Intro & Figuring out when to start

thekibblegoddess

Hi! I'm Nancy, I'm going to be 64 in November, and I have several health issues and probable autoimmune issues.  Last Thursday my Dr. suggested doing Whole30 as an elimination diet.  It's a starting point to figure out why I'm exhausted and in pain.  I've ordered the books to be here by the end of this week and I've been reading this website obsessively.  I have many thing to plan out before I start like how to adjust my diabetes medication, and how to incorporate my food allergies in the meal plans (oranges, blueberries, cantaloupe, eggs, shrimp, almonds, Kidney beans...), and how to fit in my husband's vegetarianism But the thing that keeps niggling at me is when to start?   I could maybe be ready by November 1, but November includes my birthday, trips, and the big one: me being the cook for the family Thanksgiving.  I think the fam might be OK with a different menu for the day, but we've had a set menu for 35 years and there was a revolt the last time I changed it.  Does anyone start in December?  I don't do much gifting at Christmas, but I have always made over 30 dozen cookies for gifting.  I'm not wanting to give that up, and pretty sure I won't bake all that w/o tasting.  My Husband suggested trying recipes and doing a pantry makeover and starting in January.  I would like to start sooner, but I want my first 30 to be successful. I'm a little overwhelmed right now with medical issues and learning a new way of eating.  If someone has advice on sorting this out, I would love to hear it.

Pic is me baking with my daughter last year.

IMG_0473 (1).JPG

• Moderators

Hi, Nancy! It sounds like you've got a lot going on that you need to work around. I'm not sure I'd try to start in November or December if I had that much on my plate, but of course if you want to and feel prepared, go for it. Thanksgiving is not too bad to modify recipes for to fit into Whole30 eating, though you would need to avoid stuffing, pies, rolls, and wine for sure. But you can make whole30 compliant turkey, potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, and salad, if you do choose to start in November. 

The idea of trying recipes and doing a pantry clean out and starting in January is really not bad. Maybe pick one or two things you know will be a challenge for you and start doing them now, like if you sweeten your coffee wean yourself off of it, or start incorporating vegetables at breakfast.

As far as your allergies, eggs are probably the biggest issue of those listed, because they are a cheap, easy protein that many depend on, and they're used to make mayo which is one of the most popular fat sources people use, but lots of people do whole30 without them. Almonds, almond butter, and almond milk are called for in a lot of recipes, but feel free to sub versions made from other nuts and seeds, or from coconut. Fruit is not really necessary for whole30, if you do want some, just pick ones that you can have. And kidney beans aren't allowed anyway (no legumes), so that one definitely won't be a problem. 

Archived