January Whole30 Log

lizziehall

Already on Day 24, time is going so quickly! I imagine this last week won’t go quite as quickly though. I’m ready to do reintro, I’ve found myself saying “isn’t 24 just as good as 30?” 

I’m moving back to school on Sunday so my meal preps are lacking because I won’t be able to transport them easily. I’ll do a stock up of compliant foods when I go back, but for now I’m just eating random things I have around to get rid of them. This means lots of kale salad! At least I like it now. My taste has been changing in the past couple weeks and I find myself enjoying things I previously disliked, like chicken salad, deviled eggs and kale. I’d consider that another NSV!

Day 26 now, it’s so close! I’m moving back to school today so I’m struggling to find foods to eat around the house. I haven’t been grocery shopping because it makes more sense to me to just do it at school, but that makes these two days pretty tough. Yesterday I worked a double at work (10am until 10pm!!!) and forgot all the food I had packed.... it was rough. My boss also brought out all the new desserts to taste test along with a few salads that definitely weren’t compliant so it was so hard. I ended up ordering a salad with sushi grade tuna, olives, asparagus and hard boiled egg and added olive oil and apple cider vinegar but it was not at all what I wanted in that moment lol. By 10 I was starving again when my coworker offered me the cheeseburger she ordered and another friend offered me a slice of pizza, I was about to lose my mind. But I went home and ate the last of my meatballs and an RX bar because I thought I could use the extra calories. This morning was full of temptation too at hospitality Sunday at church because I hadn’t had time to eat before mass. I feel so full of complaints right now but these past few days have been tough! Earlier on I think I would have cracked but with the finish line in sight I pushed through. Now it’s time to go to school & grocery shop. Here’s to a great last few days!

Just when we think it’s going to be smooth sailing life pulls out all the stops and let’s us have it.  Way to exercise those muscles you have been building over this past month to remain resolved in your plan!  Congratulations the top of this mountain is in sight. 

It’s day 28! I’m excited to wrap everything up but scared of going back to real life. Less rigid rules, like food freedom, never tend to work out for me. I always end up straying once it twice and then throwing it all away. I’m hoping reintroduction helps me with setting hard & fast rules for my diet in the future.  I already know dairy messes with my stomach so that’s out but I’m looking forward to seeing what gluten does to me.

I still haven’t done much meal prep at school, mostly because my grocery trip was kind of a fail and a lot of things I needed weren’t there. With work all day tomorrow and Thursday, I won’t have time to make much until after the 30 days are over so I’ll be figuring it out as I go in the meantime. Today was successful with a sweet potato hash for breakfast and steamed broccoli/cauliflower and a hotdog with mustard and sourkraut for lunch.

Day 30!! I can hardly believe I’ve made it this far but I’m proud that I didn’t quit like I have in the past. I feel great and have developed a much bigger love for cooking than I did the first round. I know how important home cooking is to a healthy lifestyle so I’m so glad I’ll be able to do it painlessly now!

I went to Whole Foods this morning and grabbed a bunch of things for reintro but I struggled and walked up and down the aisles so many times. So many if the gluten and dairy options did not appeal to me at all which us awesome! I have decided not to buy anything with dairy, I’ll be grabbing a drink with a friend on my “dairy reintro” day so maybe I’ll get a cheese plate just to see how it goes but for now I have no planned dairy reintro. I got a box of pasta for gluten day but it doesn’t really sound good to me, I’ll try it out just to see what happens but I don’t see myself adding gluten back to my diet any time soon. Some things I am so excited for: rice, oatmeal, beans and hummus. Having those in my pantry may be a little tempting but I’ll be sure to keep my non gluten grains and legumes days 3 days apart. Hummus will just have to wait.  

Congratulations to anyone else who made it this far in Whole30!!!! Everyone who followed along or responded helped me so much in staying on track, this log was such a great addition to my Whole30. 

