Paleo to W30

sgc

I have been doing Paleo since Sept.  I feel I have stayed compliant pretty much 100% of the time.  I have not done (knowing cheats) even thru the holidays.  I workout at a crossfit type gym 5 days a week.  I have actually gained weight doing Paleo.  Last check 4 lbs.  I am not feeling non-scale victories.  I am considering a round of W30 in January and just wondering if my results will be the same with W30 as they are with Paleo.  I think the only things I would really need to change would be no Stevia, no plantain chips and no Siete Chips.  My goal with Paleo was bodyfat loss.  Anyone had similar situation?  Any thoughts?  Thank you.

@sgc There's no way to know for certain whether or not your body will have the same results, but I'd say that it's worth a shot to do a month and see what happens. The biggest difference (for me) between Paleo and Whole30 is addressing the actual relationship I have with food, causing me to be much more mindful of when, how, and what I eat. Not snacking mindlessly (even on "good for me" foods) led to weight loss in my case, without even doing additional workouts.

That said, remember that Whole30 isn't actually promoted as a weight-loss diet, despite the fact that many people do lose weight by changing their dietary choices and avoiding unhealthy food-related habits. Also remember that there's no counting calories when a Whole30 is in progress (despite Jim's advice), even if it's really tempting to do. :) 

13 hours ago, Jihanna said:

Also remember that there's no counting calories when a Whole30 is in progress (despite Jim's advice), even if it's really tempting to do.

@Jihanna I didn't advise to count calories as part of Whole30.  I was giving advice on how to lose weight.

Thanks.

Jim

13 hours ago, Jihanna said:

Whole30 isn't actually promoted as a weight-loss diet,

@Jihanna Whole30 actually is promoted for weight loss.  The web site says "millions of people have changed their lives with the Whole30 program; eliminating cravings...and losing weight.

Screenshot_20200101-083128_Chrome.jpg

@Jim Baunach Losing weight is a pleasant side effect for many people who have followed Whole30, along with many other potential results (such as those referred to in the image there). Whole30 is an elimination diet, not a weight-loss diet. You don't have to take my word for that, though, nor even that of the moderator's in the many posts where they've responded with that reminder...

Melissa says it herself here https://whole30.com/whole30-weight-loss-hacks/

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Jim Baunach said:

@Jihanna I didn't advise to count calories as part of Whole30.  I was giving advice on how to lose weight.

Thanks.

Jim

This is a Whole30 Forum, and we ask that you stick to the framework and rules of the Whole30 when supporting people here. This is not the place to discuss non-Whole30 topics (ie how to make paleo pancakes, recipes for alcoholic drinks,  weigh-ins, etc) - there are many other forums for that.

We specifically ask participants to NOT weigh themselves and NOT count calories. We believe that weight loss that occurs within the program is largely a result of changing one's relationship with food and eschewing diet mentality. 

On 12/29/2019 at 5:32 AM, sgc said:

I am not feeling non-scale victories.  I am considering a round of W30 in January and just wondering if my results will be the same with W30 as they are with Paleo.

@ultrarunnergirl I was simply responding to the above question from @sgc regarding whether her results of no weight loss would be the same on Whole30.  There is no way to know until you try Whole30, but just explaining the only surefire way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume.  Any weight loss from Whole30 would be an incidental effect of burning more calories than you consume while on Whole30.  This is the reason why I'm trying Whole30, which is to eliminate cravings and avoid counting calories and thus have the weight loss be an incidental effect of the program.  However, if one wants to be sure to lose weight, then making sure you burn more calories than you eat is the only sure way.

Thanks.

Jim

Archived