It's wine o'clock, what are you doing besides drinking?

BeckyB

I knew this moment would come - whole 30 day 1 without alcohol - and it's touch and go!  I went for a walk, and now I'm going to make some tea and watch TV.  It's really something how having drinks at the end of the day can become such a knee jerk habit.  I know I can do it, this isn't my first Whole 30, but I will admit not having alcohol is hands down the toughest part for me.  

Anyone else?

Hi Becky,

Same!  It's sure a tough habit to kick.  My daughter is also doing a Dryuary, which will help, and my neighbors, who I have drinks with fairly regularly (we're on a trivia team at the local pub).  

Since better sleep is high on my list of NSV's I'm looking for, I plan to turn in earlier than my normal for the next 30 days.  Maybe a longer bedtime routine, including some nice self-care (i.e., face mask, bubble bath, pedicure - not all on the same night ^_^!).  And yes, herbal tea or Pellegrino with a slice of lime or cucumber are my go-to alternatives to wine.   

We got this.  Cheers ---- wait no ... I guess, just have a good night!  

Ann

Hi @Ann and @BeckyB...yep! It is remarkable how a routine and habit can take you by surprise when you stop. Cocktail right about now...typical evening. I repeat in my head "I do not want what I do not have...I do not want what I do not have..."--sometimes it even works! 

And I am going to say cheers to you both: maybe the 30 days of cheers with a fizzy water and double lime can spawn a new routine and habit....!

Until tomorrow...

I quit drinking 4 months ago and long before I quit drinking I had the mentality that "oh, I can't quit drinking this month because I have (insert excuse here)" and I finally just realized that life was going to go on regardless and if I wanted to make the change then I would just have to commit - what's worked for me around the drinking part is getting creative with mocktails - I love to use a fancy glass and muddle some fruit together and add some club soda and garnish it, it makes me feel like I'm part of the social scene without the toxicity. I hope this helps! 

• Moderators

A lot of people find that doing something relaxing/self-care helps. So if you're used to having that wine while sitting and catching your breath, still take that time for you to sit, do nothing or maybe call a friend or something else that feels indulgent/gives you permission to NOT be doing something productive.

one thing that helps me is to 'confuse' the trigger.  walking in the door after work, my trigger of making a drink kicks in.  if I make myself, instead of going to the kitchen, go to the bedroom and put on my walking shoes and then going out the back door and walking the neighborhood (while listening to a book or a podcast), my trigger is going 'what? what's happening?'.  I've found that if I can get through the timeframe of 5-7 pm, I'm fine after that and the trigger shuts up.  

I'm in Northern Ca. where the wine is exquisite and abundant. I'm also grieving the loss of my pet rabbit who I had for 7.5 years and was my main companion. A glass of wine would be amazing - every single night for a couple weeks. But I committed to Whole 30. And the benefits of a clean and healthy (and lighter) body will outweigh the short term emotional urges. I know that. But need to remind myself constantly. I'm walking and drinking hot tea instead. And early bedtime. And crying more than normal for this huge loss. 

fullsizeoutput_30ea.jpeg

So happy to find this post!!  I am struggling with this as well.  We have several friends doing a dry January, but not the Whole30.  After a stressful day I was relying too much on a couple glasses of wine so this will be an excellent re-set!  I had sparking water with a splash of lime and fruit juice (100%).  It definitely helped more than having just water like I did the first two nights.  

Archived