I constantly feel like throwing up

Nadia B

Hi all,

This is my first Whole 30, day 7. I am very upset with the way I feel, so I hope someone will give me advice on how to handle it. I apologize for the repetition if this topic was brought up earlier by other members. My main concerns are:

- I started to feel nausea after the meals. I feel like I am about to throw up. Sometimes it starts from the very morning, which is very upsetting as I love my long early breakfasts. But when it really gets bad is after after lunch. The feeling won't go away, some herbal tea will make it slightly better, but not really. I try to take a walk for 30-40 minutes after to get fresh air, again not helping too much. The quality of food is out of question as I buy meat at the local organic farmer's shop, chose wild caught fish and wash/cook everything thoroughly.

- I feel crazy thirsty after my meals (I almost don't use salt when I cook). I can easily drink 3-4 liters of water a day and still have thirst.

It's 4:29 pm, I had my lunch at 12 pm, still feeling bad and can't even think about eating a dinner. Below is my food log for today as an example.

Breakfast – coffee with coconut milk, sweet potato (1/2) and carrot (1 small) hash, 1 egg, breakfast sausage and some cherry tomatoes.

Lunch – spinach, cucumber, avocado, tomatoes, bell pepper salad with 1 tbs homemade mayo, chicken meatballs with tomato sauce, roasted Brussels sprouts. 3 Brazil nuts.

Dinner (was planned) – tuna steak with baked onions, zucchini noodles in green curry/coconut cream and a salad (greens, balsamic dressing).

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Do you have any health issues that could be contributing to this? And what did your diet look like before the W30? If you upped your protein and fat intake dramatically, or have any health conditions that limit the digestion of those two macros...some gut support by way of digestive enzymes and/or probiotics may help get you over the hump.

If not, your hormone signalling may still need time to adjust? or you could just simply be coming down with a cold.

This has happened to me, but not at the beginning of a whole30...I think I really was just getting sick. I'd try the enzymes, and just try to follow what your body's telling you. Stick with the meal templating guidelines, but go on the light side of the recommendations. If you really can't stomach food, have some broth?

Thanks Renee!

I am pretty healthy, according to the recent examination.

My eating background is 1) skinny parents with magic metabolism + dessert is a must 2) moving to North America, steady weight gain ( in my home country food is very different, I've never met a lactose intolerant or gluten sensitive people until I moved here. Label organic didn't say much to me. Dairy is a must, even if I couldn't find raw milk/etc) 3) Freaking out about the weight gain = 1 year of low fat and SWYPOs. I used to eat lots of fish/seafood/poultry, veggies, eggs, dairy (like LOTS) and limited grains (a slice of whole wheat bread, quinoa, buckwheat, oat bran etc), occasional beans in the dish. If I was going off track it would be epic case of binging (like 6 cupcakes in a row) followed by self disgust. Needless to say that I am a calorie counter/scale addict (i don't need a programm to count them, it's a reflex. By the end of the day I can tell the estimate of my daily intake and will be out at 200 ccal tops).

As a second thought - could this be purely mental? I am very determined to sort my issues out. I was actually happy to bring some of the food like avocados and beef back to my diet. Coconut is new, but I love it (but still using cautiosly). I guess I just have to wait...

I have an experiment to suggest. Try going with a lighter protein and no starchies at breakfast. Maybe hard-boiled eggs on a salad with greens and maybe a citrus fruit? Sometimes a heavy breakfast just doesn't sit well with me. It usually means a bigger lunch, but if it beats the nausea...

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your advice. I will try a lighter breakfast tomorrow for sure.

I eliminated coconut and coffee for today + grabbed a pack of enzymes. Whatever it takes indeed, as the stupid thing has no intention to go away :(

I battle nausea daily as a result of medications so I feel you :(

Eggs will trigger it for sure. Nuts are no good if I am.

Try nibbling on fruit (apple slices, berries--just portion them out first!), drinking teas, including ginger where you can.

Take it easy on yourself--this is a huge body change--if you fudge the fruit rule for a week you fudge the fruit rule for a week. If you're miserable you're missing half the point of the challenge.

You may need to do a bit of easy transition before a strict Whole30... slowly eliminate each piece so it's not such a rough transition for your body.

Your blood sugar is probably also having a royal tantrum (= nausea). Tidbit of something sweet with some fat/protein will help--this morning when breakfast didn't do the trick for mine I had a small handful of blackberries and some almonds.

Morning everyone!

First of all thanks for your advice and support.

