Fighting off a cold since the beginning

So I’m today I’m on day 18. I’ve been battling a cold for what seems to be the duration of my Whole30. It mildly came on during day 2, then disappearing then this past Saturday (Day 13) it was on full force. I have been taking Sudafed non drowsy as I can’t afford to not be on point at my job. Dealing the the shitty feeling isn’t an option for my line of work. But today it’s an all new low. I’ve been struggling with energy almost the whole 18 days.

Ive managed to get a few works outs in but quit after 25 minutes each time. My legs were cramping really bad and I had NO energy at all. 

My meals are almost all the same and go something like this: 

BREAKFAST:

black coffee, 2-3 eggs scrambled with 1 tsp coconut oil, 1-1.5 cups roasted vegetables (lately Brussel sprouts), a small fruit (apple or banana) and a tbsp of no sugar, no salt almond butter

LUNCH:

skirt steak fajitas (approx 3 oz steak, peppers and onions cooked in avocado oil) with 3/4 of an avocado 

DINNER:

coconut curry chicken (coconut milk, chicken thighs, butternut squash, cauliflower) with cauliflower rice 

occasionally I’ll have a handful of cashews and if I workout I’ll have a small 4oz sweet potato with a little coconut oil and salt after 

I drink on average 90 - 120 ounces of water a day

• Moderators

You are not eating enough. There's not enough fat in your Meal 1 - add an additional fat source or a little more coconut oil and scrape the fat onto your eggs when you plate them.  If you're having eggs as your protein, you need the number you can hold in your hand (most people can hold at least 4). 

3 oz of meat is a little low - 1-2 palm sized servings is the goal. 

You don't mention how much of each you ate for dinner, again aim to meet the Meal Template suggested amounts.

Also, since you are exercising you probably require an additional pre or post-workout meal. The sweet potato is good but you also want a little protein with it. 

Try adding a little more to your plate and I think you will see a big difference.

You can do this!

• 2 months later...

I have had a runny/stuffed nose and/or sneezing off and on since the beginning of Whole 30.  I am on day 8, and I feel great except I go from a bit stuffy to sneezing or a runny nose several times a day.  Last night I noticed it after I had some blueberries and blackberries, and then today after I ate shrimp.  I am not aware of any food allergies I might have.  Could it be some sort of "detox" after giving up wine, sugar, dairy, and grains?

On 2/6/2020 at 7:47 PM, phillytherapist said:

I have had a runny/stuffed nose and/or sneezing off and on since the beginning of Whole 30.  I am on day 8, and I feel great except I go from a bit stuffy to sneezing or a runny nose several times a day.  Last night I noticed it after I had some blueberries and blackberries, and then today after I ate shrimp.  I am not aware of any food allergies I might have.  Could it be some sort of "detox" after giving up wine, sugar, dairy, and grains?

Honestly, probably not. It's winter and practically everyone has some kind of virus. 

Even if you're not aware of food allergies, you could have food sensitivities that haven't shown up before because you weren't eating as much of that food. Is there anything you're eating a lot of compared to before (including stuff you didn't eat before)? You could try pulling back consumption of something for a few days to see if those symptoms improve... but based on the time of year, it really is incredibly possible that you've got a virus attacking a system that's already adjusting due to the changes in diet.

Archived