January Whole30 Log

lizziehall

I saw these logs while doing some research on the forum and thought it would be a great way to keep myself accountable over the next 29 days. I’m on Day 2 of my second round of Whole 30, so far so good! I learned in my last round that meal prep and having food on hand is SUPER important for me so I’ve been working on that by cooking a lot these past 2 days. I just stocked up on Trader Joes compliant items and have an order from Thrive coming in soon so I’m trying to set myself up for success there, too. I hope to focus on eating 3 meals a day and snacking less this round, as last time I really didn’t follow that advice.

Day 1:

breakfast: Trader Joes cauliflower gnocchi with homemade red pepper tomato sauce

lunch: I had to eat lunch while at my job as a server, so this one was an “on the go” meal. Epic chicken sriracha bar and seaweed snacks from Trader Joes. I’ll have to pack bigger lunches in the future, restaurant food looked so tempting!!

dinner: Came back starved, ate 4 large, homemade meatballs and tomato sauce.

Day 2:

breakfast: homemade chicken apple sausage, half an apple (leftover from recipe) and almond butter.

Now back to the kitchen to make some pineapple chicken and salmon! Goal for today: make sure to get enough protein, carbs & fats in each of my meals.

Update! Life happened and I didn’t get a chance to prep the chicken or salmon so I’ve been doing a lot of leftovers. I’ll make sure to get around to it today so I can avoid being bored with my food. Also, I’ve never been into exercising but this morning I woke up really wanting to go to the gym. Not sure if it’s a result of the food or just the new year inspiring me but I’ll take it!

day 2

lunch: 3 meatballs with spaghetti squash and homemade red sauce, mushrooms in balsamic

2 mini dinners: leftover meatball and squash from lunch, 2 chicken apple sausages, mango slices, dried seaweed

late night snack of pistachios

day 3

breakfast: 2 homemade chicken apple sausage and an avocado with EBTB seasoning.

lunch: 3 meatballs, mushrooms and zucchini cooked in balsamic vinegar.

dinner: 2 4oz burger patties with avocado, jalapeños and compliant salsa, sides of asparagus and cauliflower gnocchi with homemade spicy red sauce.

day 4:

breakfast: 3 eggs with zucchini, spinach and mushrooms

My worst whole 30 nightmare is happening right now, I got sick. I felt it coming yesterday morning but worked a double shift anyway, I thought I could push through it. By the end of my shift I could hardly stand without leaning on something, my lower back, throat and head were all killing me. Went home and immediately fell asleep but ended up waking up worse. I’ll be trying to eat softer foods or things that support my immune system today to help get rid of this bug :( 

day 4: 

lunch: zoodles with ground beef and spicy homemade red sauce

dinner: chicken topped with bruschetta (tomato, onion, balsamic) and potatoes

day 5: (beginning of feeling sick)

breakfast: chicken mushroom bone broth from Kettle & Fire, an RX Bar at work

lunch: spaghetti squash, homemade meatballs and red sauce, seaweed snacks

dinner: I skipped dinner to get to bed early

day 6:

breakfast: the rest of the chicken mushroom bone broth, orange juice with lemon, ginger and cayenne, (later) chicken apple sausage

I’m already feeling better from my cold, maybe thanks to Whole 30! Yesterday was tough, though. It was the first time that I really was tempted to eat off plan. I wasn’t into any of my meal preps or compliant snacks but I forced myself to just suck it up & stay Whole30. I’m still feeling pretty bored with my meal options today so tomorrow might turn into another meal prep day. 

I’m feeling a little guilty. This morning I had a doctor’s appointment and the nurse weighed me. I could have not looked but it was way too tempting to be on the scale and not check. It wasn’t anything surprising but still, a personal fail for looking. 

day 6:

lunch: garlic/lemon salmon and asparagus

dinner: chicken apple sausage, this was the only thing that seemed good to me

day 7:

breakfast: an apple with almond butter, again this was the only thing that appealed to me

lunch: spaghetti squash, ground beef, spicy red sauce

Writing out my meals just made me realize that when I’m not “in the mood” for Whole 30 I go for sweeter compliant foods. I should probably force myself to eat a protein, veggies and fats to help get rid of the cravings instead of indulge my sugar dragon. 

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, lizziehall said:

Also definitely encountering some digestive issues yesterday and today, is this normal around day 7? 

Could be. Bloating is definitely pretty common around this time. Cooked rather than raw vegetables, limiting nuts/nut butters, and drinking plenty of water should help.

day 7 continued:

dinner: 2 4oz burger patties with guac, caramelized onions, jalapeños, salsa verde and lettuce, side of mushrooms.

day 8:

breakfast: 3 egg omelette with zucchini, mushroom, and spinach topped with a small avocado and old bay seasoning. This was way too much food for me but I’ll put half in the fridge to finish later. I normally dont eat before 11 so I think this was the problem.

