Is this too many carbs/starchy veg?

DanPrudden

Today is day 8 for me, and last week I did a lot of tweaking to my meals because I realized I wasn't getting enough fat or starchy veg to keep me full between meals. The last 4 days or so I've been really happy with my meals, been able to go hours without being hungry and had energy to do pretty intense work outs.

So, yesterday I spent the day prepping and now I'm wondering if I have too many starchy veggies going on, this is what my meals will look like this week, there will be some differences but for the most part I'm eating the same thing at least the next 4 days.

Breakfast: Casserole made with eggs, ground turkey, shrooms, broccoli, onions, and russet potato. I'm putting some avo on it for my fat.

Lunch: Pulled buffalo chicken with a drizzle of compliant ranch, side of roasted veggies that consist of brussel sprouts, sweet potato, carrots, and shrooms. Either a banana or some mango.

Dinner: Salad w/ beets, radish, onion, tomato, a little bit of avo w/ green goddess dressing. 1 chicken sausage link, small amount of mashed sweet potato.

Am I doing too much with the potato in the breakfast casserole then sweet potatoes for lunch and dinner? I was thinking of having a salad with lunch rather than the roasted veggies and just having the sweet potato at dinner. 

I work out 5 times a week, and am burning about 500 cals per work out so they're pretty intense workouts. I do make sure to do pre and post work out mini meals, and follow the template for those.

• Moderators

The amount of carbs each person needs is very individualized, so it's hard for us to say what will be right for you.

If you feel good and your workouts are good, that is a really good sign.  It sounds like you're pretty active, so you may need more carbs than someone who is sedentary. For most people we recommend starting with a fist-sized serving each day, but that's just a starting point, and you can absolutely try different amounts and see what works best for you. You can try cutting back on them, but if you find you feel better with some at each meal, that is fine.

Also keep in mind that your needs can change over time. This is especially true for people who menstruate, as during the week or so before their period they often need more food in general and more carbs in particular, but even for non-menstruating people, things like stress, hours of sleep, and activity level can affect how many carbs they need. So you may feel you need more one week and less another week, and that's totally fine, just try to pay attention to how you're feeling. 

Archived