Very hungry mommy 1st Time whole 30 Jan 2020

BabyBear

I am working like a madwoman today.  It’s my busy day.  I had only 15 minutes between meetings to eat!  Thank goodness for my little workhorse Hot Logic Mini it has my food hot and ready perfectly cooked when I was ready to eat.  Put food in plug and go.  It heats it up keeps it warm doesn’t overcook or burn.  I’ve been using 3-4 times a week for 6 years.  I use it for everything from left overs to cooking a meal with fresh or frozen ingredients.  It can hold enough food to feed me and my three boys when we are all needing a to go lunch together.  All the claims of what it is capable of that the company made are true.  I know I’ve tested them.  I made another post about in another thread, but thought I post in my log too. Best part is they are on sale.  I have never caught them in a sale so I bought two more today.  Normally they are $49.99 but they are only $19.99 right now and I could not pass that up! 

https://hotlogicmini.com/products/party-like-its-1999

21CD1B89-C8F9-4AD2-BB15-3E533566F5DE.jpeg

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6:15 rise up and hit the ground running.  Welcome back to the bump and grind.  Wednesday’s are hard physically and mentally for me.  I drive 1 hr and 20 min to the big city to meet with clients all day.  It’s a good day just demanding.  The boys get to spend their day with grandparents so they look forward to Wednesday’s and are always helpful to get everything done and out the door.  I got up 30 min later than planned, darn snooze button.  I panicked because I wasn’t going to have time to fix breakfast.  As I was packing up lunches I asked myself what advice would you give to someone in my position.  So the troubleshooter in me said self toss some of that pork butt in a container and heat it up, slice up and apple and toss that with some almond butter in a container and take it on the road.  And so I did!  And it was delish!  I’m so glad I had a week to get my feet under me before I had to be wide open with life with the whole 30 in tow.  

7:30 M1 - LO pineapple pork, Granny Smith apple, almond butter..  

Got my lunch in my hot logic and plugged in so it will be hot and ready to go when I’m hungry.  I love my Mini Hot Logic, it’s the best thing to happen to left overs ever.  I normally hate leftovers, but when I use the hot logic to heat them up it’s like magic, plus no waiting on the microwave line.  Also I can throw fresh or frozen ingredients in and it will cook my food in less than two hours.  When I cook food in it it turns out similar to cooking in a crock pot.   Well worth the money! It holds enough to feed me and the boys for the days we are out together.

I’ve been thinking I may get another one to have on hand.  Oh wow they are on a crazy sale right now, $30 off making them only $20!!! Yes I’m getting one, maybe two.  They are that awesome    
https://hotlogicmini.com/products/party-like-its-1999

12:00 M2 - LO BBQ chicken baked potato, baked apples and ranch.  Having my food hot and ready for me when I’m ready for it between meetings makes life so much easier.  I only had 15 minutes to eat, but that was plenty of time because my food cooked itself.  Onto the next client!

This client I always get the munchies and craving for chocolate, which I Almost never deal with else where.  I’m aware of this and I’m drinking lots of water and bunkering down.  I’m  plan on having a podcast playing in my ear to distract from the cravings.  

6:30 M3 LO fajita steak and peppers. On a bed of greens with cherry tomatoes and avocados topped with salsa and ranch.  This was soo good!  I stopped when I was satisfied and full.  I also ate slower because I was taking bites between the pushing of the pencil (and keyboard)

I kept catching myself clenching my teeth as I was trying to get all the work done and realized I was trying to grit through my hunger as I worked.  Silly self, no need to grit through it because dinner was prepared and waiting on me to get hungry.  So I took a brief pause to put my dinner together and then back at it.  I think eating slower I found that less filled me up… normally a inhale my food unless I’m working while I eat.  There’s too much to unpack tonight in regards to why I eat so fast.  I was going to try to force down the last few bites and I realized I didn’t have to do that.  I was allowed to stop when full.  

My energy was a little more abundant today and the mood was also lighter. It’s been a long full day.  Finally getting home at 10 and I’m going to soak in an Epsom salt bath as I ponder what I must do to ensure a successful tomorrow. 