I was prepared for the mental battle – eating fat, dealing with my parents (she is doing a new diet again and refuses to eat mom's carrot cake, what is wrong with her?), dealing with colleagues (take a piece of chocolate, only one, this won't hurt you are slim anyways or oh I forgot you are special and don't eat normal food), I promised myself not to step on my scales/examine every inch of my body/weight food. But I'd never expected that such a physical discomfort will wreck it for me – I can't train, can't do my ballet classes and focus on my goals. However, I know that patience and consistency do wonders

But for this amazing community, I would give up on day 3 and do what my brain says – “go back to your low-fat-calorie count-lettuce for lunch world, it's so comfortable there. You've lost weight living like that, you didn't gain it back, see?†But reading forum topics and blog reminds me about my “heal and be happy†mission.

@Robin,

I've tried lighter breakfast (two eggs + bunch of greens + slice of avocado + two strawberries). Minus – I was still sort of hungry (nausea and hunger make a brilliant couple haha), plus feeling of restriction and low-fat was very comforting (hello monsters of the past). Plus – the nausea attack didn't go away, but was seriously delayed, it hit 3 hours after vs 1. My biggest concern is lunch, because this is the major disaster. I am keeping it super light again.

@monkeymittensmom

I can't imagine that you have to deal with his thing all the time, brave girl! Nuts are out and definitely making some ginger tea (yummm).

What really surprises me in this situation – it wasn't such a radical change in nutrition I ate pretty clean (not saying healthy, low fat + slips once in a while). I didn't consume a whole lot of grains, eat processed food. My fruits were always limited to 1-2 a day, no added sugars. I don't drink. So the only real changes were eliminating dairy and increasing fat intake.

That was one long long post J

When I first went paleo I found that when I would eat chicken breasts or nuts that I would have severe stomach cramps. My husband told me to drink more water (he is no expert), and I did, and it helped. But now I just avoid chicken breasts... It seems to only be the breast part of the chicken that bothers me. I know you are eating really high quality food, but I think that one of the reasons chicken was bothering me was because they are some of the most messed with animals out there. It's hard to find good quality chicken meat in New Zealand, and a lot of Kiwis just avoid it (health conscious ones). Fortunately our beef and lamb is grassfed by default.

The nuts cause problems on and off for me. I have a problem with eating too many of those, so I'm trying to stay away from nuts on my Whole30.

I still have some other issues that cause nausea which I have yet to figure out. I think that the best method is to experiement and see what works for you. Here's my latest post, which may or may not be relevant: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5926-allergic-or-just-my-body-freaking-out-from-the-diet-changes

Hi Nicole,

Sorry to hear that you had troubles too. Ironically enough I had salmon yesterday for lunch. It was absolutely horrible after. However I was stupid enough to go to the training. When the coach said "burpees", I knew I am in trouble :)))

Robin, lighter breakfast does help, hooray. But I still don't know what to eat for lunch. Pretty much anything that I add to my veggies sends me to a Nausealand.

Robin, lighter breakfast does help, hooray. But I still don't know what to eat for lunch. Pretty much anything that I add to my veggies sends me to a Nausealand.

I know you mentioned salmon being uncomfortable for you, so perhaps it's the fat? If that's the case, your enzymes will likely make a big difference. Have you tried cold chicken breast in your veggie salad? You don't have any known gallbladder or digestive issues, right?

I would think so, but I'm a big fish eater. I could easily eat couple of fat salmon steaks back in days. Maybe it's just all the fats combined give me this effect.

Today I am having salad with turkey breast, you are reading my thoughts! I have been eating enzymes for 3 days now, it makes a difference but doesn't beat it.

I don't have digestive issues, but it goes in the family. Probably I should make an appointment and go see the doctor, just to be absolutely sure.

Robin, can't thank you enough for your help.

I'm having the same issue. After some meals I feel all sick. I felt sick on my walk to work this morning, which is really unusual.

I think my problem is @Nicole's suggestion of chicken. I normally don't eat a whole lot of chicken but that's been my main source of protein since it's so easy to prepare (AND I had chicken for b'fast; it the end-of-the-week-empty-fridge kind of day!). I also thought maybe I'm doing more fat than I'm used to and not balancing it with enough protein. Plus I eat nuts for extra fat at lunch so maybe eliminating those and replacing them with an avocado or something will work better. Probiotics might not hurt, either.

Anyway, here's what I'm doing to try to fix this if that's at all helpful. I've been queasy since Day 4 (on Day 7 now) so maybe we'll dial this thing in and reach Tiger Blood Status soon!

