Protein Powder (again)

cysgr8

Hi Guys,

My husband and i are going to return to the gym after a hiatus to start lifting again. He is convinced that he needs his whey protein powder. I tried to argue that its packed with sugar and that -real- protein would be much better. I mentioned that people on here suggest chicken and sweet potato. Plus whey is made from milk, right?!

Are there any other suggestions for me to convince him?! He's had a tough time battling the sugar demons during his W30 so i'd hate for him to add in that chocholately junk into the mix..

Nothing replaces real food, and Dallas and Melissa will tell you this quite frankly at their awesome seminar (given the chance to go, grab your husband for it too, it's great!...) But, here are some great reads on the topic in hopes that he will read them (not to cross promote by all means).

Article#1: http://robbwolf.com/2012/05/31/11524/

Article#2: http://robbwolf.com/2012/05/03/wheying-in-protein-powders-paleo/

The most you can ask him to do is to try it for 30 days...no whey...just whole protein sources. Track performance and recovery. Is he still making gains? Then try with the whey...any digestive issues? skin problems? recovery still good?

bottom line: whey is convenient, but so is a drive through fast food chain. Convenience alone is not/should not be the reason for choosing whey over real protein options. Run an experiment of 1 and get some real results on yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I read the provided links and I feel like the anti-whey arguments only hold up when one is choosing whey over real food. There's no argument that real food is always a better choice. But what about when one is consuming a protein shake in addition to real food. For me it's rare that I can prepare and consume my meal in the 60 minute post-workout absorbtion window. I am still eating dinner comprised of real foods but I will consume a protein shake right when I get home, prepare my dinner and then eat it. So I am supplementing my diet with a protein shake, not replacing.

Currently in the process of reading Dallas & Melissa's new book, so I haven't gotten through it all completely yet in case this is addressed, but does whey protein powder violate their 4 standards for judging food? Yes, there are some that have sugars in them and yes they are processed, but one of their Affiliates on their home page sells Whey protein powder.

Gregory - I find this to be a personal choice. I don't do whey during w30. Outside of a w30 I use it only in emergency situations.

Meaning if I did a hard workout and I didn't bring anything with me to the gym or I just don't have time, then I will use a shake. But this is rare, like once or twice a month. It don't believe it should be part of a routine or replace a meal every day. That being said, the only brand I use is Strong Faster Healthier.

As an "old timer" I'm so convinced about the efficacy of protein powders (and BCAA) when properly timed... I would never give them up for the long term.

That said, I also believe that Whole9 is onto something regarding milk. At least for a 30 day elimination period.

I would suggest trying to time the Whole30 with a 30 day recovery/backoff period where the timing of the protein is less critical. And give it a shot without. I tried, and didn't die.

;-)

Afterwards, the thing that I did was go over to trueprotien.com and made up a customized protein powder that did not contain any milk products. I now use this when *not* doing a Whole30 and it seems to be OK. But, I also take my protein powder immediately before the workout and eat a meal afterwards. (or, several ;-))

BTW, my own customized blend is 10% beef, 30% whole eggs, 25% egg whites, 15% hemp, 5% glutamine, 5% creatine and 10% BCAA. I can't vouch for the purity or source of the individual components, but I think that this is a good personal compromise for my "everyday" living/training.

And yes, before anyone suggests otherwise, I notice the difference between taking vs. not taking the protein powder. (Being close to 50 may have something to do with that, as age apparently affects protein utilization a bit.)

• 7 months later...

My husband and i are going to return to the gym after a hiatus to start lifting again. He is convinced that he needs his whey protein powder. I tried to argue that its packed with sugar and that -real- protein would be much better. I mentioned that people on here suggest chicken and sweet potato. Plus whey is made from milk, right?!

This is something I've been thinking a lot about. Summer's links to Wolf's blog is the Word. It comes down to personal preference. But let's not forget the other two vital nutrients we need to take in both pre and post-WO: carbs and fat (and plenty of rest).

If we take this Paleolithic thing seriously, I'm of the belief that our bodies have been conditioned for optimal performance. By conditioned, I'm saying through adaption and evolution, Homo Sapiens have become stronger and more fit for survival (apex predator ring a bell?). That's what all Nature does; adapt to the situation and evolve, or die.What I'm trying to get at here is that we have all these incredible biological processes occurring right now in our bodies - like how the body replenishes glycogen after an exercise. You might argue that we need a supplement (protein powder in this case) to enhance that process. But I'm saying our bodies are fully capable of fixing itself and actually becoming stronger. In the most extreme sense, punch a 2x4 several times each day for a week and I'll guarantee your fist will turn into a rock. Cut your finger, bruise your elbow or brake a bone. Get the flu or a virus. The body will respond and heal itself. With the right diet of whole foods and rest, the body will do its magic!