On 1/8/2020 at 2:39 AM, BabyBear said:

then I fell, off the kids bunk beds.  The ladder I was using to retrieve things off of their bed broke and I fell.  I broke both bones in my left fore arm… after several hours of surgery I had a very very long recovery ahead of me.  Even though it doesn’t seem like it would be.  This was very traumatizing physically, mentally and emotionally.  

I am so in complete awe after reading this story.  What you went through, I can't even imagine.  I am so sorry you went through that!   You achieved so much, and to go through what you went though...   You fought so hard and now you are here, and I feel so fortunate to have heard your story because it is truly inspiring!  We are independent and powerful enough to control our own destiny through hard work, trial and error, and personal reflection.  I'm going to take that thinking into my own health journey and I'm so glad you shared your story. 

On 1/8/2020 at 1:39 AM, BabyBear said:

After I journaled and had a good cry I began to feel again. I felt some joy, some pain, and some hunger.  

This makes me want to say "bless your heart" and give you a hug and all those other strerotypes about Southern hospitality. Thank you so much for sharing your story. 

@Amy_Michigan thank you for your kind words.  I’m glad my story has inspired you.  Sometimes i take for granted how significant an impact certain events have had in my life both positive and negative.  This food experiment has been an amazing opportunity for me to unpack a lot of what has taken place in my life and how food has played a large role in it.  Even now I press on toward the mark!

7:00 hit the ground running.  Today was our homeschool tutorial day.  I love this day, even so it is a very demanding day.  I got lunch packed up and snacks for the boys, books diapers, teaching supplies and even remembered to grab my breakfast.

8:00 M1 eating in the truck LO pineapple pork with Primal Golden BBQ sauce (this stuff is da bomb) apple and almond butter

I tutor the younger kids ages 5 to 8 and phew do I get a workout.  I keep my class up on their feet and moving while we learn.  I think my favorite movement today was blasting off like rockets as we listed the names of some of the US space missions.  I find all the movement helps them when it’s time to sit for things like art and science experiments.  It was fun and exhausting. 

12:30 M2: LO roasted chicken, asparagus, salad greens, blueberries and ranch dressing

Between feeding the baby and talking with some other moms I almost missed out on finishing my food.  My timer went off and I have to scarf down my food like a half starved maniac so I could get ready for my afternoon class.  That class is not as physically active but requires more brain power as it is 9-11 yr olds and we are diving deep into the English language and how to structure and style writing.  Plus we play some fun, fast and furious math games.  For being the first day back from winter break the kids were very engaging and the class was amazing! 

7:30 M3 - LO pineapple pork, Golden BBQ sauce,  baked potato, and steamed broccoli with the rest of the ranch I had made.

I’m so wiped out after our community day, but in a good way.  I had to do some work when I got home.  About the time I’m trying to drag myself to the kitchen the hubby called and asked if he could bring dinner home for us.   Where he wanted food from I wasn’t sure if they could provide a compliant protein, but I knew that I could get a baked potato and steamed broccoli unseasoned.  So I said yes and that seem to please him.  I heated up the pineapple pork, which taste even better than it did the first night, to have with my food order.  It was nice to have a small break in the kitchen tonight.  

I’ve had a great day!  I had to be mindful today to avoid accidentally snacking on babies snacks throughout the day or even grabbing some of the chocolate out of the directors candy dish.  I saw it and my brain went “oooh free chocolate” I had to stop and ask myself really what’s so great about it, is it simply because it’s free that you feel the need to partake?  Do you really want chocolate right now? Would you have wanted chocolate if it hadn’t been sitting there?  No, so why now?  And then I was fine with no desire to stick my hand in that bowl.  Being mindful and changing my behavior one self talk at a time.  I hope I’m not the only one crazy enough to talk to myself and respond lol.

Day 9 is in the books! And my bed is calling my name.

6:10 Up and at em.  Another busy work day ahead.  Phew I can do this! 

7:30 M1: scrambled eggs with garlic powder basil and oregano cooked in coconut oil.  Wilted spinach, roma tomato, 1/4 avocado.  Tossed it all in a plastic container and had to eat on the road.

