First timer starting January 2!

jchap09

I'm really nervous -- I've been planning and researching but I have never been the type to stick to something like this. I chose January 2nd because I'm going to a NYE party tonight where I know I'll be drinking, and I don't think starting Whole30 while hungover is the best idea. Plus I have the day off work tomorrow so I can spend the day shopping for my first week of meals! My sister in law is doing it with me but she lives across the country, so I'm hoping for some extra support on here. Here we gooooo!

How was everyone's first day yesterday?   :)

Mine went better than expected! I was so nervous to start this because I have a serious sugar addiction and - being a Wisco girl - a deep and abiding love for cheese. But yesterday wasn't nearly as bad as I feared it might be, and I felt pretty good all day.

I made the coconut-curry chicken and cauliflower rice for dinner last night and even though only my husband (a bit loosely) and I (100%) are doing the Whole 30, my kids ate that, too, and loved it! I love Indian food, especially chicken or beef shahi korma, and the curry sauce for the chicken tastes just as good as the authentic sauce I've made in the past and takes way less time, so I was thrilled to find that I can still satisfy my Indian fix in a healthier way.  I did add a handful of raw cashews before I pureed the sauce, just for a little extra depth of flavor. 

Anyway, I love that the Whole 30 book has so many good and easily adaptable recipes - they taste delicious and I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.  I'm lucky to have a Trader Joes within 10 minutes of my house because they carry a lot of Whole 30 compliant foods, like no sugar bacon. And they have these yummy little fruit bars for $0.99 that are literally just apples and mango, or apples and strawberries - yet they taste great and are satisfying!

What are y'all making for dinner tonight? 

My first day was great! It was probably the first time in my whole life that I ate three whole meals and didn't snack in between. Today has been harder, just because I didn't eat my full breakfast (it just didn't sound appealing <_<). But that's the last time I will do that; I was SO hungry all morning. I caved and bought snacks for this afternoon on my lunch break -- carrots & guacamole or celery & almond butter to keep in the work fridge for this first week while I'm learning and adjusting.

Oh, and dinner tonight -- meatballs served with cherry tomatoes and zucchini noodles! Making two servings so that I can have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Way to go, @jchap09!  I had carrots & guac as part of my lunch yesterday - so yummy. I'm really glad that a nice simple guac is okay on Whole 30 because it's one of my favorite foods and easy to make. Your dinner sounds yummy, too! My husband and I discovered zoodles a little over a year ago and love them. My half-Italian kids are a harder sell on zoodles over pasta, but frankly I think the sauce is where it's really at anyway!  ;)

Hello! I just started my whole30 yesterday too. I've tried two Whole30s so far and only made it 10 days, but that's some kind of victory. I'm super motivated - something about start of a new year, especially because the back end of 2019 was pretty hard (lost several people). Yesterday, I made the Asian Steak Salad from NomNomPaleo for dinner. It was good but there was probably not quite enough dressing. My daughter added more and thought it was delicious. tonight, I'm going to make Potsticker Stir Fry (also NomNomPaleo). 

I made the Potsticker Stir-Fry earlier this week and have been having it on a bed of spinach for lunch the last couple days.  If I make this again, I'm going to increase the vegetables (cabbage, carrots & mushrooms), as it was very meat heavy (although delicious).  Putting it on spinach helped a lot.  

I started on January 2nd, too! You’re going to do great!! I have all my food for the next two weeks (might need to stop by for more veggies). I went to Aldi, Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. I am stocked and ready to go! I bought all of the Whole30 cookbooks. I just put in Hot Beef from the Whole30 Crockpot cookbook (p.115). What is everyone meal prepping this weekend? 

16 hours ago, cehawley said:

Hello! I just started my whole30 yesterday too. I've tried two Whole30s so far and only made it 10 days, but that's some kind of victory. I'm super motivated - something about start of a new year, especially because the back end of 2019 was pretty hard (lost several people). Yesterday, I made the Asian Steak Salad from NomNomPaleo for dinner. It was good but there was probably not quite enough dressing. My daughter added more and thought it was delicious. tonight, I'm going to make Potsticker Stir Fry (also NomNomPaleo). 

You’re going to do great!! I believe you can do all 30 days! It’s for your health! I’ve started many but only completed 2. I can feel the inflammation in my body when I run and definitely want to get that out. What is your reason for doing the Whole30? Maybe thinking about that will help you push through to the end?!

20 hours ago, jchap09 said:

My first day was great! It was probably the first time in my whole life that I ate three whole meals and didn't snack in between. Today has been harder, just because I didn't eat my full breakfast (it just didn't sound appealing <_<). But that's the last time I will do that; I was SO hungry all morning. I caved and bought snacks for this afternoon on my lunch break -- carrots & guacamole or celery & almond butter to keep in the work fridge for this first week while I'm learning and adjusting.