Im post whole30 now, and ive picked up some Nutiva Hemp Protein powder that I will use pretty rarely (1x/week if even that). The only ingredient in it is hemp, and its pretty high in protein and fiber. It has a tad gritty taste to it, but anytime you venture outside of whey, that's probably gonna happen. I think if the husband is crazy insistent about it, let him go without it for a bit, then the reintro phase should be enough of a deterrent, if it was anything like my reintro of dairy :(

Ok... Read all the studies you want, convince yourself of whatever you want...but as Megan stated" experiment for yourself"

In my case I'm 50 years old and been fit all my life... I'm 6'2". 220. And extreamly lean. I have been eating strick Paleo ( real foods) and w9 for 8 months now

NEVER has my performance and recovery been better!!! I am stronger, more muscular,leaner,and more important. Much much more functional... I can sprint much faster, jump much further/higher, and out last my opponents in kickboxing longer, better,faster than another time in my life. And I'm talking 20 years ago also... I out perform my younger self

Why... Inflammation. More to the point lack there of!! Eating whole foods does the trick... Trust me, I have been on every supplement out there at one time or another... Wish I had the money back and had invested it.....

I

I struggle with same dilemma; I supplemented with hydrolized whey (chocolate!) for years. just before my whole30 i was turned onto Abrbonne brand, which uses peas as a base, so there is no dairy, but just as high protein. it is not as tasty as my commercial "weight lifters" brand. now completing day 25 sans any type of protein supplement- have severely backed off weights and am looking to get back into them this spring. when i have done weights or cardio while on whole30, just ate hb egg pre, and hb egg/sweet pototoe post workout. i think my desire to go back to protein shake after the whole 30 is more of my chocolate demon- i loved my old cliff bars before and on a bike ride, and am reading other posts to see what i can substitiute 25-30 miles bike rides with for food. though i have not taken my bmi, interestingly, definition in my body has not atrophied, so something is going well up to day 25.

Im post whole30 now, and ive picked up some Nutiva Hemp Protein powder that I will use pretty rarely (1x/week if even that). The only ingredient in it is hemp, and its pretty high in protein and fiber. It has a tad gritty taste to it, but anytime you venture outside of whey, that's probably gonna happen. I think if the husband is crazy insistent about it, let him go without it for a bit, then the reintro phase should be enough of a deterrent, if it was anything like my reintro of dairy :(

Good idea. Also check out Vega Recovery Accelerator. Although its main source of protein is brown rice, you're not eating it of course. Plus it has other vital nutrients like carbohydrates. Vega's products, even though not necessarily Paelo, are very clean. For a diet rich in animal protein, I think having a clean plant-based supplement is a good balance. On that note, if you do want a protein with more kick and a greater share of BCAA's, go with 3 Fuel.

Good idea. Also check out Vega Recovery Accelerator. Although its main source of protein is brown rice, you're not eating it of course.

WHAT? drinking brown rice protein powder means you are consuming brown rice. It's not like you swish it around and spit it out. Vega is a blend of rice, pea and hemp and it's sweetened (depending on the products, it might be stevia or some variety of sugar--even the smoothie infusion is sweetened with inulin)--I agree there are more nasty protein powders out there, but since protein powder isn't necessary for most people, and there are powders out there that would be better if you are an athlete who requires it (plain egg white is available, or beef protein)...I don't get the recommendation. If you are eating a well balanced whole30 menu of veggies, meat and good fats, you will not need any of the vitamins/amino acids/supplements included in these powders--and consuming them as powders means you miss out on any number of nutrients and nutrient synergies they haven't figured out yet in the lab. EAT REAL FOOD.

ps. the "other vital nutrients like carbohydrates"? that's sugar. the first ingredient in this powder is brown rice syrup.

Good idea. Also check out Vega Recovery Accelerator. Although its main source of protein is brown rice, you're not eating it of course. Plus it has other vital nutrients like carbohydrates. Vega's products, even though not necessarily Paelo, are very clean. For a diet rich in animal protein, I think having a clean plant-based supplement is a good balance. On that note, if you do want a protein with more kick and a greater share of BCAA's, go with 3 Fuel.

While a W30 food picture IS rich in animal protein, it is also (by design) very rich in plant products. We don't know that a protein powder is ever necessary, and it's definitely not appropriate in the context of a Whole30. Let's keep the discussion to the context of a Whole30, because outside of that you are free to choose whatever floats your boat.

Gregory - I find this to be a personal choice. I don't do whey during w30. Outside of a w30 I use it only in emergency situations.

Meaning if I did a hard workout and I didn't bring anything with me to the gym or I just don't have time, then I will use a shake. But this is rare, like once or twice a month. It don't believe it should be part of a routine or replace a meal every day. That being said, the only brand I use is Strong Faster Healthier.

Hey Megan, thanks for recommending this brand! My brother and sister are both soccer players and drink nasty protein powder every day. The ingredients in that stuff scare me! This looks like a great alternative for them. Does it taste good?