Mornings are my nemesis, but I determined to see this through. So take that mornings!  It feels good to be taking care of me.  Also not spending $20-30 at restaurants on days we have to be on the road is a NSV I did not anticipate!

Trying not to get anxious about next week.  I have to travel with my hubby to help with booth at a big roller skating party.  He has his own business selling roller skates.  I’m talking specialized custom high end roller skates.  We have high end inventory in everything from the boots down to the wheels and bearings.  I am loss control.  I prevent the $200+ wheels from walking away lol.  I help make sales too but truly he’s the real genius.  It’s crazy busy long days, typically on these trip we make it by on one meal and snacks, and hole lot of caffeinated sodas.  So I have to get an idea for compact but filling meals that will be a quick grab and go.  I’m definitely bringing my hot logic, and we have made sure we will have a mini fridge.  My challenge on this trip is we will not be staying at the host hotel, which means I will not have access to my room throughout the day/evening while vending. I’m open to any suggestions so please drop a comment if you have any suggestions that can help me prepare to be whole 30 strong next weekend.

1:45 M2:  pineapple pork with golden BBQ sauce, asparagus with olive oil and garlic powder, 1/4 avocado and 1/4 cup blueberries.

I was sooooo hungry at noon, but alas I was pushing through to get done.  Lunch was so yummy.  I’m exited to have time to go to Sprouts while I’m in the city to get some compliant bacon.

Success at Sprouts!!! For being such a little store, they had a lot of stuff.  I found raw goat cheese for my boy with allergies.  He was so excited!  I found compliant kielbasa that was pork free so all of us can eat it!  Cajun sausage potatoes and green beans is back on the menu. Compliant bacon and compliant deli meat!  I even grabbed a couple RX bars to try.  I’m
Thinking they will come in handy next weekend

5:00 stopped to meat hubby 35 minutes from home to eat and change baby, but the place was way to crowded so hubby decided we should go ahead and drive back to our little town to eat.  So I grabbed an RX bar because I was starving and if I walked into Raphael’s hungry then I would have ended up having regrets.  

5:45 grilled chicken, onion peppers and a baked salad.  I asked them to hold the rice and to use only olive oil as a cooking fat.  I love the little mom and pop restaurants we have, the owners take a lot of pride in their places and are always so willing to help you out with dietary needs.  Even though there are certainly less places to eat than we had in the big city, I find the pay off of customer service and quality food is fine by me.  I have to say this was the first time I was tempted, like seriously had to harness some inner will power as I cut up the pizza for the baby.  Oh my their pizza is just amazing!!!! I used probably 20 napkins during dinner wiping my fingers every time I touched the babies food so I would not accidentally taste the pizza on my fingers and wake up my inner pizza panda.  I’m sure my husband was thinking I’m crazy, and he’s probably right.  Dinner was delicious although it was no pizza.  It’s okay though, I don’t really want the pizza right now.  I have more at stake right now than my taste buds.  

There are dishes to do from lunches and laundry to fold, but as Scarlet O’Hare would say “Tomorrow is another day.”  On the agenda for tonight. Epsom salt bath and some Netflix and chill with the hubby.  I will most likely make him popcorn and get bring him a little Debbie and milk after the popcorn eating, but as for me I will quite happily and quite contently be by his side sipping my water.  I’m full I don’t need or want a snack or another bite of food today.  I’m proud of me for stepping outside of the comfort box for no one else but me this time.  I’m making my health and well-being as much as a priority as I do my children and that is a huge NSV in my book.

Why Hello there Day 11, don’t you look promising.

7:00 up with baby.  I’m still tired but determined to make this day productive so here we go.

8:30 M1: 3 eggs w/ rosemary thyme salt and pepper and cooked in coconut oil.  1/2 a grapefruit and 1tbs coconut oil.

I just wasn’t hungry this morning.  I forced food because I didn’t want to end up feeling sluggish, but really I feel like I could have gone without.  The grapefruit was amazing but just not hungry enough to eat the whole thing.  My dirty little secret when I am need of a fat to add to meal and nothing sounds good I just eat about a Tablespoon of coconut oil.  You could add it to a hot drink or melt over your food if you wish but I just take it straight.  

