3 garlic cloves, and half a sweet potato. After my run I ate a very similar meal minus the eggs and found my stomach cramping to the point that I wanted to pull over and feel sorry for myself hahaha. I look forward to hearing your guy's input. Thank you so much!

Have you seen the new pre- and post-workout guidelines? If not, here they are: https://whole30.com/whole30-pre-workout-post-workout/. I like the new guidelines because they provide some guidance on intra-workout fueling, which you'll definitely need for long days like you're describing. Though, to be honest, I still haven't had a lot of luck figuring out how they translate to really long activities (for me, that's 6+ hour days in the alpine).

I was also recently looking for some guidance on fueling long days in the mountains and received some helpful tips. Perhaps check out this thread for some ideas that might apply for you: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/56359-whole30-for-mountaineers-fueling-endurance-training/?tab=comments#comment-502726

• Moderators
3 hours ago, jakefishful said:

This morning I ate 3 eggs, 2 cups of cooked cabbage, 1 cup cooked swiss chard, 3 garlic cloves, and half a sweet potato. After my run I ate a very similar meal minus the eggs and found my stomach cramping

So, 4 cups of cabbage in half a day? Is that a normal amount for you? Because I'm pretty sure I'd have stomach cramps after that too.

Maybe mix up your veggies a bit, so you have a mix of cruciferous and non-cruciferous ones. (Cruciferous are the cabbage family, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, cabbage, brussel sprouts.) 

Your workouts may suffer a bit the first week to 10 days as your body adjusts to not having sugar. Hang in there, it'll get better. 

Archived