Tevenie

Tevenie's Whole30 Diary

Hello, my name is Tevenie and I AM GOING TO DO A FULL Whole 30!

I have Multiple Sclerosis and am very overweight which is one of the worst things you can be with MS, apart from smoking.  I have tried every diet / food fad / ridiculous thing under the sun - none of which work because I try to be overly restrictive and then I get totally overwhelmed and binge on rubbish.

Today is Day 1.  

Breakfast: Tinned sardines in tomato sauce, black coffee

Lunch: Chicken stuffed with Aubergine Pesto, wrapped in bacon with roasted onion, brussels sprouts, tomato, courgette, and yellow pepper.

Dinner: Butternut squash stuffed with mushrooms, walnuts, and onions with fresh sage.

I am determined to do this!

Tevenie

Morning!  Had a headache last night so went to bed early.  Otherwise, I feel fine.  

Breakfast: Sardines in Tomato sauce, black coffee, pear

Lunch: Chicken, brussels sprouts, tomato, sweet potato.

Dinner: Chicken stuffed with Aubergine pesto & roast vegetables.

I am doing Tai Chi night classes this autumn - first lesson tonight and I am looking forward to it!

Tevenie

Day Three and the headache is gone, thank goodness!  I really wanted to skip my Tai Chi class last night, and I was making all sorts of bargains with myself on the way home, but then I thought in the spirit of Whole 30, I'd just do it and I am glad I did.  It was fun and I am looking forward to the next one.

Breakfast: Tinned mackerel (I love my fish!)

Lunch: Chicken stuffed with aubergine pesto and wrapped in bacon, assorted vegetables and half an avocado.

Dinner: Ribeye Steak with a baked potato and homemade coleslaw - I am excited about this one!

Happy Weekend to anyone reading this! x

Your chicken sounds delicious!  In my opinion, the third day is one of the hardest - that's when I really miss sugar and dairy and don't have quite enough days under my belt to really know how much better I'm about to feel if I stick with it.  I'm glad your headache is gone and you felt like doing Tai Chi - you're already seeing some benefits!  One thing that I started doing a few weeks into my current Whole 30 was to track my pain and energy levels (0-10 scale).  I'm not sure if those are issues for you, but It's helped me see how far I've come in not too long a time (I wished I had started it from Day1).   You have such a wonderful, positive spirit radiating through your journal - I'm excited to follow your journey! 

Hi MadyVanilla, thanks so much for your reply!    That is a great idea about tracking pain and energy levels - I will definitely do that.  

I forgot to post yesterday, but I am still here, still compliant and excited about it.  I have learnt that I eat out of boredom, I eat when I am thirsty, I eat to reward myself because it is Friday, Saturday or, my favourite, on Sunday I eat because it is Monday tomorrow!  lol how daft!  I eat because I spend two hours a day in the car and out of boredom, not hunger, I shovel snacks into my mouth - rice crackers, nuts, CHOCOLATE in any shape or form.  Occasionally I eat fruit in a bid to be more healthy but it doesn't last long in the face of the sugar dragon.  

Luckily I love water so instead of snacking I am drinking water, but I am now so much more aware of what I am doing that I think I can curb it in the future. 

Anyway, yesterday I had 

Breakfast: Baked Eggs & Tomatoes with Mushrooms and half an avocado

Lunch: No lunch because I was cleaning drains and I couldn't bear to eat after that job...:(

Dinner: steak, steamed courgettes and a small potato with homemade mayo

Today, I have had

Breakfast: Egg. bacon, tomato, mushrooms and some leftover potato from last night - a good Sunday breakfast!E

No lunch as breakfast was very late

Dinner: Baked salmon, baked potato, homemade coleslaw.

Rock on Whole 30!

Energy and Pain levels: small amount of pain in my right leg but the pain in my left arm has definitely improved since the arm swinging exercises in Tai Chi on Thursday.  I must remember this when it comes to Thursday afternoon and I am trying to bunk-off again!

Picture of my delicious breakfast for fun!

breakfast.jpg

Hello, so it seems I am not that great at keeping this up.  The journal, I mean, not the Whole 30.  Whole 30 is going great.  I am not brilliant at getting the meals together as per the template and I have definitely snacked on fruit when I shouldn't but as Melissa says, there is no such thing as a perfect Whole 30.  I have been completely compliant with all my food choices and I am feeling great today.  

