Egg allergy

CrystalSanderson

Hi all!

We are prepping to start our very first Whole 30 as a family, but I'm struggling with breakfasts for my 4 year old. She is allergic to eggs, fish & shellfish and as much as she loves fruit and veg I worry that she'll get really bored of those every morning. Any ideas on how to help her get protein in the mornings?

• Moderators

Can she eat chicken, beef, pork, or turkey? You could make breakfast sausage out of ground meat, there are quite a few recipes out there (I personally don't like fennel, which is an ingredient in a lot of sausage recipes -- it's a fairly strong licorice type flavor, so if that's a flavor she might not like, you can leave it out of recipes or find ones that don't include it). You could include this or diced grilled or baked chicken or seasoned ground beef in a breakfast hash with sweet potatoes, broccoli, and pretty much any vegetables you all like.

Hi Shannon! Yes, she absolutely can! I love the idea of a breakfast hash. She's not big on potatoes,  so fingers crossed preparing them this way might make her change her mind! Have you found that re-heating it the next day makes it soggy? I don't have time to cook in the mornings so I would need to make it the night before.

• Moderators

It should reheat pretty well in the microwave, even better if you can put it in a skillet to reheat, it shouldn't take too long if it's already cooked.

You don't have to use potatoes. Sweet potatoes, beets, turnips, winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash, broccoli or cauliflower, carrots, parsnips -- a combo of any of these should be good. You could even roast the vegetables on separate baking sheets, then combine whatever you're in the mood for the next day when you reheat.

Archived