Maddie's Jan 2020 log

Madeline368

Well tomorrow is the big day.  I intend to log all my meals, exercise, sleep, and how I feel so that I can really track improvements.

Day 0- weight 127lbs (weight loss goal 7 lbs)  Waist 31 Hips 37

Goals:  lower inflammation, reduce pain, increase energy

Current:  back/shoulder/hip pain, migraines, extreme fatigue, IBD, nausea

I made a whole 30 meal for dinner: the beef broccoli stir fry with cabbage from the fast and easy book (note: recipe is not fast or particularly easy). Realized while I was eating that broccoli, onion,  and cabbage in the same meal was probably a bad idea and yep, I'm paying for it now with a major stomach ache.  Good to know for future meals that I should avoid those, at least together. 

Ugh, I hate breakfast.  Food in the morning is just so gross.  

Couldn't fall asleep until about 2am. Got up just after 9. Breakfast around 10. Broiled red pepper, 3 scrambled eggs in ghee, guacamole and salsa. Also coffee with French vanilla nut pod creamer. 

20200101_100704.jpg

Day 2- tried to go to bed at 10, didn't fall asleep until close to midnight and slept poorly.  Overslept a little and got up at 7:15.  Normal morning nausea- made myself drink a glass of water before coffee with collagen and nut pod creamer.  Forgot a morning meeting so packed a breakfast and just now eating at 10am.  Carrot sticks, hard boiled eggs, guacamole, and a banana.  Lunch will be leftover fish and sweet potato and olives.

TMI Warning

About an hour after eating I started getting really intense stomach cramps- I assumed it was all the raw carrot on an empty stomach but it's been 4 hours and I'm still really hurting.  It might be constipation- I will try some remedies once I get home.  I waited until 2ish for lunch because of the pain then forced down a bunch of olives (for the oil) and a little leftover salmon and sweet potatoes.  I'm also trying to drink a lot of water.  I'm really tired and have that 3pm brain sludge- maybe a cup of black coffee would help both issues, lol.

Hi I hope you are feeling better today. I had something similar happen when I tried to do whole30 last January. 
looking back I know my stomach was hurting but I gave up really quickly because it made me emotional. Just know you might feel all the emotions but I hope you can keep going!

Could you try eating some roasted potato’s? You seem to be eating similar things so maybe switch it up a bit and add some chicken or beef. 

peppermint essential oil to smell or even put on stomach might help! 

@Brezymurph thanks for the encouragement.  Peppermint essential oil is a great idea.  I have chronic stomach/intestinal illnesses and I'm afraid I might be having a flair up or even another infection :( Today was slightly better but not great, so if I'm not better by tomorrow I will go to Urgent Care.  I confess I did eat off-plan today and will have to restart when I feel better.  I am committed to staying sugar free and eating as little off plan as possible so that it's not so hard to get back on track.  Trying to stay hydrated too.

Breakfast:  bone broth and a banana, half cup of coffee with nut pod

Lunch:  bone broth with non-compliant rice noodles (homemade ramen, basically.  I needed something I knew would be gentle on my tummy)

'Snack': more bone broth (go figure) and a cup of coffee with nut pod

Dinner:  tomato sauce, turkey meatballs

I meal planned tonight using a low-FODMAP plan and ordered grocery delivery of stuff I could count on to be safe.  Have to go to the store this weekend to get meat and the rest of my groceries.

I hope you continue to feel better! I have a history of gastrointesntjonal issues. Today was a rough one. It’s almost 5am and having tummy issues. I need to switch to low foodmap foods as well. I think onion is In so many whole30 recipes. I need to stay away from it. 

@Brezymurph I hope it is going well for you.  Onion- yeah I've been avoiding it for years but not to the extent I should.  Usually I will chop it really big so I can get the flavor in the cooking, but then I pick them out.  I should probably not cook with it at all.  Garlic is worse for me, I LOVE garlic.

I am still having intermittent issues, I went to Urgent Care yesterday and they told me to get my gallbladder checked out so I have a doctor appointment tomorrow.  For now, I'm going to continue to try to eat healthy but I'm suspending my Whole 30 until/unless I can identify what the problem is.

On 1/6/2020 at 11:19 AM, Madeline368 said:

I am still having intermittent issues, I went to Urgent Care yesterday and they told me to get my gallbladder checked out so I have a doctor appointment tomorrow.  For now, I'm going to continue to try to eat healthy but I'm suspending my Whole 30 until/unless I can identify what the problem is.

Something very similar happened to me; during Lent last year (before I ever did a Whole30), we were trying out a modified version where we still ate cheese and included some beans. In the months leading up to starting this, about one time per month, I would have horrible cramps not related to my cycle. Then, three weeks in to the diet or experiment or whatever you want to call the non-Whole30 thing we were doing, I woke up in the middle of the night with cramps worse than labor pains. I couldn't get comfortable and I couldn't go back to sleep. Finally when the urgent care opened that morning (Sunday), I went - not knowing they didn't really treat stomach issues. They sent me to the ER, where the doctor suspected my gallbladder. After bloodwork that only had a slight elevation of while blood cells, an ultra-sound that didn't show anything, then a CAT scan, they discovered it was appendix (luckily not ruptured). Surgery a few hours later. I have often wondered if those cramps once a month were "chronic appendicitis" and I wondered if the rapid change in my diet (from unhealthy to healthy) caused my appendix to boycott (though you would think it would be caused by the opposite....so it is likely not the case)

All this just to say - ask lots of questions!  Make sure they looked at everything during the ultrasound. Hope you are ok. 

@heb2014 thanks for sharing your experience.  I had blood work done and an ultrasound where they looked at my whole abdomen- everything came back okay.  At this point we suspect either I had a brief bug- or it was a flair up of my IBS due to going off the rails with my eating in December.  I'm not sure why it hit when I was on day 2 of the Whole 30, maybe because like you said I changed habits so suddenly.  In any case, I've decided to start working with a dietitian on a low-FODMAP diet to heal my gut.  The diet is very, very strict in some ways- with limits on portions, times of day to eat and exact meal and snack plans.  But it's not a whole 30, so I'm done with this plan, at least for a while.  

Archived