Overall right now I’m feeling like I’m kind of in a rut with this program. My day off today means meal prepping so hopefully that helps! I will stick with Whole 30 because I owe it to myself and my overall health. I remember feeling so good last Round and I want that feeling back!! 

Random note: the bad dreams about eating sweets are back!

Hi @lizziehall! Have you had a chance to check out the Whole 30 timeline? It lays out a framework of symptoms you may feel and why you may feel them. Obviously everyone is different, but I find it comforting to know what to expect. Dreams and bloating are normal! https://whole30.com/revised-timeline/ 

I also feel you about being in a rut. Try to dedicate some more time to try new recipes and textures. I find texture is really important for me. I'm glad you're feeling better! 

When I’m finding myself board or discontent with food ideas I hop on IG and check out the whole30eecipes. There is a ton of variety as they showcase a different person each week and each person brings a different flare with them to the “table”. I’ve gotten a lot of inspiration there

I’m feeling better about Whole30 today after making a new spicy chicken dish that I’m obsessed with. I’m still feeling a little bloated but I’m hoping that goes away by the weekend because I’ll be in Florida tomorrow through Sunday. I’m going for a Conference for a Master’s program I was accepted to and, honestly, I’m not too worried about it. I’m not in a position to ask the chef or ask for special accommodations, I had an opportunity a while ago to ask but I didn’t know about doing Whole30 yet. I’m just going to do my best because the meals are buffets, but I also packed a bunch of snacks if necessary. I have bananas, apples, almond butter, seaweed snacks, chomps beef sticks, and rx bars. It’s gotten easier since my last whole30 as far as pre-packaged foods go, although a lot are fruity carbs. I’m hoping to stop by a grocery store after my flight as well to grab some easy things like bone broth, nut pods, lunch meat and precut veggies (celery, carrots and cucumbers). My roommate is going to thing I’m a food hoarder lol! Wish me luck, and leave any tips you have for attending work conferences!

day 8: 

lunch: 3 whole eggs, deviled

dinner: zoodles and meatballs with homemade red sauce

day 9:

breakfast: (on the go) banana, shredded coconut, chomps stick and bone broth

lunch: jalapeño pineapple chicken (YUM) with avocado and a sweet potato with almond butter

It’s day one of the conference I’m attending and I am ready to handle this challenge! I flew out this morning and have spent the afternoon sitting out by the pool. I bought a compliant salad from Chipotle but haven’t been hungry enough to eat it. I haven’t had too much of an appetite lately, I think it’s just that I’m not craving as much anymore and just eating when I’m actually hungry. I’ve also been eating a lot of protein so maybe that helps.

day 9: skipped dinner

day 10: 

breakfast: tuna salad with compliant mayo, dijon and yellow mustard, and celery, sipped on chicken bone broth with ginger and turmeric

skipped lunch for now, I’ll probably eat some chipotle before our official dinner

So far so good, I’ve just been trying my best to stay compliant while not stressing too much about it.

day 10:

dinner: seasoned chicken and a delicious tomato salad. Not 100% sure about the chicken being compliant but it looked

day 11:

breakfast: fruit, bacon and an rx bar. The bacon probably wasn't fully compliant

lunch: salad with tomato, cucumber and salsa, a side of sweet potatoes. I’ll probably eat an Epic bar or Chomps stick to get some protein at my next break

day 11:

I ended up eating almost half my day old chipotle about an hour before dinner. Lunch did not hold me over at all! Dinner was salmon, “coleslaw” (there was no mayo, just oil) and mushrooms.

day 12:

breakfast: pineapple and watermelon, hash browns with peppers (again, possibly not fully compliant but I’m trying!)

lunch: banana with almond butter, chomps stick and green juice with apple kale spinach and ginger.

My conference is now officially over and I made it with like 98% compliance! I know it’s not a Whole30 if its not 100% but I’m trying not to be too hard on myself. I’m reminding myself that I am SO proud of myself for saying no the the constant stream of *free* bread, cheese, and dessert. The hardest things to say no to were the healthy but noncompliant options like hummus. The key was packing things like Rx bars, almond butter and chomps sticks so I had something to combat those temptations with. I’ve been feeling pretty good, my stomach feels flatter and I got through longer days without getting too tired. I am excited to see how I feel when I get back home and in a routine because it’s hard to tell what is due to Whole30 and what’s due to travel. 