I’ve been getting things done despite the very cranky teething baby that has had a hold on my apron strings all morning.  He normally doesn’t take a morning nap but he was at melt down level so I laid him down with a bottle to have some down time for him.  

Well that lasted 30 min but I got a load of dishes done.  I’m starting to feel frustrated because I can see so much stuff to do around the house.  So when I get like that I need to stop and see what I have accomplished already.  2 loads of laundry and a third one started, I load of laundry folded, breakfast and clean up, 1 load of dishes done, chicken stock cooking. And it’s only 11am

12:30 M2: Aidelles smoked chicken and apple sausage cooked with onion peppers and garlic in ghee.  Served over a bed of spinach with cherry tomatoes and 1/4 avocado.  

I wasn’t hungry all morning but 11:54 hit and I was oh man I could eat something good.  So I made so something good! And my boys agreed it was tasty.  I had to hide a portion for me to have for leftovers later.  Archery practice was canceled due to the crazy weather we are having.  Batten down the hatches there’s a nasty storm a brewing.  

6 hours ago, BabyBear said:

I just wasn’t hungry this morning.  I forced food because I didn’t want to end up feeling sluggish, but really I feel like I could have gone without.  The grapefruit was amazing but just not hungry enough to eat the whole thing.  My dirty little secret when I am need of a fat to add to meal and nothing sounds good I just eat about a Tablespoon of coconut oil.  You could add it to a hot drink or melt over your food if you wish but I just take it straight.  

I don’t know if your a coffee drinker but sometimes I get my morning coffee put it in a blender with a tablespoon of coconut milk (from the can) and blend it. I even add my collagen peptides to make it frothier. But it gets frothy with the coconut milk too. 
it’s a good way to add some fat :)

I rested for an hour in the couch while hubby veged out on his game.  It was nice.  I thought about ways to survive next week being on the road vending.  I have a plan coming together! 

7:20 M3: grilled chicken that marinaded in the Asian sesame kabob sauce, Yum! Grilled pineapple, grilled garlic asparagus, and compliant mashed potatoes recipe from defineddish I think.  

http://www.thedefineddish.com/whole30-mashed-potatoes/

09E06FB6-BFA2-4970-BE88-7E7DC5A1C270.thumb.jpeg.f0820b5eea48fa288b698fa2c0f2931e.jpeg

Wow dinner was amazing!  The most time consuming part was the potatoes and those weren’t even that long.  I kept dishes washed as I went so that made clean up after dinner much more bearable. I had to plate my leftovers before the boys ate them.  I’m glad they enjoyed it enough to come looking for more.  

My biggest NSV yet, as is my custom, I asked my hubby if he wanted any of the food I was making (he never does) and he said yes he would like to try a little.  What?!?!? I could have done a cart wheeI!  I was so excited to “feed” him. I  know he likes good creamy mashed potatoes so I pulled some potatoes out and did his mash potatoes the way he would like them, heavy cream and milk.  Why, because I adore him.  He has never taken me up on real food! Oh, He lets me make him the occasional sandwich or grilled cheese and loves my desserts, but never has had a meal I make.  There is a history there, one he doesn’t care to talk about, and I think it may be a trust of others/control issue.  Honestly I think someone in his past poisoned him on purpose or not I don’t know.  Plus he is a pretty picky eater.  If it ain’t fried, a cheeseburger, or pizza he’s probably not going to eat it.  I knew all this marrying him and have no intentions to change him.  I like him just the way he is, quirks and all!   He ate it, and liked it! He even Said the chicken had good flavor.  

I got dishes done, chicken cooking for shredded  chicken in the PC. The baby is in bed and I’m ready to relax.  It’s been a productive and good day. 

That’s all she wrote for day 11

4 hours ago, Brezymurph said:

I don’t know if your a coffee drinker but sometimes I get my morning coffee put it in a blender with a tablespoon of coconut milk (from the can) and blend it. I even add my collagen peptides to make it frothier. But it gets frothy with the coconut milk too. 
it’s a good way to add some fat :)

No I am not far from it.  Back when I used to work in the corporate world full time I would arrive to work an hour early just so I would have to deal with the smell of coffee in the break room.  I’m a tea girl, but I’m even abstaining from that currently.  My sugar dragon is a Siamese twin with caffeine 

This is resonated with my soul this morning after my morning quiet time. 