Oh, and dinner tonight -- meatballs served with cherry tomatoes and zucchini noodles! Making two servings so that I can have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Rookie mistake! I learned the hard way one time not finishing my meal. Never again!! You’re doing great and keep up the good work! 

I started January 2nd as well.  I am so glad that this forum is available because I am going this alone.  My husband supports it and has agreed to the no grains at home meals and mostly no alcohol.  He likes the two meals I have made so far and I think he will be surprised just viewing some of the recipes.  I hardly slept last night (which I do have trouble sleeping, but last night I was awake for over 2 hours).  Has anyone else had this issue?  Has anyone done the whole30 before?  If so, how long before you see a sleep improvement.  It's my number one reason for trying this.  

6 hours ago, jtrimble said:

I started January 2nd as well.  I am so glad that this forum is available because I am going this alone.  My husband supports it and has agreed to the no grains at home meals and mostly no alcohol.  He likes the two meals I have made so far and I think he will be surprised just viewing some of the recipes.  I hardly slept last night (which I do have trouble sleeping, but last night I was awake for over 2 hours).  Has anyone else had this issue?  Has anyone done the whole30 before?  If so, how long before you see a sleep improvement.  It's my number one reason for trying this.  

I also did not sleep for a few hours in the middle of the night last night. I do have some sleeping issues, as well. This is my 3rd Whole30 and it was recommended to me before to take Calm Magnesium before bed. It works like a charm! I just need to order more. I need my sleep! 

10 hours ago, Ejanecek83 said:

You’re going to do great!! I believe you can do all 30 days! It’s for your health! I’ve started many but only completed 2. I can feel the inflammation in my body when I run and definitely want to get that out. What is your reason for doing the Whole30? Maybe thinking about that will help you push through to the end?!

Thanks! There are a lot of reasons I'm doing the Whole30. First is that (at least at first) when I have a strict regimen, it's easy to follow all the rules. I've frankly been "trying" to lose weight for quite a while, but when evening rolls around, my husband and I truly enjoy our cocktail ritual. Which has a tendency to blossom into a more than one cocktail ritual. Oh, and the holidays were epic from a gluttony perspective. So the Whole30 is a combination get healthier/dry January program. I still feel awesome. I rode 13 miles on my bike today, for the first time in over 8 years - I blame pregnancy, a small child, then investing more energy in SCUBA than cycling. But it was great. Roasting a chicken tonight with roast potatoes and sauteed spinach on the side.

Hello All! Tomorrow is my start date. I've tried starting in the past, but always bailed because I'm just not good at getting everything right in the recipes. It just seems so high maintenance. I know it's just something I have to learn, but I'm doing a small "cheat." Using Snap to prep my food for the first week. It's super expensive, but I'm hoping it will give a chance to figure out what I'm doing. I know I can't afford to use them for all 30 days. Thoughts?

Honestly YvyRianna, just skip the fancy recipes and stick to the basics... eggs and veggies for breakfast, salad with lean protein for lunch, lean protein and veggies for dinner.  Throw in some healthy fats (avocado, nuts, oils) and you're set.  Doesn't have to look pretty to be compliant and satisfying!  If you start to get bored or feel you're eating the same thing too much, then take a stab at a simple recipe to mix it up.  Good luck!

@YvyRianna I agree with @CeeGeeBee, make it simple. A grilled chicken and veggies, compliant tuna salad over spinach or on raw peppers. Easy to make and you can put the tuna on a variety of things so you don’t get bored. Crockpot meals are easy and can last for days. I workout before work and don’t have much time to make breakfast before work so I’m going to make a breakfast casserole today and portion it into containers so I can grab and go and eat it at work. Definitely buy food items that can be interchangeable and used in anything. 

I'm on Day 5 now and feeling pretty good! I was really tired yesterday and took a half-hour nap before dinner, and then had some trouble falling asleep, but overall have felt like my quality of sleep has been better, which is nice. 

Meals are going pretty well, but I feel like I need to do more raw veggies versus always cooking them.

Have only had a few really hard cravings to overcome, mostly on Day 3. Baked goods are my weakness, lol! But I resisted and I find the cravings getting less as each day passes and I fine-tune my eating. 

I can tell this is flushing out the bad stuff from my body though - my rings are feeling looser, my body looks a bit deflated with no puffiness/bloating, and I feel different on the inside. All good!!

We've almost got a whole week down - way to go, y'all!

Archived