Ouch, join the club. Here are my findings and basics of nauseaology.

- my body reacts to unknown fat = limit coconut milk

- bye-bye nuts and especially nut butters

- if your protein source is somewhat on a fattier side (lamb, salmon) - eat it first, no joke.

- eat juicy raw veggies with your meal (cucumbers you save my life), somehow cooked ones don't help much

- walk after meal for a bit

And last one, i know we are not supposed to track food, but I counted an estimate fat intake daily and figured out amount my body agrees to digest for now. It's waaaay higher than my low-fat crazy days, but still on the lighter side of a template.

Share the n-fighting techniques if you have one :)

I always get nauseous when I start monitoring my diet more closely..... but for me its not mental, its detoxing! I also was a relatively clean eater with some sugar and starch (no gluten or legumes) binges and occasional tries at dairy and variable coffee, tea, cocoa levels etc. I realise I am just supersensitive to all this stuff, including fodmaps in healthy fruit and vegies... so anytime I apply a more rigorous change or a rebalance I get nausea for 3-7 days (I also have gall bladder issues so some fats/amounts also bring it on). Definitely get medical advice but if that is inconclusive perhaps ride it out and see if it goes away as your liver cleans up and you are past any withdrawal/toxicity symptoms. Digestive enzymes have also been suggested as a short term aid.....

Thanks for the post, Juzbo! I feel like this detoxing is waaay too long. It's my day 14 and I don't see it getting better :( I feel better only when my meals are getting super close to what I used to eat before, back in my low-fat-undereating days.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been getting nauseous after meals, too - I'm on my third Whole30. I think it's from sluggish bile production (bile is critical in breaking down most fats). I've tried just about everything posted here - but the one thing that has worked like a charm, a swig of slightly diluted apple cider vinegar whenever I experience any symptoms.

This is interesting. I suffer from acid reflux, and while most of the time it is under control, once in awhile I get a flare-up. I can only take my meds once a day so when I have an episode, I feel miserable for part of the day. I wonder if apple cider vinegar would help with that.

I've been getting nauseous after meals, too - I'm on my third Whole30. I think it's from sluggish bile production (bile is critical in breaking down most fats). I've tried just about everything posted here - but the one thing that has worked like a charm, a swig of slightly diluted apple cider vinegar whenever I experience any symptoms.

Two things come to mind when I read these entries, and would be worth checking out just to make sure.

1) could you be pregnant?

2) extreme thirst is one symptom of many for both diabetes and thyroid issues

A quick trip to the clinic to rule those out while you're sorting through trigger foods might not be a bad idea, just to confirm that they aren't an issue.

Ginger (as in, fresh ginger) is good at helping with nausea. Maybe you could make a ginger tea? It's rather delicious, too, if a little spicy, so a squeeze of lemon might make it a little more palatable.

I second the question above about pregnancy. Is there any chance? Might want to check it out just in case.

I have never done digestive enzymes, but have had AMAZING luck with a good daily probiotic helping my digestion!

Avocados were a trigger for stomachaches and nausea for me, so as soon as I cut those out of my diet, I haven't had an episode since!

• 4 weeks later...

Ginger (as in, fresh ginger) is good at helping with nausea. Maybe you could make a ginger tea? It's rather delicious, too, if a little spicy, so a squeeze of lemon might make it a little more palatable.

I second the question above about pregnancy. Is there any chance? Might want to check it out just in case.

I have never done digestive enzymes, but have had AMAZING luck with a good daily probiotic helping my digestion!

Avocados were a trigger for stomachaches and nausea for me, so as soon as I cut those out of my diet, I haven't had an episode since!

I totally forgot about this thread as I gave up and sort of got used to live with this damned thing. Yes, month after Whole 30 and being 80% compliant I still have it. I take enzymes and probiotics. Yes, ginger and lime water in the morning has been my ritual for years.

Not pregnant :) No diabetes and thyroid issues.

I've been playing around with food to figure it out. I've learned that I have to eat less in general in order to keep it under control. I've also learned that my body just can't take that much fat, so I am trying (trying is the key word ahah) to be on the lower side with it. Avocado is a trigger as well.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

Hey Nadia, have you ever tried ditching eggs for a bit? Personally, I cannot imagine life without eggs, but it's something worth trying.

No, for the exact same reason. Reading "no eggs breakfast" threads makes me depressed :)))) I will have to try it eventually I'm afraid.

Archived