Today is day 33 so I wanted to log my nongluten grains from 2 days ago. I have to admit, I was really excited to add these back. 

breakfast: plain oatmeal with a bit of almond butter, matcha latte with oat milk

lunch: Italian wedding style soup leftovers

snack: plain popcorn with franks red hot

dinner: sushi (tuna roll, alaska roll with salmon avo & cucumbers) salad with ginger and lemon

I haven’t noticed any major changes when I reintro’d these foods. I got hungry quickly after breakfast because I didn’t get any veggies or protein so I ate lunch early and had to have a snack before dinner. I also learned I need to stay away from popcorn, it was so hard to pump the breaks once I had started eating it! 

Now I’m going back to whole30 until I do a legumes reintro, I think I’ll do it either tomorrow or the next day as I don’t have much to recover from with the grains reintro. I’m finding these days on whole30 harder than the actual 30 days because it’s so easy to say “ok its over!” and want to splurge. But I know I would regret it so here I am eating eggs and veggies for breakfast. 

I’ve been using my intro tonoractice flexing my food freedom is it worth it muscles.  Instead of saying I can’t have that I ask my self do you want it, does it line up with your immediate goal, your long term goals... so far the goals have out weighed the inner two year old who wants all the things.

@BabyBear I’m impressed, I’m really struggling with making responsible, “is it worth it?” choices. Thinking about starting another Whole30/Whole15 shortly as I need some more practice in the self-control and food dependency areas. I was doing so well on the program but I guess I put too much pressure on Day 30 as being the end.

I messed up yesterday :wacko: I let myself pick at all the superbowl fried foods, wings, french fries, onion rings etc. Oh my goodness do I regret that!!! I don’t know if it’s a coincidence (my family did have a bug earlier this week) but I immediately felt like complete crap. I felt like I needed to throw up all night long, didn’t sleep for more than an hour straight because of the pain & the overheating and topped it all off with throwing up this morning. If this is all from eating junk food it is SO not worth it. Like I said in my last reply, I’m thinking about starting again with a Whole30 or Whole15 to really figure out my relationship with these foods and get myself back on track for a proper reintro. I don’t know why it was so hard for me to say no to everything, but I think after this experience it will definitely get a little easier.

@lizziehall oh no that’s awful that you got so sick.  It may have been the food? It may have been a bug? Or it may have been how terrible the 49ers played?  :huh:

i do hope you get feeling better.  Have you read Food Freedom book?  It has helped me immensely.  The thought of Food freedom was terrifying but I’m beginning to find my bearings and I am really beginning to believe I can do this.  The book has helped with a lot of my anxiety around food choices.

I reintroduced legumes yesterday by adding beans to my breakfast and having hummus with carrots as a snack. I also had miso (soy) soup with my dinner as a side. My gut reacted HORRIBLY which really shocked me! I always thought of legumes as being heathy and lived off hummus before this Whole30 but jeez... that gas was not healthy. I’ve decided not to reintroduce dairy or gluten at all as I know how awful they make me feel and I’m not interested in any more unhealthy belly days. That being said, I think my overall diet from here will be Whole30 but including nongluten grains, and alcohol one or two nights a week. I’m excited to have rice/oats back in my diet! I’ll allow myself exceptions eventually but I want to read Melissa’s Food Freedom book first. I’ll continue to log any struggles or successes but in an effort to make this more of a lifestyle than a Whole30 I’ll chill on my updates. Good luck to everyone, and again thank you to everyone who reached out and made this a great whole30!

Just thought I’d post a little update to keep myself accountable. I’ve been doing really well since my one day of “eat whatever you want you’re done!!” at the superbowl. I’ve definitely had a few little things that aren’t within my new diet “rules” (soy sauce, added sugars in restaurant food, a stray fry or two at work) but nothing that has derailed me or made me feel guilty. Finding this balance is a huge step for me and I’m so happy to be comfortable with my choices. I’ve noticed that although I’m allowing non-gluten grains in my diet, I haven’t been reaching for them very much. I’ve had sushi and I added rice to one of my dinners this week, but overall I’m not going crazy with them. This makes me feel really good about my relationship with them, I was worried I would depend on them as a comfort food. 

