Day 4 Hanging by my fingernails

Hi All:

Need some encouragement. Hanging by my fingernails here....Had to host an after school picnic for a club I run at my HS and was around all of our NO NO's..... I did not indulge but feel emotionally hungover by the prospect of being around it....Just watching and wanting. Phew, I am home and making myself a salad with some serious protein. I snacked on fresh veggies during the picnic and had to watch 2 1/2 hrs of indulging. It's hard to be around in the early phases....Need some support/encouragement. I KNOW this gets better, just in a bad spot and not sleeping real well either....

Make yourself a wonderful w30 treat. If I were in your shoes I would have some fresh berries with whipped coconut milk and relish in what a dual treat it is. Good for you and delicious AND most importantly compliant!!!

Hang in there! I got barely two hours of sleep last night which sets me up for some bad cravings (I'm sure you know, if you're not sleeping good either). At 4 this afternoon, I almost packed up the stroller and walked to McDonald's so I wouldn't have to make dinner. It's a good thing rain came through right about that time and I wimped out!

Usually, on days like this, I eat a ridiculous amount of fatty meats (I really love grass fed hamburger) and get lazy about vegetables. I agree with NLK, treat yourself W30 style, but I would shy away from too much fruit. I find that feeding sugar cravings with fruit makes them come right back. Feeding sugar cravings with really tasty meat and fats on the other hand tends to be awesome.

One of my favorite fat/meat combos are the egg pizza muffins. I modify this recipe to make it a little more clean (namely, replace the pepperoni with homemade sausage or just ground beef or pork): http://paleoparents.com/2011/mini-egg-pizzas/

You've worked so hard so far, take a moment to be proud that you stuck to your guns!

Hi Donna, I work at at high school too and we recently had a staff luncheon. I tried to stick to the meat and salad and agree it's really challenging. But you CAN do this...every day you go forward is an accomplishment :) Instead of a food reward, maybe think of something non-food related to celebrate getting through the tough times...maybe a new book, a massage, etc? Keep on trucking!

Donna -

Way to fight through! That kind of stress at the beginning stages is so tough, but you did exactly the right thing by going home and eating an appropriate meal or snack. I would caution everyone to avoid pity "treats" after or during stressful food situations - that does nothing to change your eating habits and reinforces the idea that you're being deprived in some way. Instead, pat yourself on the back for making great choices and eat foods you love but that aren't intended to compensate for what you missed out on. Trust me, the power trip that comes from repeatedly making good decisions gets waaay stronger than the woe is me that may drive you to the berries and cream.

Nice work, Donna! And hang in there...

thanks everyone for your awesome support. Today was so much better with a good night of sleep under my belt. Day 5 and staying alive with a new attitude. Just received my CSA veggies so tonight's dinner will be so many organic, just picked veggies and I am PSYCHED! Feel healthier already......

I'm a baker, so I have to deal with "no, nos" for many hours a day. I've found that making sure I'm not hungry at work, drinking plenty of water or black coffee and having a treat of fruit planned for when I get home really helps. I will spare you the gory details of all the bakery I had to endure this weekend! It does get easier! I'm on day 4 of my Whole30, but have been strict Paleo for several months, so tasting hasn't really been an option for a while. btw~I am looking into a more paleo friendly career option. ;)

• 11 months later...

Great job staying strong! If its one thing I've learned so far (day 22) is that there is simply not going to be a straight 30-day period where we will be able to do the W30 without social temptation. I've had Mother's Day, a church function with food (hello, dry vegetables... tip: if you suspect the slightest hint that there will be a veggie tray, bring a homemade vinaigrette since all the dips are off-limits), Memorial Day, visits from best friends from out of state, a day on the lake with church friends, etc. I have found ways around it all. And remember, every time you're able to safely navigate a social situation and come out alive (still compliant), your confidence will get a boost and you'll feel stronger! Just remember you're not alone in this journey! It WILL get easier. :)

Archived