Tevenie's Whole30 Diary

Tevenie

Hello, my name is Tevenie and I AM GOING TO DO A FULL Whole 30!

I have Multiple Sclerosis and am very overweight which is one of the worst things you can be with MS, apart from smoking.  I have tried every diet / food fad / ridiculous thing under the sun - none of which work because I try to be overly restrictive and then I get totally overwhelmed and binge on rubbish.

Today is Day 1.  

Breakfast: Tinned sardines in tomato sauce, black coffee

Lunch: Chicken stuffed with Aubergine Pesto, wrapped in bacon with roasted onion, brussels sprouts, tomato, courgette, and yellow pepper.

Dinner: Butternut squash stuffed with mushrooms, walnuts, and onions with fresh sage.

I am determined to do this!

Tevenie

Morning!  Had a headache last night so went to bed early.  Otherwise, I feel fine.  

Breakfast: Sardines in Tomato sauce, black coffee, pear

Lunch: Chicken, brussels sprouts, tomato, sweet potato.

Dinner: Chicken stuffed with Aubergine pesto & roast vegetables.

I am doing Tai Chi night classes this autumn - first lesson tonight and I am looking forward to it!

Tevenie

Day Three and the headache is gone, thank goodness!  I really wanted to skip my Tai Chi class last night, and I was making all sorts of bargains with myself on the way home, but then I thought in the spirit of Whole 30, I'd just do it and I am glad I did.  It was fun and I am looking forward to the next one.

Breakfast: Tinned mackerel (I love my fish!)

Lunch: Chicken stuffed with aubergine pesto and wrapped in bacon, assorted vegetables and half an avocado.

Dinner: Ribeye Steak with a baked potato and homemade coleslaw - I am excited about this one!

Happy Weekend to anyone reading this! x

Your chicken sounds delicious!  In my opinion, the third day is one of the hardest - that's when I really miss sugar and dairy and don't have quite enough days under my belt to really know how much better I'm about to feel if I stick with it.  I'm glad your headache is gone and you felt like doing Tai Chi - you're already seeing some benefits!  One thing that I started doing a few weeks into my current Whole 30 was to track my pain and energy levels (0-10 scale).  I'm not sure if those are issues for you, but It's helped me see how far I've come in not too long a time (I wished I had started it from Day1).   You have such a wonderful, positive spirit radiating through your journal - I'm excited to follow your journey! 

Hi MadyVanilla, thanks so much for your reply!    That is a great idea about tracking pain and energy levels - I will definitely do that.  

I forgot to post yesterday, but I am still here, still compliant and excited about it.  I have learnt that I eat out of boredom, I eat when I am thirsty, I eat to reward myself because it is Friday, Saturday or, my favourite, on Sunday I eat because it is Monday tomorrow!  lol how daft!  I eat because I spend two hours a day in the car and out of boredom, not hunger, I shovel snacks into my mouth - rice crackers, nuts, CHOCOLATE in any shape or form.  Occasionally I eat fruit in a bid to be more healthy but it doesn't last long in the face of the sugar dragon.  

Luckily I love water so instead of snacking I am drinking water, but I am now so much more aware of what I am doing that I think I can curb it in the future. 

Anyway, yesterday I had 

Breakfast: Baked Eggs & Tomatoes with Mushrooms and half an avocado

Lunch: No lunch because I was cleaning drains and I couldn't bear to eat after that job...:(

Dinner: steak, steamed courgettes and a small potato with homemade mayo

Today, I have had

Breakfast: Egg. bacon, tomato, mushrooms and some leftover potato from last night - a good Sunday breakfast!E

No lunch as breakfast was very late

Dinner: Baked salmon, baked potato, homemade coleslaw.

Rock on Whole 30!

Energy and Pain levels: small amount of pain in my right leg but the pain in my left arm has definitely improved since the arm swinging exercises in Tai Chi on Thursday.  I must remember this when it comes to Thursday afternoon and I am trying to bunk-off again!

Picture of my delicious breakfast for fun!

breakfast.jpg

Hello, so it seems I am not that great at keeping this up.  The journal, I mean, not the Whole 30.  Whole 30 is going great.  I am not brilliant at getting the meals together as per the template and I have definitely snacked on fruit when I shouldn't but as Melissa says, there is no such thing as a perfect Whole 30.  I have been completely compliant with all my food choices and I am feeling great today.  

Have a great day!

Tevenie

• 2 weeks later...

I ate peas.  I cant believe it! I am devastated- day 19 and I just completely forgot they were legumes.  So stupid of me.  Still, as screwing up stuff goes I guess eating peas on a whole 30 is not the actual end of the world.  I have decided to just keep going because if I stop now it will just be a licence to shovel cake in my mouth.   

If you google search peas and Whole-30, you'll find the "Can I have..." forum for green peas.  I think your decision to just keep going is a good one.  I seriously doubt you are in danger of doing what my mom used to do when she was on Weight Watchers back in the 1970s...she would open a can of peas or green beans and eat them right out of the can, cold, because she was so hungry!  

Oh, thank you so much for that MadyVanilla, I hadn't seen that.  