They say the bravest thing is for an addict to take the first steps to recovery.  Food is my drug of choice, and I am neck deep in the struggle of recovery.  

This journey is so much more than just what I choose to put in my mouth!  80% of the struggle is mental/emotional junk I must overcome, and no one but me can do it for me.  

It is Day 12 and I am resolute today and in this moment to change my mindset and my desires towards food and health.  I am better than I was, but not as well as I could be.  The struggle is slow and long, but temporary.  I am changing.  This is my metamorphosis.

42E0E7FF-507A-4F6C-9D3E-6B782E2087C7.jpeg

7:30 I’m up and ready to conquer the day! 

I got the lunch going, the few dishes done, dishwasher started, and diapers started.  Normally Sunday morning can be a little crazy but today was pretty smooth.  We got out the door in time.  

I love Sundays.  I love being with my sacred family.  I enjoy my time of fasting, reflecting, and reconnecting.  It’s been a good day full of friends and fellowship

NSV:  I put on a skirt I haven’t worn in a few months mainly because it was a little too tight and uncomfortable to care for baby in especially at church.  Well, it’s not too tight anymore.  I found I was pulling it up rather than down. I actually felt pretty in the skirt rather than uncomfortable and awkward.  

NSV: when I changed this afternoon and buckled my belt I noticed I went down another hole.  I’m on the 6th hole on my belt. When I bought it early fall I was on the the 2nd hole!

Today’s been pretty great, but it got even better when the hubby told me not to head home. He was headed to the city to deliver a skate he sold and he thought while we were both in the city we should have a date night and go skate.  He sure does know my love language!  Luckily my mom is pretty flexible and almost never turns down a chance to have the grandkids.  It felt great to be on my skates.  

NSV:  I didn’t search for a big boxy shirt to wear tonight.  I grabbed on of my ladies Ts which are typically too figure formed for my comfort.  I wore it with confidence and it didn’t look bad.  I felt good in my clothes today.  All day!  So yeah that’s a pretty good victory In My books.

the hardest part of my whole30 is feeling a bit disconnected with my husband on a night like tonight.  Normally we would have gone to this family owned hole in the wall that stays open past midnight and makes the BEST calzones ever.  We share one and discuss whatever comes up.  If I’m not eating the food they serve we are both a little to practical for me to go and just sit.  That would drive us both crazy. Plus he wouldn’t enjoy his meal  with me not partaking.  So with kids to pick up and over an hour drive home I just headed out to take care of the things.  Honestly we don’t do it often so our Calzone May be one thing I splurge on when I’ve arrived to food freedom.  Because in that moment it is about so much more than just the food.

day 12 that’s a wrap 

ha ha I fell asleep before I hit the submit button.

7:00 rise up, oh crap it’s Monday and we are going to be late.  I got the boys up.  Sat the baby on the potty, and Made my hot lemon chia water while I waited for him to do his business.  I was tempted just to slap a diaper and go, but I’m so glad I gave him a potty-tunity.  As with any new habit I find that potty training is 80% mommy mental/emotional aptitude and about 20% babies cooperation.   Kind of reminds me of this whole 30 experiment.  It’s 80% mental/emotional and 20% physical cooperation.  

8:00 S1: banana
I stopped at a gas station to grab a drink and snack to go with my 13 DS lunch and grabbed me a Banana.  Just a little something until I can get back home to my kitchen.  

10:40 M1: LO chicken apple sausage, onion and peppers.

I grabbed a steak biscuit and hash rounds for my hubby to surprise him with breakfast in bed.  He had a late work knight after skating last night getting orders prepped and getting ready for the big weekend.  He was very appreciative.  I wasn’t even tempted this time no desire whatsoever to eat it, it smelled greasy to me.  That feels good to know I’m making a difference in me.  I came home got baby settled into breakfast delivered the biscuit and milk to my beloved and then decided to just heat up some leftovers for breakfast.  That worked out and I enjoyed it.