Have a great day!

Tevenie

I ate peas.  I cant believe it! I am devastated- day 19 and I just completely forgot they were legumes.  So stupid of me.  Still, as screwing up stuff goes I guess eating peas on a whole 30 is not the actual end of the world.  I have decided to just keep going because if I stop now it will just be a licence to shovel cake in my mouth.   

If you google search peas and Whole-30, you'll find the "Can I have..." forum for green peas.  I think your decision to just keep going is a good one.  I seriously doubt you are in danger of doing what my mom used to do when she was on Weight Watchers back in the 1970s...she would open a can of peas or green beans and eat them right out of the can, cold, because she was so hungry!  

Oh, thank you so much for that MadyVanilla, I hadn't seen that.  

It has taken me a while to feel good on this - it was really only yesterday I suddenly started to feel good so I don't want to stop.  I am hoping I have lost weight, I am certainly less bloated - I am wearing jeans today that I haven't been able to wear for a while because my belly was causing the zip to come down.  Never a good look!  So I am certainly not going to stop now.  I will see how I feel about it at the end of the 30 days, which is next Thursday I think.  But at present, I am just planning to keep going. 

I DID IT! I DID IT! 

Well, I did it apart from the great pea debacle.  

I feel really well, MUCH more energy, better sleep, my head feels clear.  I have always thought the brain-fog I suffer from was due to the Multiple Sclerosis, but now I think it is probably the sugar and the bad carbohydrate.  

I certainly wasn't perfect, I have snacked too much on fruit, I haven't always kept to the meal template, but I feel like I have done a 'time in motion'  study on my eating, and indeed, living habits and I can really see where my danger points are; what my weaknesses are; and, also, the good habits I have. 

I do most of my own cooking and that's great.  My basic diet is pretty good -my problem is, and I never realised this before, that I eat to blot out my emotions - boredom, loneliness, anger, frustration.  I need to address the root causes of all these. 

It is my birthday this weekend and my (82-year-old) mother is making me a chocolate cake and there is no way I am turning that down!  So there will be cake, and there will be wine.  I knew before I started that my reintroduction was not going to be perfect.  Life, what can you do?  But that's the whole point of food freedom really, isn't it?

I can't begin to tell you how well worth it the last 30 days have been and how happy I am to have completed it.

Tevenie 

PS - I lost 10lbs - if I am honest I started this with weight loss as my primary motivator, but somewhere along the way I forgot about the scale and my motivation became something, bigger, better and more important - my health.

3 hours ago, Tevenie said:

I DID IT! I DID IT! 

Well, I did it apart from the great pea debacle.  

I feel really well, MUCH more energy, better sleep, my head feels clear.  I have always thought the brain-fog I suffer from was due to the Multiple Sclerosis, but now I think it is probably the sugar and the bad carbohydrate.  

I certainly wasn't perfect, I have snacked too much on fruit, I haven't always kept to the meal template, but I feel like I have done a 'time in motion'  study on my eating, and indeed, living habits and I can really see where my danger points are; what my weaknesses are; and, also, the good habits I have. 

I do most of my own cooking and that's great.  My basic diet is pretty good -my problem is, and I never realised this before, that I eat to blot out my emotions - boredom, loneliness, anger, frustration.  I need to address the root causes of all these. 

It is my birthday this weekend and my (82-year-old) mother is making me a chocolate cake and there is no way I am turning that down!  So there will be cake, and there will be wine.  I knew before I started that my reintroduction was not going to be perfect.  Life, what can you do?  But that's the whole point of food freedom really, isn't it?

I can't begin to tell you how well worth it the last 30 days have been and how happy I am to have completed it.

Tevenie 

PS - I lost 10lbs - if I am honest I started this with weight loss as my primary motivator, but somewhere along the way I forgot about the scale and my motivation became something, bigger, better and more important - my health.

congrats!!  this is awesome and how great to hear about all the things you learned without your weight being a focus :)  You are on such a great path for continues success - even with the choc cake and wine in one weekend - BUT just remember thats fine in reintroduction. You may not enjoy it as much.. you may enjoy it lots and be fine with any consequences.  The important thing is that you have learned so much and had a great experience :)