lactose intolerant

scrappyrana

I am doing Whole 30 along with my husband and we find it easy to follow.  My only concern is that my Doctor told me that if I give up dairy for 30 days, that I will be lactose intolerant for the rest of my life.  Is this true?  That is my only concern, otherwise we are really enjoying the Whole 30.

I don't think it's true. Once you finish your Whole30 and begin eating dairy you may experience some stomach discomfort until your body gets used to it again. My understanding is that your stomach develops a protective lining in order to aid in digesting dairy and that lining can go away during your Whole30. However, it builds back up again as you continue to reintroduce dairy. I've done multiple Whole30's, 21's and even a 75 over the past two years and I eat dairy almost daily with no issues. 

It's not even remotely true. 

I finished my first Whole30 and did a ridiculously slow roll reintroduction. Like, I think it was probably closer to 45 days before I tried dairy. I was perfectly fine. 

Here's the thing, though - if dairy does not agree with you (I'm not saying lactose intolerant...just not everyone feels good after they have dairy), then you'll feel like crud. I felt that way after reintroducing legumes. I feel so much better overall now that I no longer eat legumes and I can immediately tell when I've had something that has soy in it. 

I'd be concerned about your doctor, but they know very little about nutrition anyway. 

I have to agree. Giving up a food for a period of time may mean that your body will need a little time to adjust when you introduce that food back into your diet, but it doesn't automatically make you unable to process that food. Having said that, though, keep in mind that the whole point of the elimination phase is to clear you out so that reintroducing one food (or group) at a time can give you some very clear information on whether or not you have issues processing those foods... and you may very well discover one (or more) that doesn't agree with your system, but those issues would have already been present pre-Whole30 even if you didn't realize what was happening. The elimination and reintroduction process allows you to create an environment within you that makes it obvious when something isn't treating you well.

• Moderators
On 10/24/2019 at 7:45 AM, scoakley13 said:

I don't think it's true. Once you finish your Whole30 and begin eating dairy you may experience some stomach discomfort until your body gets used to it again. My understanding is that your stomach develops a protective lining in order to aid in digesting dairy and that lining can go away during your Whole30. However, it builds back up again as you continue to reintroduce dairy. I've done multiple Whole30's, 21's and even a 75 over the past two years and I eat dairy almost daily with no issues. 

Your understanding is right.  When your body does not tolerate dairy, your body builds up a mucosal lining to protect your gut from the damage.  when you do a whole30, that lining is unnecessary and sluffs off.  If you go back to eating dairy and you find you're having problems, then it's likely you ALWAYS had problems with it but that your body built up that mechanism to help protect itself.  You have two choices in that case... you can honor that your body is telling you it doesn't want dairy, or you can eat dairy consistently until that lining builds back up.

Archived