1:30 M2:  2 fried eggs cooked in ghee.  Sautéed cabbage with bacon, tomato and 1/4 avocado

F94A5337-21D0-4521-9E75-8EF1A06CA3B3.jpeg.61a9ab27ac68cc59fa7ff5fcafe316d0.jpeg

I’m living wild today.  Well not really but this lunch was definitely outside my norm of eating.   I used to think I hated cooked cabbage… well turns out I only hate boiled cabbage.  I was visiting a friend last year and she chopped up a head of cabbage and a package of bacon and threw them on her blackstone grill… it could have easily been a FWOB.   So for lunch I sliced up two pieces of NS bacon and tossed them in the frying pan and shredded 1/2 head of cabbage and tossed that In too once the bacon was cooked and just let it cook in all that delicious bacon grease… oh my!  Then feeling adventurous I fried my eggs.  I am not a big fan of eggs… I can eat them scrambled with lots off added spices, but never fried.  It just seem like this beautiful bed of cabbage deserved something a little more sophisticated than a scrambled egg.  So I went with it, and it wasn’t to bad! 

8 minutes ago, BabyBear said:

It just seem like this beautiful bed of cabbage deserved something a little more sophisticated than a scrambled egg.  

I've never heard a fried egg described a sophisticated -- love it!   :lol:

Day 13 cont 
Honestly I just was not hungry this evening.  I did get my menu and shopping list for this week figured out.  Dinner for the boys and then dishes.  After all that it was back out to pick up milk for hubby and also for baby.  Then I had to high tail it to the big city to pick up something’s from sprouts for the trip and then meet my hubby on the tail end of his business meeting to drop off hi truck to get new tires and a fe things fixed before our trip.  While I was waiting in the parking lot adjacent to McDonald’s which I hate I did decide to have an Rx bar and compliant beef stick I had just bought.  It helped with keeping me awake.  I have spent nearly 7 hours driving today and I’m spent!

11:30pm S2: coconut lime epic bar and beef stick

Finally got home 1:20… time to shower and collapse into bed.

It’s Day 14, two weeks compliant and that is saying something!

7:55 rise and shine. Lots and lots to do today.  Got everyone up and started food prep.  1st up sweet potato mini quiche.  I scored some sausage at Sprouts that is compliant, and it’s got a kick.  I hope I can handle the heat!
The mini quiche turned out lovely!  

BB80739F-3336-4A48-B230-C4539DBB3D46.jpeg.33caf92f1e82a5611e6bc6afc49c9e0f.jpeg
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6A6B3dlqGR/?igshid=1dp1uzcylnsaq

9:30 M1: 1.5 eggs and about 6oz sausage and 1/3c pineapple.

I had about 1.5 eggs left over and 1/3 of the sausage so I tossed the two in a hot pan and made me a sausage scramble.  Oh I wish I had had some Lettuce left because that would have been great as a wrap.  I finished off the pineapple with it. Yum!  Now to rush off to the boys cooking class.  I have to remember no taste testing the apple pie or quiche they are making.  

And they plopped a piece of ice cream and pie down in front of me! So I fed most of it to the baby and when he was done… I grabbed the plate and spoon, picked it up took a long whiff as my eyes rolled back into my head I tossed it in the trash. That’s how we tame the inner two year old saying I want it! I want it! I want it!  Not today sweetheart, it just doesn’t match up with your current long term goals darling.  There will be apple pie in your future, just not today so sit your butt down and drink some water.  And so I did.  

Day 14 cont
4:45 M2: LO Asian sesame chicken breast, mashed potatoes and grilled pineapple.  Oops pineapple two meals in a row. Oh well better than eating apple pie.  Lol. 

So I have just not been hungry.  The food has been delicious and but I feel full still and I forced myself to eat as I realized how late it was getting.  It may be stress, I have a million things in my to do list running through my head that I just haven’t had the thought capacity to consider me.  I do this and my body goes in survival mode knowing that it can make demands but they most likely won’t be met so why bother asking.  I’m trying to work through that… so I ate even though I’m not hungry and now I feel really full.  

8:00 M3: grilled shrimp, baked potato with ghee, steamed broccoli.  

No energy. I feel like I could slip into a coma and sleep a thousand years, maybe I need a power nap before I go to the store.

Archived