Haven't heard anyone mention the relative virtues of egg white protein powder. Just got a 1.2 lb. container of Now Sports 100% pure egg white protein—no sugar, no gluten, preservatives or additives of any kind, great amino acid profile, digestibility, PCDAA blahbittyblah. Anyway, egg whites are recommended by Loren Cordain who's written extensively on food for Paleo Athletes.

I begged off smoothies during my Whole30 but drink them occasionally now, not as meal replacements but mainly pre-workouts and longish bike rides.

WHAT? drinking brown rice protein powder means you are consuming brown rice. It's not like you swish it around and spit it out. Vega is a blend of rice, pea and hemp and it's sweetened (depending on the products, it might be stevia or some variety of sugar--even the smoothie infusion is sweetened with inulin)--I agree there are more nasty protein powders out there, but since protein powder isn't necessary for most people, and there are powders out there that would be better if you are an athlete who requires it (plain egg white is available, or beef protein)...I don't get the recommendation. If you are eating a well balanced whole30 menu of veggies, meat and good fats, you will not need any of the vitamins/amino acids/supplements included in these powders--and consuming them as powders means you miss out on any number of nutrients and nutrient synergies they haven't figured out yet in the lab. EAT REAL FOOD.

ps. the "other vital nutrients like carbohydrates"? that's sugar. the first ingredient in this powder is brown rice syrup.

:)

I suppose it boils down to personal choice/ convienence..... when not on a W30... For me it's noooo problem to roast a good quality turkey breast or poach 5-6 extra chicken breasts and place I portion in Tupperware in my gym bag. It just takes my own discipline I thrive off of real foods and they keep me very lean and strong.....

I had a bad habit on relying on powders before and I believe they were ultimately my undoing.... For me it was Very easy for a shake to replace a real meal and loaded with sugar,fruit,and chemicals..... May as well drive through McDonald's and order a milk shake, nutritionally ( minus the protein of course). No matter how much you workout.... You can't make up for poor food choices.... For me the better my food choices, the better I feel and preform....

Easy, if he's opposed to whole cuts of meat, roll with egg white based protein powder. I've never seen any cited benefit whey protein (milk derived) powder has over egg based protein. Organic egg white based protein powder is pricy, conventional is comparable to the cost of whey protein.

• 1 month later...

Figured I'd resurrect this and chime in since this is something I actually know what I'm talking about. From a bodybuilding (protein synthesis) point of view, whey powder is actually the best source of protein, due to it being higher in leucine (the amino acid most responsible for protein synthesis) and faster digesting than "whole" foods (resulting in a better protein synthesis spike). BUT the question on this forum obviously is going to be "what about all the other garbage that isn't protein in this stuff" - all the badness resulting from it being dairy first off, plus all the junk additives. So, while I might coin whey the best protein source on paper, due to what I listed earlier, it really isn't necessarily so great for you. Now, for leucine content eggs actually come in a very close second place to whey (I am unsure about the leucine content of protein powders made from eggs, I've tried researching whether it's higher or lower than whey and came up with mixed answers every time, seems to vary from brand to brand, as does the other added junk in egg protein powders). So, when it comes to bodybuilding and whole food protein, eggs win, hands down (HUGELY higher % of leucine than any meat). I do not have information on absorption rates for egg protein powders so I can't say for sure, but I'm betting it's on par with whey, faster than eggs. ----- so where am I going with this? To combine what I know about protein synthesis with the whole9 philosophy as I understand it, my personal conclusion - eat more EGGS! If a person really wants a protein powder I'm going to recommend a good egg protein powder (if one with no junk ingredients even exists). Whey = great for bodybuilding, but not necessarily for overall health. This is something I've had a hard time shifting my mindset on, and I still consume the stuff sometimes, but I'm working towards my personal goal of simply eliminating it and eating more eggs... because I want my leucine, and I freaking love eggs. :)

Had to whey in...(sorry)

And look, I'm not a bodybuilder so take this with a grain of salt...or electrolyte:

I was a BIG whey protein/smoothie proponent pre-W30 mainly because smoothies were a convenient and cleverly disguised sugar delivery mechanism—but, I was 100% smoothie-free during my W30, because I agree with what slw600 is implying—that the benefits of getting nutrition through solid food outweigh liquids hands down. So now that I'm 60 days post W30 I only drink smoothies an hour or so before I do any intense cycling, or sometimes for recovery, and use Dr. Loren Cordain recipes.

But you wondered whether there was an egg-based protein without junk and there is...Now Sports 100% pure egg white protein, is just that...100% egg white powder, nothing else. No junk, no additives. The downside is I could only find it online.

For lighter workouts, and thanks to W30, I've been able to curb my fueling requirements A LOT now that I'm pretty much a leaner. meaner fat burner. So I'll throw a few dates and some almonds in my jersey pocket, fill one of my bottles with coconut water and the other with water (imagine that!) and I'm good to go for a non-hilly ride under 30 miles.

If you really want the latest-greatest thinking on fueling for exercise, search for content by Brad Hefta-Gaub, he's the real deal.

Archived