Primal Kitchen Teriyaki Sauce

ravo

• Moderators

Yes, this is fine. You need to look at the actual list of ingredients, not the nutrition info. The numbers in the nutrition info will show sugar content from fruits or vegetables, but all whole30 is concerned with is whether they added sugar or other sweeteners, which would be listed as ingredients. 

Hi Shannon, 

Thanks for replying. I'm still a little confused because all of their other whole30 items say "includes 0g of added sugar" even if there is natural sugar from fruits or vegetables. On this particular item it has a separate nutrition line to say "added sugar". This one says total 3g, added 2g.

In the ingredient list could it be the coconut syrup? 

• Moderators

I'm not sure exactly what they have to label as added sugar for the nutrition information, it might be the coconut syrup or the dates. The requirements for how things are labeled are set by the FDA. For whole30 purposes, the number in the nutrition information doesn't matter, all that matters is the ingredients. 

My somewhat-educated (but not necessarily correct) guess on this one is that the "added sugars" probably comes from the dates, which undoubtedly were added for the purpose of making the finished product sweeter. It's possible that it's from the coconut aminos as well, which are being used in place of soy sauce (to keep the finished product soy-free), but it's most likely from the dates instead.

Archived