One big thing on my radar is that my sister, who’s been doing whole30 with me, has been talking about quitting a lot. I still plan on finishing it if she stops, but I could see it being discouraging. We’re almost halfway already, though, so I’m hoping that Tiger Blood hits soon & has me locked in. 

I have been gearing up for the energy of Tiger Blood, but the past two days I have slept in until 1pm!!! What is happening?? As a server, I rarely have work before 4 so I don’t set an alarm but I’m always up by 10 (LATEST 11). I’m thinking I could be tired from my weekend but this is sort of ridiculous. I’m even falling asleep pretty early, sometime between 10 and midnight. So weird. At least I’ve been feeling good during my awake hours.

day 12:

dinner: spicy chicken with pineapple

day 13: 

breakfast: 2 eggs over mushrooms, zucchini and spinach with hot sauce

lunch: epic bar and Rx bar while at the grocery store/work

dinner: chicken burger with spicy mayo and salsa- a weird but delicious combo.

I woke up at 7:45 to an alarm today and haven’t felt too tired or like I need to go back to bed. We’ll see how this day goes, I’ll be doing the Closing shift at work which means getting home around 10:45. I’m definitely noticing a difference in my body, I have little to no bloating throughout the day and I can see my waist getting smaller. This is exciting and definitely encouraging to keep going for the full 30 days. Another plus is that junk food is way less tempting for me now. My boss bought a bunch of free food for us at work yesterday, all of which was fried. It wasn’t even hard to say no! I’m so happy that this is starting to get easier :)

day 14: I only ate 2 meals because I woke up at 1pm, which meant I was hungry and ate 2 snacks after dinner

breakfast: sweet potato hash with onion and bacon, topped with 1 fried egg

dinner: pineapple jalapeño chicken 

snack: rx Vanilla almond butter, seaweed snacks

I can’t believe I’n halfway done! I’ve been thinking more and more about reintro and life after whole30 and I’m looking forward to eating sushi again :) My food is starting to feel more monotonous but I don’t want to meal prep while I have so much prepped already. I think my food boredom is the reason I got pink highlights in my hair today lol! I’ve been breaking out a little and I’m feeling pretty tired and bloated lately. I’m just trying my best to stay on plan and holding out for that Tiger Blood.

day 15:

breakfast: sweet potato hash with 2 eggs

lunch: 2 chicken apple sausages

dinner: spicy pineapple chicken

day 16:

breakfast: same as yesterday

I’ve noticed that my behaviors have been getting healthier aside from eating whole30 meals. I’m drinking more water and being more aware of my activity levels, which is awesome. I think Whole30 just has health always on my mind and I’m really happy that it’s changing how I live. I’m less hungry between meals and my mindless snacking is almost cured (nuts are the hardest thing for me to say no to, I will grab a few throughout the day). One goal for the end of this Whole30 is making sure I’m getting enough vegetables, I’ve been slacking recently.

I’ve been getting heartburn since yesterday which normally happens when I eat dairy, I guess there’s another culprit. I’ll have to experiment to see what’s causing that. I have a feeling it’s that I’ve been eating dinner after work and going to bed shortly after. I’ll have to start packing a dinner and eating at a more reasonable time.

day 16: 

lunch: 2 applegate hotdogs, yellow mustard & compliant ketchup

dinner: chicken apple sausage

day 17:

breakfast: green smoothie with spinach, avocado, a banana, frozen mango & water. YUM I’ll be making this again when I wake up without an appetite

snack: plantain fried in coconut oil

I haven’t checked back in a few days so I’m not going to bother listing all my foods like I usually do. I’m on Day 20 & have been facing the biggest challenges yet for this round. I’ve been able to avoid going out to eat for a while, but this weekend was FULL of going out. I ate before meeting friends for one of the meals, but I couldn’t avoid it all. I ended up getting baked (unbreaded) chicken wings with an old bay rub for Dinner on Saturday, pork tacos that I just ate the insides and left the tortillas at brunch, a chicken taco in a lettuce shell for lunch, and a Salmon salad with berries for dinner yesterday. It was not easy to say no to my favorite restaurants/dishes, especially when everyone was celebrating for a friend’s birthday and drinks and desserts were everywhere. 

Overall I feel pretty good. I’m proud of myself for getting through the weekend, despite a lot of “I’m so over this!” complaints. 

Day 21 done! I am feeling better about everything because I took time to think about my NSV’s today. I’ve stopped wearing concealer/foundation because my skin rocks, learned to cook so many new great recipes, cracked my snacking and sugar habits, had more energy at night and done something great for myself and my health. I feel like now that I’ve gotten this far I will definitely make it through this Whole30 and a slow and steady reintroduction.

Note of another GREAT recipe: thai coconut curry meatballs from Mary’s Whole Life (sub chicken)

Archived