Time Is Moving So Slowly But My Nose is Running Fast

LindaLee

So this is my third Whole30 and I'm doing it for a couple of reasons. Mainly, however, my sugar demon has been out of control for a really really long time, and as a result my energy has been in the toilet, I have had terrible ongoing allergies for the first time in my life, and even some asthma-like symptoms. I first noticed it all while training for a November marathon and decided to go get checked out at my doctor. I had a stress test that showed a "slight" abnormality in my EKG, which led to a panic attack and a plethora of cardiac tests - all of which were completely normal and actually pretty darned good, thank God. However, my blood pressure and cholesterol both were still elevated. Though my doctors are great people, they basically just wanted to give me meds and see what happens.

That doesn't work for me, so I went to some functional medicine doctors and am in the midst of several additional tests to try to locate the cause of the high cholesterol and BP (besides just "your genes"). I am on a very small dose of BP medicine and right now my BP is normal when I measure it at home. A second round of lipid tests showed a 60-point drop in my cholesterol though I had changed nothing - which suggests either the prior test was an anomaly or whatever caused the issue is a cyclical one. 

2 years ago I was almost exclusively Paleo, then I changed to a carb cycling diet and reintroduced rice, oats, and gluten-free items such as breads (usually those made with rice or potato flour) to my diet. 

So the most recent step was to embark on a new round of supplements and launch a new Whole30 to see if getting the sugar and the other grains out of my diet help with my symptoms. The timing is perfect because I am between goal races and also have begun low heart rate training for a spring half marathon and a fall full. So I don't have to try to go full force at the gym or during my runs.

I'm on day 7 and true to the schedule, I just want to nap, LOL. Plus my nose has been running non-stop for a couple of days. Overall, I still feel pretty tired, and though I know this isn't hard...it does seem like 30 days are taking quite a while to pass. I just wanted to find a place where I could talk about the process - hopefully not complain but just share - and learn from others' experience. 

LOL!  I'm victim to a consistently runny nose, too.  :unsure:  Removing peanuts and soy seemed to help me the most with that.  I quit my supplements for my W30 because of the soy oil base. 

Your fitness is impressive and inspirational!!  I'm unfamiliar with many of the terms from your other post in the athletes forum, but I want to investigate now!

Good luck!  As you already know, one day at a time or even one meal at a time.  You don't have to worry about the next 23 days, just your next meal.  :) 

I haven't had peanuts or soy in forever! I did quit my usual supplements and am just taking the ones my functional medicine doctor recommended! I think they're all pretty much soy free.

Today (day 8) hasn't been too bad. I do think my pants are about the same, but this round isn't about weight loss for me...I figure that'll come when I get my hormones and everything back in balance, and get that sugar under control. It's much more about getting some energy back.

What day are you on?

Archived