Sign in to follow this  
Coffeelover99

Whole 30 Journal - Weeks 1 and 2

Day 1 – Monday 10/28 – Spent today travelling and in airports, so options were limited. Stuck with coffee, fresh fruit and then grilled salmon and asparagus for dinner when I got home.

Day 2 – Tuesday 10/29 - Meal 1 was scrambled eggs with olives, tomatillos, green onion and half a sweet potato. I was on the go today, so packed my lunch box with an apple, walnuts, 2 hard boiled eggs and the other half of the sweet potato. I was able to eat part in the car, and then bring the nuts and fruit with me in my bag. Work lunch provided catered sandwiches which I declined for my snacks. In the evening for meal 3, I had grilled salmon with roasted veggies – the Normandy mix from Costco, tossed in olive oil and herbs.

Day 3 -  Wednesday 10/30 – On the go again today. Meal 1 was eggs at a cafeteria in the building. Meal 2 was at the same location. They had a salad bar, so I had arugula, cucumber, olives, sunflower seeds, peppers and chicken, dressed with olive oil and vinegar. Meal 3 was at a restaurant, so I found an option for grilled salmon, asparagus and an avocado, tomato and cilantro salad. For snacks, I had walnuts and 2 pureed fruit packs I could easily keep in my bag. I found them at Costco, similar to applesauce. Costco Fruit Packs At night, I made roasted pumpkin seeds, with salt and olive oil and prepared roasted squash for later in the week. Squash was the ambercup variety, cooked with olive oil, allspice, salt, and just a hint of garlic.

Day 4 – Thursday 10/31 – After being gone last week, still haven’t had time for a trip to the store, so had almonds and fruit packets from the pantry for meal 1. Meal 2 was leftover salmon and roasted veggies from Monday with some roasted squash. For Meal 3, to satisfy a craving, I picked up ribeye, potatoes and fresh broccoli. Grilled the ribeye, baked the potatoes and served with tessame ranch and sautéed the broccoli in olive oil. Snacked on pumpkin seeds in the evening.

Day 5 – Friday 11/1 – Meal 1 was leftover ribeye, eggs and squash. Meal 2 was walnuts, zucchini basil soup and cod from freezer. Soup was frozen too from making bulk batches during bumper harvest of zucchini this summer. Recipe is here: Zucchini Basil Soup. Obviously, I don’t use sour cream, but I’m sure coconut cream would give a nice finish if anyone wanted it silky smooth. Snacked on almonds. Meal 3 was fish stew – cod, can of tomatos, potato, onion, broth, Italian herbs, old bay seasoning. Here’s a fish stew recipe, similar to what I made: Fish Stew Modifications include: added white potatoes to bulk up meal; no fresh parsley available, I omitted clam juice and white wine, but added hot old bay seasoning and franks red hot sauce. I love heat and spice.

Day 6 – Saturday 11/2 – Meal 1- leftover fish stew from Friday night; Meal 2 – ate out at a restaurant and had the zoodles with chicken. I requested olive oil instead of cream sauce and they did it. I finally made it to the grocery store, with a list and plan, so I could prep for the week. Meal 3 was sautéed shrimp, broccoli and squash with coconut aminos and sesame seeds.
Day 7 – Sunday 11/3 – Meal 1 –  leftover squash and 1 egg fried egg. Meal 2 was a family meal and one of my favorite whole 30 staples, Zuppa Toscana, thick soup with potatoes, sausage and kale. Here’s close to the recipe I used: Zuppa Toscana I made a double batch and used a little more potato, kale and sausage (2.5 pounds), so the soup was thick. I omitted bacon because I have a hard time finding sugar free. For the sausage, I used plain ground pork and made my own seasoning which was perfect: Italian Seasoning recipe. Meal 3 was grilled chicken thighs with taco seasoning and salad – lettuce, avocado, tomato, cucumber, carrot, celery, and onion. Dressing was Tessame ranch with chile garlic sauce and lime added. Again, I made my own taco seasoning to use for the thighs and for burrito bowls that I prepped: Taco Seasoning recipe

Day 8 – Monday 11/4 – Meal 1 – leftover Zuppa Toscana, easy to bring to work to heat up. Meal 2 was a beef burrito bowl I made Sunday night. Included ground beef seasoned with the homemade taco seasoning, cauliflower rice, tomatillos (finishing up what I harvested from the garden weeks earlier), onion, jalepeno, a spoonful of salsa, and then topped with half an avocado. I had a pear and almonds for a snack. Meal 3 was stirfry made of broccoli, carrot, onion, shrimp, garlic and coconut aminos.

Day 9 – Tuesday 11/5 – Meal 1 was a slice banana with frozen berries and 2 boiled eggs.  Meal 2 was a beef burrito bowl. Meal 3 was leftover Zuppa Toscana. I had a pear for a snack.

