Lindy's Whole30 Log

lindyj

Jan. 7.

Day1! I've never been on any sort of meal plan where what I ate was restricted, so this is going to be a new experience for me. I'm excited to experience how my body really reacts to the foods I've been eating for so long.

Didn't sleep very well last night, as my mind was racing on recipe overload. Too many options!! Spinach/meat muffin from Wellfed for breakfast this morning and a big salad with chicken, olives, homemade avocado dressing and lots of veggies for lunch. Hopefully I got enough fat/protein to get me though the afternoon. I have a backup hard-boiled egg in my desk if I miscalculated.

I'm terrified of the fist time I have to go to a restaurant!

I have a great friends doing this with me, and my crossfit gym coincidentally is doing a paleo challenge starting today. I'm excited to have so many people cheering me on!

Thank you for the support!

Day 2 wasn't so bad once I was awake. I woke up from a crazy dream about unthinkingly grabbing a sugar cookie from a plate and starting to chew on it. In my dream I realized what I was doing and spit it out all over the floor before running to wash my mouth out. In my dream I was much farther along Whole30 than 2 days and I didn't want to start over for a sugar cookie I didn't even like. Kind of creepy.

Physically I feel pretty good. I expected a hangover like headache, but only got a slightly foggy head. We'll see how my early morning workout feels. Still working on what I need to feed myself prior to a workout when I get up ~30 minutes before having to start. Monday it was a pear and a few almonds.

Day 2 wasn't so bad once I was awake. I woke up from a crazy dream about unthinkingly grabbing a sugar cookie from a plate and starting to chew on it. In my dream I realized what I was doing and spit it out all over the floor before running to wash my mouth out. In my dream I was much farther along Whole30 than 2 days and I didn't want to start over for a sugar cookie I didn't even like. Kind of creepy.

Haha, I keep having thoughts such as, "What if I accidentally ate a brownie? What if I saw a brownie on the table and automatically picked it up and ate it without realizing what I was doing? Would that count? Since I didn't realize I was eating it? Would I really have to start over??" Must be the sugar dragon.

I just finished Day 2 too! Good luck with yours!

Day 3 didn't start out so well. I got up for my usual early morning crossfit class. I ate some coconut water and a few almonds on my way to the gym. Bad idea. I was light headed throughout the workout and even had to stop halfway through and rest for a few reps before going again. That NEVER happens to me!! My coach suggested I make sure I'm getting enough fat and calories in. I obviously didn't fuel myself properly.

As a bonus, everything got better from there. I'm tired, but that's about it. I swim tomorrow morning, so let's hope my new strategy of sweet potato with some blueberries and coconut milk keep me from getting light headed in the pool!

Turns out the weekend takes a little more effort. The lack of structure in my schedule today really threw me for a loop. I didn't eat a big enough breakfast and ended up with a headache. I knew this before, but it's even more apparent now. I need a decent breakfast or everything else is just catch up.

Today I may have been at the 'Hate all Things Stage'. I wasn't really craving anything off plan, but my brain was just generally pissed that I couldn't have stuff that was off plan. I talked myself down and even made it though my first experience in a restaurant! Flank steak on a roasted beat salad with olive oil and vinegar on the side.

Day 8 and things are going great! Today started with a 6 a.m. workout and temps of -11F (luckily I was in the gym, not outside). Felt great at the workout and ate good food all day long. I think this means my energy levels and mood are really looking up? Might also just be pride and sticking to this thing.

touching base... hope all is going well.

All is going well, thanks for touching base!! Day 12 and I think I'm getting into the swing of things. Last weekend was terrifying (lack of structure, schedule), but I'm not nearly as scared this weekend. I have a plan! Also feeling great!

Day 15!!! This weekend was a breeze compared to my first one. Though I probably grazed on sweet potato chews a little too often. Went out to see a band and sipped on club soda and a lime. Bars are not nearly as interesting when sober, so I only made it a little past midnight. Great success to manage to be around a lot of temptations and not let it bother me.

I don't actually crave anything off plan, but I have at fleeting thoughts of items I miss. I need to start thinking about my post Whole30 game plan so I don't fall into the same habits I had pre-Whole30.

Day 19! The last week or so has gone by so fast! I'm not as stressed about what I can't eat, so it's allowed me to focus more on fine-tuning what I am eating. I'm trying to listen to my body on how much to eat. It's a work in progress. Sometimes I feel over-full after a meal, sometimes I know about 20 minutes later that I didn't eat enough.

I have a dinner tonight at an Asian restaurant. I panicked when I saw the menu (it's a high-end local restaurant), it was full of everything I can't eat. Luckily this is a small town and when I mentioned my panic to a friend at the gym, she said she worked with the chef's wife and she'd ask if there was anything paleo. Turns out the chef loves to try new things and told her to tell me to just explain what I can/can't have to the waitress and he'd whip up a meat/veggie stirfry for me without the sugar/wheat/soy sauces. Score!

Day 20. Made it through the restaurant! They were amazing and really willing to make something for me.

Didn't end up eating lunch today since I spent most of the morning and early afternoon cross country skiing. Brought jerky,SP chews, and had an orange from the table of homemade brownies (pretty proud of myself for that one). Even a little hungry by the end (2 p.m.), I still had plenty of energy for the entire time. I think that means this thing may be working even when I'm an idiot enough to forget a meal. . :)

It's going well. I don't know if I feel 'magic' yet, but I'm feeling most of the positive benefits. I feel great in general, and I'm starting to notice that my recovery from workouts is faster. Also, I love the more stable energy levels and positive attitude. I still need to work on getting better sleep. I manage 7-8 hours, but I'm waking up 1-2 times during the night, which I'm not excited about. Some of my problem is a bored dog, so my new plan is to tire her out as much as possible in the evenings so she leaves me alone at night:).

I'm fighting my need to have more sweets in the morning. The first couple of weeks wasn't a problem, but lately I've been craving fruit in the morning. While that's not bad, I know that's a habit I would very quickly fall back on, missing out on all the veggies I need.

So I guess I'm just trucking along right now.

Archived