It has taken me a while to feel good on this - it was really only yesterday I suddenly started to feel good so I don't want to stop.  I am hoping I have lost weight, I am certainly less bloated - I am wearing jeans today that I haven't been able to wear for a while because my belly was causing the zip to come down.  Never a good look!  So I am certainly not going to stop now.  I will see how I feel about it at the end of the 30 days, which is next Thursday I think.  But at present, I am just planning to keep going. 

• 2 weeks later...

I DID IT! I DID IT! 

Well, I did it apart from the great pea debacle.  

I feel really well, MUCH more energy, better sleep, my head feels clear.  I have always thought the brain-fog I suffer from was due to the Multiple Sclerosis, but now I think it is probably the sugar and the bad carbohydrate.  

I certainly wasn't perfect, I have snacked too much on fruit, I haven't always kept to the meal template, but I feel like I have done a 'time in motion'  study on my eating, and indeed, living habits and I can really see where my danger points are; what my weaknesses are; and, also, the good habits I have. 

I do most of my own cooking and that's great.  My basic diet is pretty good -my problem is, and I never realised this before, that I eat to blot out my emotions - boredom, loneliness, anger, frustration.  I need to address the root causes of all these. 

It is my birthday this weekend and my (82-year-old) mother is making me a chocolate cake and there is no way I am turning that down!  So there will be cake, and there will be wine.  I knew before I started that my reintroduction was not going to be perfect.  Life, what can you do?  But that's the whole point of food freedom really, isn't it?

I can't begin to tell you how well worth it the last 30 days have been and how happy I am to have completed it.

Tevenie 

PS - I lost 10lbs - if I am honest I started this with weight loss as my primary motivator, but somewhere along the way I forgot about the scale and my motivation became something, bigger, better and more important - my health.

3 hours ago, Tevenie said:

I DID IT! I DID IT! 

Well, I did it apart from the great pea debacle.  

I feel really well, MUCH more energy, better sleep, my head feels clear.  I have always thought the brain-fog I suffer from was due to the Multiple Sclerosis, but now I think it is probably the sugar and the bad carbohydrate.  

I certainly wasn't perfect, I have snacked too much on fruit, I haven't always kept to the meal template, but I feel like I have done a 'time in motion'  study on my eating, and indeed, living habits and I can really see where my danger points are; what my weaknesses are; and, also, the good habits I have. 

I do most of my own cooking and that's great.  My basic diet is pretty good -my problem is, and I never realised this before, that I eat to blot out my emotions - boredom, loneliness, anger, frustration.  I need to address the root causes of all these. 

It is my birthday this weekend and my (82-year-old) mother is making me a chocolate cake and there is no way I am turning that down!  So there will be cake, and there will be wine.  I knew before I started that my reintroduction was not going to be perfect.  Life, what can you do?  But that's the whole point of food freedom really, isn't it?

I can't begin to tell you how well worth it the last 30 days have been and how happy I am to have completed it.

Tevenie 

PS - I lost 10lbs - if I am honest I started this with weight loss as my primary motivator, but somewhere along the way I forgot about the scale and my motivation became something, bigger, better and more important - my health.

congrats!!  this is awesome and how great to hear about all the things you learned without your weight being a focus :)  You are on such a great path for continues success - even with the choc cake and wine in one weekend - BUT just remember thats fine in reintroduction. You may not enjoy it as much.. you may enjoy it lots and be fine with any consequences.  The important thing is that you have learned so much and had a great experience :)

• 7 months later...

Well, I ate the chocolate cake and I drank the wine.  And I ate more chocolate cake and drank more wine, you know how this story ends, right?  So I am back here.  The same weight I was when I started, exhausted, not sleeping and wondering what the hell happened.  I was lying in bed this morning wondering how I could get back to feeling as energised as I did when I finished my Whole30.  It is really not rocket science, is it? The only way to get back to feeling like that is to do it again!   So here I am, back, rereading what I said in my final post.  And committing to doing this AGAIN.

Roll on tiger blood! 

36 minutes ago, Tevenie said:

Well, I ate the chocolate cake and I drank the wine.  And I ate more chocolate cake and drank more wine, you know how this story ends, right?  So I am back here.  The same weight I was when I started, exhausted, not sleeping and wondering what the hell happened.  I was lying in bed this morning wondering how I could get back to feeling as energised as I did when I finished my Whole30.  It is really not rocket science, is it? The only way to get back to feeling like that is to do it again!   So here I am, back, rereading what I said in my final post.  And committing to doing this AGAIN.

Roll on tiger blood! 

Welcome back!!! I just finished Round 5 after rolling allllllllll the way back down the hill to where I started :) 

And guess what?! Peas are allowed now!! 

Just now, SchrodingersCat said:

Welcome back!!! I just finished Round 5 after rolling allllllllll the way back down the hill to where I started :) 

And guess what?! Peas are allowed now!! 

Thank you, I was just reading your log and I wanted to come to your house and take you by the shoulders, look you in the eye and tell you not to fall down my slippery slope!  (not in a weird stalkerish kind of way, just in a supportive way :D) Your loss was brilliant even though I see why you are disappointed.  Us humans be crazy!  

