Like an Onion

Brewer5

If you would have told me a couple on months ago that I would be sitting here ready to write this post - I don't think I would have believed it.  But here goes:

Alcohol has played a big part in my life since MIL came to live with us.  It started by buying some of those little cans of hard seltzer - low-carb sparkling water with alcohol - on our trip to go get her.  My husband and I went on that trip alone - and it just seemed like a relaxing "vacation" thing to do at the time.

That one moment set in motion an addiction - and I have had alcohol almost every evening since.  I figured out that the lower-carb white wines like pinot grigio are also super low-histamine, compared to reds - and I can "get away" with drinking that mixed with sparkling water, and not have it wreck my next day.

But is my next day ideal?  Am I feeling my best?  Of course not.

I'm not beating myself up for using this crutch to help get through this huge adjustment.  I'm not one to feel shame when it comes to my choices.  But I am ready to stop the cycle.  This is my life now - things are settling in to our new normal - and I do need to figure out how to manage my stress in other, more productive ways.

30 days of sobriety is in order, for sure.  Whole 30 is my ultimate reset.  My higher self knows this, and has guided me back here this morning.

So here goes.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1:  7/27/20

Starting weight:  120.4

Not necessarily trying to lose weight - just recording it here for future reference.

I overdid it with the alcohol last night.  Woke up this morning with a headache, low blood sugar feeling, and three trips to the bathroom.

I started to journal more about that, but later decided to delete it.  The main point is that I just want to feel good again.

I wasn’t able to sit down at the computer and keep great track of meals and times today - but I did keep the food compliant, and NO alcohol.  I haven't veered terribly far off course in the food department, so finding things to eat here at home was not a problem.

Just got done placing another Walmart grocery delivery order.  MAN, that has been a nice service to have - especially now that masks are mandatory in all public places in our state.  Honestly, who wants to go to the store?  I sure don't.

Overall, a good day.

Day 2:  7/28/20

--

Worked a nursing shift today, and just not much time for logging my food like I used to.  Deep thoughts might come another day, too.  :rolleyes:  

My food has all been compliant ~ this really hasn't been hard (and shouldn't be for me, anyway).  I think the tough moments will be when I really want a diet dew or alcohol.  Neither of those has hit me just yet.

@Amy_Michigan ~ thanks so much ~ good to hear from you!

Its midnight- the start of my August whole30!  Ahhhh!!!!!  

Today was weird.  I got my second occular migraine of my life.  My vision had weird wavy/zigzag lines in the shape of a teardrop.  It went away in about a half hour.  I think they are usually caused by food, according to Google. But I have no idea what caused it.  I had just eaten a pancake with butter and maple syrup.  lol...not too many nitrates in bisquick I don't think.  *Shrug*

Day 6 yesterday:  8/1/20

--

This is going okay.  Cravings for dumb stuff are definitely tied to stress and/or going too long without eating enough protein.  That's not a shocking new revelation.

Last night after I plowed through a 9-hour shift, I came home and ate, and realized how overstimulated I felt.  That's the time when I'd be reaching for alcohol to just sort of mute the world around me and the swirling thoughts from work and life in general.  But - I didn't.  I just told myself it was time to close my eyes and go to sleep.

Today is a new day, and I don't have to work.  Focusing on self-care and getting some things done around the house, I suppose.  The first episode in a new season of Umbrella Academy finally came out on Netflix, and my youngest has been patiently waiting until our schedules line up so we can watch it together.  It's a rainy day ~ so, pretty sure I can make time for that. ;) 

@Amy_Michigan ~ one thing is for sure: that was a clear sign from your body!  That sounds rough.  I hope you feel better today.

Day 7 yesterday:  8/2/20

--

I don't have anything to say about yesterday.  It was compliant & fine.

Today I found out some news that I might want to bury in a bottle of wine tonight.  But guess what?  That news will still be there tomorrow.  And the next day.  And the next.  Forever.

So I won't.

Day 8 yesterday:  8/3/20

Day 9 today:  8/4/20

--

The urge was more strong than ever tonight, to throw this out the window and go buy some wine.  But I did not.  I'm eating compliant food & going to bed sober.

Sober isn't always a comfortable place to be ... but neither is hungover.  I've got stuff to do.  Stuff that matters.

Day 10:  8/5/20

--

The news I speak of (which I cannot yet bring myself to speak of here) is weighing heavy on my heart tonight.  I've stayed strong for other people, and I've held back the tears because I don't want to discuss it with MIL.  Man, it's weird having someone else living in your home ...  We get along fine, but this is deep and personal.  Very, very little is "mine" anymore.

So, I'm finally sitting outside, alone, late at night, and having a good cry.  The dogs don't mind.  :)  And they don't ask me any questions.

Tomorrow is a new day ~ and I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks @Semi ~ I meant to say that above ^ but it deserves its own post anyway.

