New Here & Starting January 1

shelbycloud

Good morning, everyone! I am Shelby. I am 26 and from South Georgia. My husband and I married in April of this year, and we have a four year old, four legged baby, Zoey, who is a blue heeler/beagle mix. After much internal debating, I believe I am ready to start Whole 30. I plan on starting January 1st. I am nervous, but excited. 

I am doing this because I have zero self control. If I have one brownie, I might as well eat the whole pan, or one drink on Friday night turns into several and a hangover. Since I was a kid, I have always binged ate when I was stressed out or to celebrate any and everything...for Pete's sake, I live in South Georgia and every life event we have here is centered around food. I know how I am supposed to eat and what is good for me, but I am bad about giving into cravings and not making the correct choices.

Aside from poor food choices, I struggle with anxiety and depression, especially in the winter/holiday season. I have low energy, and I have struggled with falling asleep and staying asleep for as long as I can remember. I'm not even going to get started on my skin issues... I have recently had a come to Jesus meeting with my doctor about my health. My LDL cholesterol is higher than we both would like, and I have continuously gained weight over the past several years. I have also been experiencing issues with my back, and have had to start seeing a chiropractor. I have degenerative disk disease, and I am constantly sore. At 26, this scares me. 

My husband and I are wanting to start a family in a few years, and I really want to have my body and my health under control before I start trying to become pregnant. I have recently weaned myself off of my anxiety medication in order to have that completely out of my system and be on a more wholistic anxiety management system by the time I decide to become pregnant. 

I want to have control over my body and my cravings. I want to feel good, and fit into the clothes I already own. I hope that Whole 30 give me the opportunity to become more in sync with what my body needs, and what foods are triggers or make me feel bad. 

Any and all help is welcome. I have read the Whole 30 book, and probably every article on pinterest, but I am always up for more information! 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Welcome! I too struggled with lack of control over my own choices and over indulgence. The Whole30 truly changed my life and I am SO excited to see what it can do for you. It’s totally normal to be nervous because it IS a big deal! Your health is a big deal and it’s totally worth it. You are worth it. Welcome to our community. There are so many resources and I know you will rock it! 
love, 

coach melissa

Welcome and best of luck to you! Here are some general tips and some of my favorite Whole30 recipe bloggers! I wish you the very best of luck. This is a great community and a great resources so please let us know if you have any questions or need any encouragement. You got this! 

General Tips 

• Know and understand the meal template. Try to match your meals to the meal template. This is not a rule, but it'll help you achieve the best results! 
  • Keep things simple. You don't need to try new recipes for every meal. Ingredient meals are quick and easy and can be delicious, especially if you can keep a variety of sauces or dressings handy to add some flavor.
  • Don't be afraid of fat! Eat it at every meal. We're so indoctrinated to fear fat in our society but it's so important to this program and achieving the full benefits from it. Trust the process. You signed up for this so do it right. It's only 30 days. 
  • Always, always, always read your labels (and recipes). You're putting this stuff in your own body. You should know what's in it. Don't take for granted that things are compliant just because someone says it is. Lots of people get it wrong and I've even seen the same product change to no longer be compliant. Know the rules and read your labels. Every single time. 

Favorite Whole30 Food Bloggers 

Anyway, congratulations on your decision to commit to this journey. Have fun! 

Not a dumb question at all! Here it is: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf! Let me know if you have any questions about it. 

Basically, you should fill your plate with 1-2 palm-size servings of meat, the rest of your plate with vegetables (1-3 cups) and a serving or two of plated fat (which varies depending on the fat source). That'll give you the very best results! 

In general, there are lots of great resources here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/.

I saved the Whole30 Common Additives Cheat-Sheet on my phone as a handy reference when I'm out shopping and am unsure if an ingredient is compliant! The Whole30 Guide to Sneaky Sugars is also super helpful to avoid letting sugar slip into your Whole30! 

Nice to meet you, Shelby! I'm starting on Jan. 1st too. Are you familiar with the Whole 30 Symptoms calendar: https://whole30.com/revised-timeline/? I've tried one round before and it really helped me to have an idea of what to expect. Everyone is different, of course, but if I was super tired or moody or something, I knew it was OK. I had to cut my first round short, so I'm sticking to it this time. We can do it!

Archived