TigerNuts flour, raw snacks, etc

Dr. Jamie

I cannot have many kinds of nuts.  They make me sting and itch.  Almonds are a huge no no for me.  I hate coconut flour.  If I wanted to thicken my meatballs or use just a little in one of your recipes in place of almond flour or coconut flour, I wanted to know if I could use Organic TigerNut flour by The Organic Gemini? https://organicgemini.com/products/gluten-free-flour

Cassava flour is another option in the gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free flour world. It's much less expensive than tigernut flour is in my local stores, which makes it a much better option for my own uses, and I like that it doesn't impart any flavor. (I wouldn't know whether or not tigernut flour has a "taste" to it, but if that's a concern then it's good to know that cassava doesn't.)

• 1 year later...

Hi! I'm about to start my Whole30 (May 1 is my start date!) I'm assuming, based on @ladyshanny's response that "tortilla" chips made from tigernut flour, cassava flour, and other W30 compliant ingredients, are actually NOT compliant, because of the starch content and because of the discussion around chips in the W30 book. Is that right? Thank you in advance!

• Moderators
10 hours ago, loco1968 said:

Hi! I'm about to start my Whole30 (May 1 is my start date!) I'm assuming, based on @ladyshanny's response that "tortilla" chips made from tigernut flour, cassava flour, and other W30 compliant ingredients, are actually NOT compliant, because of the starch content and because of the discussion around chips in the W30 book. Is that right? Thank you in advance!

The rules specifically say no commercially prepared chips of any kind, and no recreating baked goods, junk food, or other "treats" with compliant ingredients. So, no, these chips aren't really Whole30 compatible. 

Archived