4+ years is a big, huge deal.  I appreciate you sharing your experience, and I definitely appreciate the encouragement.

There has only been one other period of my life where I drank on a nightly basis.  I didn't really consider it a problem at the time, and even looking back - I don't see that it caused any big problems.  But clearly it's not ideal.

This stretch lately was worrisome.  I don't want to go back there.

11 hours ago, Brewer5 said:

There has only been one other period of my life where I drank on a nightly basis.  I didn't really consider it a problem at the time, and even looking back - I don't see that it caused any big problems.  But clearly it's not ideal.

This stretch lately was worrisome.  I don't want to go back there.

It is good to recognize that nightly drinking is not ideal!

That's always the first step for change!

I hope you had an amazing day! :)

Day 14:  8/9/20

--

I just don't have much to say at this point.  

Whole 30 works, it just makes sense, and it's not anything new to me.  

I feel a lot better and I can't really believe where I was a couple of weeks ago.  

I've reduced my stress considerably by not signing up for any nursing shifts for over a week now.  That helps!

Day 15:  8/10/20

This is easy now.  The food has been easy all along, because it’s how I normally eat, for the most part.

After going through what I went through last week - and doing it 100% sober, just digging deep within myself - I have a new perspective.

Posting about this feels like one of those people on social media who will post some vague statement about what a bad day they are having, because they just want someone to ask about it.

I don’t.  I can assure you, I don’t want to talk about it here.  It’s not internet material.

I will say, it was life-changing ... in a way that very few things in my life have been.

The Me of Previous Layers of This Onion would have caved ... so, so caved.

But that’s not me anymore.  In fact, I knew for certain that I needed to be sober through this.  It’s like I was guided back to W30 *just* at the right time.  In fact, I know I was.  I spoke on Day 1 of my higher self.  ...She knows things I sometimes don’t.

I’m changing course in my career.  The stress of long-term care has driven so many unhealthy choices.  It starts with one, and then there’s a snowball effect.  I am no good to anyone if I don’t take care of myself.  I really know that to my core now.  I’m not going back.

Your introspection is inspiring Brewer.  You have come a long way in just one short week.  You had a strong W30 foundation and I believe that was truly a blessing for when you just wanted to drown your thoughts in wine.  Please know that I wish the best for you, and that I hope you continue with what you need to live your best.  Good luck with the career change.  Ugh long term care looks so tough, even more so right now with covid.

Day 16:  8/11/20

--

Thanks so much for the support, ladies.  It means more than you know.

I'm not sure what direction I will go with this RN title.  I've only worked in long-term care, but there are so many options.  I'm going to let it rest for a bit.  When the path is clear, I will see it.  I do know that much.

For now, I do still have my marketing job - which I love.  That is a position I was led to - zero doubt about that - and it is where I belong at this moment.  Rather than suck the life out of me, it brings me joy.  It adds, instead of takes away.  Honestly, how many people can say that?  ...Well, several, I suppose.  But not the majority.  Not by a long shot.

love my residents in long-term care.  If loving and caring were some of the top requirements to be a great LTC nurse, I'd have this job in the bag.  But the reality is that there is very little time for loving and caring.  Those moments I have with my residents are fleeting ... deep, and real, and meaningful ... but fleeting.  There is too much for one person to do.  And it wears me down.  It is not just physical - I could do a great physical job outside from sun up to sun down.  It's the combination of the physical, the mental, and the emotional, all at once.  I'm not built to go pedal to the metal in all of these areas for hours at a time.

--

Today I came home from the office and the kitchen was destroyed.  There were 2.5 capable adults here for the 5.5 hours I was gone.  It was a giant moment of WTF.

The thought of a glass of wine crossed my mind - I won't lie.  But my next thought was that I was in recent days coming home and having wine all the time, no matter what.  Good days, bad days, all of the days.  It didn't actually solve any problems, but it helped me get through the evenings in a more oblivious state.

Oblivious.  That's the word that just came to mind.  Well, that's a great place to be:  unmindful, unconscious, unaware.

--

We were talking with MIL the other day about how she can't just focus on the number on the scale.  I said, you have to pay attention to how you feel, how your clothes fit, how's your mood.  She said, "Well, I do get depressed sometimes."  And my immediate response without thinking was, "Well, that's just life."  {shrug}

And we all kind of laughed and just shrugged at each other.  

You know what?  It just IS life.  Life is not meant to be all sunshine & roses ... things do not always go our way.  We must know sadness to truly appreciate happiness.  We must experience loneliness to truly appreciate the presence of a good, true friend.

I have already stated here in the past that I may continue to go through these cycles - cleaning things up with W30, then loosening up and relaxing, then realizing I've relaxed too far, then going back to W30.  I would prefer to keep things W30 most of the time.  But you know what happens?  Life.  Life happens.  And that's okay.

Archived