Peas!  I danced around the kitchen when I saw Melissa's email about peas, even though I was off round.  

I feel a bit excited about starting again now.  

On 11/8/2019 at 10:19 AM, Tevenie said:

What a load of nonsense this was, I fell at the first sugar hurdle, wrapped my arms around the dragon's neck and went on a joy-ride!

Welcome back! I also just finished my fifth round after also rolling all the way back down the hill! LOL.

But, I'm really trying to change my self talk. Words become very real and very alive when you speak, or write, them aloud. I refuse to put conditions on my progress for this round. I completed another round. I am surrounded by an aura of health. I'm more aligned with the woman I hold in my heart and in my head. And I'm making a change that will help ensure I am hiking in a forest until the day I die. Because really, that's my soul purpose for doing this. Not so my thighs look a bit slimmer in my jeans. That was just something silly. 

So yeah, we're all here! We are committed. We are strong. And we are taking control of our lives, our purpose, and our outcomes! We got this! 

Advanced issue found

2 hours ago, kirbz said:

So yeah, we're all here! We are committed. We are strong. And we are taking control of our lives, our purpose, and our outcomes! We got this! 

Woohoo!  It is getting like a proper gang in here now!  I am going to print this out and post it on my fridge because you are right, we are strong and we are committed and we are taking control.  

I will be 54 in November and I will NOT spend another year being unhealthy, lethargic and miserable!

I've been working on my "I am" statements during this Whole 30.
"I am a healthy eater."
"I am committed to making great choices that benefit my long-term health."
"I am a person who loves veggies!"

Sounds like you are finding clarity in this reset — and behaving like a strong, energetic and intentional person! Congratulations!

12 hours ago, Tevenie said:

Well, I ate the chocolate cake and I drank the wine.  And I ate more chocolate cake and drank more wine, you know how this story ends, right?  So I am back here.  The same weight I was when I started, exhausted, not sleeping and wondering what the hell happened.

Words from the wise, I love it.  I just finished W40, today was my first day of reintroduction.  The thing is - my birthday is in 10 days and I've been thinking about what kind of cake I'd like.  Homemade gluten free vanilla with loads of vanilla icing on top keeps popping into my head.  I had this at a friend's wedding a few years ago, salivate every time I think about it, and have wanted more ever since.  But after reading your post, I need to rethink this.  Instead of cake, I think I'll order some ridiculously expensive super fancy cupcakes, just one for everyone in my family.  That way we can all indulge and there will be no leftovers.  Because seriously, I am always the one who eats the lion's share of the leftover cake.  Thank you for posting about your experience, and welcome back!  I'll be cheering you on as we all make our way to being a little bit healthier with every passing day. 

@Tevenie @SchrodingersCat @MadyVanilla @kirbz @Contessa Y'all have me a bit worried because I am feeling super righteous right now - like I GOT this, I nailed it and I'm never going back to eating the way I used to.  I'd love to say I've never failed at anything in my life before but sarcasm doesn't read like sarcasm in a forum LOL :P

11 hours ago, ShadowInTheKitchen said:

Words from the wise, I love it.  I just finished W40, today was my first day of reintroduction.  The thing is - my birthday is in 10 days and I've been thinking about what kind of cake I'd like.  Homemade gluten free vanilla with loads of vanilla icing on top keeps popping into my head.  I had this at a friend's wedding a few years ago, salivate every time I think about it, and have wanted more ever since.  But after reading your post, I need to rethink this.  Instead of cake, I think I'll order some ridiculously expensive super fancy cupcakes, just one for everyone in my family.  That way we can all indulge and there will be no leftovers.  Because seriously, I am always the one who eats the lion's share of the leftover cake.  Thank you for posting about your experience, and welcome back!  I'll be cheering you on as we all make our way to being a little bit healthier with every passing day. 

@Tevenie @SchrodingersCat @MadyVanilla @kirbz @Contessa Y'all have me a bit worried because I am feeling super righteous right now - like I GOT this, I nailed it and I'm never going back to eating the way I used to.  I'd love to say I've never failed at anything in my life before but sarcasm doesn't read like sarcasm in a forum LOL :P

@ShadowInTheKitchenThat is an excellent idea about ordering expensive cupcakes, not only are there no leftovers but also no half packages of ingredients just begging to be made into more cake.  And anyway, you deserve super fancy cupcakes! 

Well, I am going to start on Monday so I have cleaned out the fridge and freezer.  (I may have eaten the contents,  not telling).  Everything is on for shopping tomorrow, but now my Mum has decided she wants to come and stay with me for a while so that is going to mean a bit of managing to make it all Whole30 and also to produce food she likes too. Still, forewarned is forearmed. I have a load of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and Vegetarian cookery books so I will spend this evening by the fire (it is FREEZING here in Ireland) picking out good recipes.

I made Briam  (Greek Roast Vegetables) last week and I literally couldn't stop eating it - it was a 'stuffing it in whilst standing in front of the fridge with a fork' type meal so I will get plenty of ingredients for that - there are far worse things I could be shovelling into my mouth.

Hope you are all having/had a great day depending on which time zone you are in. 

Archived