Steve's original paleo pacs

Cheryl Berube

Obviously depends on the mod's say, but according to the Faq they should be okay: http://stevesoriginal.com/static/faq

There is no Sunflower Oil, no gluten, however this might be something to consider:

Sugar in the Jerky?

Our jerky is carbohydrate and sugar-free. We only use a very small serving of apple and pineapple juice concentrate to cure the jerky and help soften the texture. Since we only use a minimum amount of natural fruit juice, this does not impact the carbohydrate or sugar count in any of our jerky products.

They seem very similar to the Whole30 approved PrimalPacs: http://www.primalpacs.com/order.php

Ahh! I just noticed that the fruit has infused cranberries and strawberries. Alas, they have sunflower oil in them. Does this mean I have to start over? And the nutrition information states that they have 340 calories for lunch, so I thought that would be enough for me. I had some extra little tomatoes with them.

Derval, it is. We discourage seed oils in general, but people wind up thinking that means they're verboten.

not ideal, but not against the rules

I'm glad to read this, because I also thought all sunflower/safflower oil was out. (Was going to avoid these dried cherries: http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=103270 and raisins we bought)

On the Paleo plan, dried fruit is discouraged. Not only does it usually have added sugar, its usually not organic, it can acquire mold, and is generally more calorie dense then something you may want to put in your mouth if you are attempting to lose weight or live healthier lives. The only way I would eat dried fruit is if I made it myself. The other stuff is like Chinese Food, you just do not know what the put in it.

I know many of you are new to this way of eating, but snacking isnt the best idea especially if you are trying to lower your weight. If you are gym fit, or extremely active, I can see where these extra carbs maybe helpful. Even though I have been on Paleo for a while, for the Whole30, I am trying to stick to the basics. No snacking, eat a little bit of fresh fruit with lunch or an early dinner.

While slightly more restrictive then some Paleo plans, I do not find this way of eating difficult. Meat, veg, fat, and occasional fruit, easy. So many combinations to cook up that it is difficult to become bored. Simple is always best in my opinion. The only thing missing from your diet is all the stuff that has caused you issues for years. Do you notice your when you eat this way, you no longer feel tired after eating, overstuffed or bloated ?

The best advise I can give you while doing the Whole30, is just keep it simple. Trying to recreate snack and junk foods using Whole30 approved foods is counterproductive to what you are attempting to accomplish, as you are not really facing your demons during these thirty days. It gets easier trust me and those cravings that you are having, should be a signal to you of how addicted you are to those types of foods. Trying to mimic them with healthier recipes while commendable, is like a cigarette smoker trying to quit. sucking on a plastic straw. Better to go cold turkey. Just my two cents.

Ahh! I just noticed that the fruit has infused cranberries and strawberries. Alas, they have sunflower oil in them. Does this mean I have to start over? And the nutrition information states that they have 340 calories for lunch, so I thought that would be enough for me. I had some extra little tomatoes with them.

No big deal - we just like you to have plenty of good food :)

Archived