Day 10 – Wednesday 11/6 - Meal 1 was leftover zuppa Toscana. Meal 2 was a beef burrito bowl. Meal 3 was a family dinner that included grilled chicken breast, roasted white and sweet potato wedges (seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder and salt) and a chopped kale salad tossed with tessame dressing, olives, carrots and sunflower seeds. During the day, I had a pear, almonds and lara bar for snacks.

Day 11 – Thursday 11/7 – Meal 1 was the last of the zuppa tosacana. Work was busy, and I wasn’t hungry so I skipped lunch and had half a lemon RX bar, a chomp stick, and veggie pack  (carrot, celery and radishes) on my commute home. Meal 3 was grilled salmon, leftover potato wedges, and salad made with more tomatillos, cucumber, avocado, cilantro, jalepeno and lime dressing,

Reflections/NSVs: Week one went well despite not being able to prep and plan. I had the benefit of past whole 30 experience, so I knew what was compliant and what was off limits. Starting out, I had mild headaches off and on through the week, and was fatigued, but felt good by the weekend. Week 2 has been awesome. On the days I work, I’m up really early, and away from home for a minimum of 12 hours, depending on what the day looks like and traffic. Having meals prepped and plan written out make the whole 30 much easier. This week, I’ve had good energy, have exercised 4 days this week, and have been good about going to bed early. Motivation has been high and is fueling goal setting in other places of my life. The weekend is almost here and I’m looking forward to catching up on sleep, getting ready for week, being productive and having some fun. 

Day 12 – Friday 11/8 – Meal 1 was leftover grilled chicken and kale salad with tessame ceasar dressing, sunflower seeds, carrots and olives. Meal 2 was finally the last zuppa toscana. Meal 3 was the best, pot roast with potatoes, carrots, a little chicken broth and herbs in the instapot. This was only my 3rd time using it, but it turned out perfectly. I went to the store to restock on veggies, fruit and meat.

Day 13 – Saturday 11/9 – Meal 1 was 2 eggs over easy with sweet potato hash browns cooked in coconut oil with some green onion. Meal 2 was leftover pot roast, potatoes and carrots. Meal 3 was grilled sausage and green salad. This was the first day I felt a little off and had cravings. Between meals 2 and 2 I snacked on leftover hash browns, pot roast, a chomp stick, and a cashew cookie lara bar. I was tired too and napped late in the day which threw me off.

Day 14 – Sunday 11/10 – Meal 1 Breakfast – 3 scrambled eggs with half an avocado. Meal 2 was leftover grilled sausage and sautéed kale. Meal 3 was the last of the leftover pot roast, potatoes and carrots.  No snacks today and I don’t feel any of the snackiness and cravings I experienced yesterday, so I’m back on track. Energy was high too, I had a great work out at the gym and spent a good portion of the day in the yard cleaning up leaves. For the week, I prepped chicken burrito bowls, made a batch of zucchini mint soup with the last of this years’ garden, and portioned out meals to take to work for the week.

Day 15 – Monday 11/11 – Meal 1 - tuna with olive oil and kalamata olives. Brought soup to work, but didn’t have time to heat it up. Meal 2 was a chicken burrito bowl with avocado (included ground chicken, homemade taco seasoning, cauliflower rice, tomatillo sauce, and cilantro). Snacks included apple, almonds and an rx bar to fuel before a work out. Meal 3 was my favorite this week, Korean beef and  cauliflower rice. Here’s the recipe: https://www.thehealthnutmama.com/paleo-korean-ground-beef-cauliflower-rice/ I subbed purred pineapple for the honey.

Day 16 – Tuesday - 11/12 – Meal 1 wad tuna with olives again, and zucchini soup. Meal 2 was a chicken burrito bowl with avocado, and apple. Meal 3 was stew meat beef cooked with green chile sauce over cauliflower rice. Snacks included a lara bar, banana and almonds.

Day 17 – Wednesday 11/13 – Meal 1 didn’t happen today, so I only had coffee in the morning. Lunch was zucchini soup and leftover Korean beef. Meal 3 was leftover beef with green chile sauce. Snacks included pineapple, banana, almonds, and an egg, and I got a run in.

Day 18 – Thursday 11/14 – Unusual day to react to, so again, Meal 1 did not happen, so coffee until about noon. The real meal 1 was early afternoon and was leftover green chile beef with cauliflower rice. Meal 2 was rotisserie chicken, radishes, cucumber. I get snacky when I don’t eat earlier in the day, so snacks in the evening included almonds, banana and an egg.

Reflections/NSVs: Feeling good this week, and I love how not drinking alcohol feels. I've been listening to podcasts and reading material to explore extreme moderation or even abstinence moving forward. I had more sweet cravings this week than the first 2  weeks (rx bar, lara bar, bananas), but I worked out Sun/M/Tu/Wed so I'm not concerned. Pants are fitting better too and I feel more trim. Mental clarity is at a 10.