One huge thing I’ve realized is the reason I still find it easy to eat Whole30 is because I have been cooking way more. I find Whole30 recipes to be just as satisfying as “regular” recipes, and not too much more work. It’s just that the frequency of cooking has gone up, but I’m used to that now & even look forward to it. One of my favorite NSVs is that I’ve learned to cook and enjoy it! This week I made thai style coconut curry meatballs and they were so good. I look forward to making butternut squash soup and some asian style meatballs after I go shopping this afternoon. I’ll update again soon and include those recipes if they turn out as good as they look :) 

• 2 weeks later...

@BabyBear Everything is going really well! You’re right, school is in full swing right now which means reading Food Freedom Forever has moved down on my priorities list, but I’ve been doing well nonetheless. School has much more of a routine than break, which I find very helpful. I’ll meal prep once a week and just figure out a few meals as I go. I haven’t tried anything new this week so I’ll have to do that soon. It’s difficult to wrap these past weeks up succinctly so I’ll share my highlight and lowlight like I did as a kid at the dinner table :D

Highlight: I’ve gotten into a more consistent gym routine and getting a lot more work in before getting tired/going home. I ran 2.5 miles recently which I haven’t done since high school sports! I’ve also wandered into the lifting area which I never would have done before, but now I’m much more confident about my health journey and the idea of beginning somewhere. 

Lowlight: (I’d call it a bigger challenge rather than low, though) I’ve been navigating starting a new relationship throughout the past month and it is so tough!! Most dates center around food and drinks so I had to get creative at first. It took me a few weeks to even tell him about my diet/lifestyle but he was really open to it! He’s doing Keto so I think he understands how much diet affects how I feel. We’re spending Saturday cooking together, which I think will be so fun! Still, though, I feel “difficult” pretty often.

I’ve been following along your Food Freedom Log and your ability to make level headed decisions is admirable. You’ve made incredible progress AND you’re teaching your children that they can enjoy healthy options. I wish I knew that earlier! Keep doing great, and thanks again for checking in!

I’ve decided to do another Whole18 (for the very shallow reason that I’m going to Miami for spring break and want to look & feel my best). I’m thinking it shouldn’t be too bad as I’ve maintained ~80% compliant over my last 30 days of food freedom. I’ve got my grocery list all made up for tomorrow and a plan for some meal prep success. I’ll be focusing on getting enough veggies and limiting fruits this round as my sugar cravings have been coming back recently. 

Here’s my meal preps to get me through Wednesday:

Sticky asian sauce on sauteed chicken, the recipe for the sauce is above & I can’t get enough of it

Sweet potato hash with bacon and onions that I LOVE, this time with spinach

Deconstructed stuffed peppers (this is a new recipe I’m excited for from Mary’s Whole Life) 

I’ll also pick up applegate hot dogs and already have some cauliflower gnocchi, kale, eggs, chicken burgers and chicken sausage. Veggies for these meals will be peppers, cauliflower rice, sauteed spinach and sauteed kale. Please let me know if you have any easy veggies that you love as sides, or even main courses! Also, if anyone has any great Whole30 bloggers please drop their names or links, I love Mary’s Whole Life, JustJessieB and Ambitious Kitchen but could always use more!

Miami :wub: oh does that sound so warm and wonderful lol.  It snowed here today.

tastesolovely on Instagram has some great recipes as well as 40aprons.com and nomnompaleo.com  I really enjoy the whole30recipe instagram account as they feature a different whole 30 coach or blogger each week which means a lot of variety in menu items and styles.  

I went grocery shopping and meal prepped today, I’m really excited about the meals I made! The deconstructed stuffed peppers are SO good, I never liked cauliflower rice but it is delicious in this. I substituted chicken for beef and added a lot of red pepper flakes to give it some extra flavor. I love the sweet potato hash as well but I aways think there should be more sweet potato. Next time I’ll use two sweet potatoes instead of one. 

@BabyBear thanks for the suggestions, I’ll give them a follow! 

Archived