In-person support groups?

Oma

Hi, Whole30’ers! My husband and I are about to start our 3rd W30 reset. I wonder whether anyone has successfully created an in-person support group. I find it somewhat difficult to find people who are like-minded about food/eating in our rural, agricultural area, but figure there might be some around. I don’t do much on Facebook (and prefer not to). Don’t want to just “reach out” to local people if it’s not acceptable. Anyone have experience with this and care to share how it worked?

Because Whole30 tends to be short-term, by virtue of how the program is intended to work, it's less likely to find an in-person support group unless a group of people decide to do it together. That said, I'd think it was awesome if a group who started together also did a weekly meeting or something, to get in-person support (and maybe even share a compliant meal or brunch). If such a group did start and support that way, I would imagine it'd be a bit easier to continue eating mostly compliant post-round, too.

I'm not a mod, but I wouldn't think there'd be anything against reaching out to see if there are like-minded folk nearby. If you know of any local group focusing on whole foods, or paleo, or anything else that's "close" but still allows things Whole30 doesn't, that would be an ideal place to see if anyone there might be interested in doing a Whole30 challenge together. A workplace challenge could work as well, depending on the type of workplace and mindset of the people there.

An option I did do one round was a text group for private support. I set up a group text using GroupMe, then messaged several ladies who started the same day as me and had expressed interest in having a support group outside of that intro post on the forum. I think we had 5 of us, all looking in at least once a day. We shared thoughts, feelings, reactions, struggles, food pics, etc. It was actually really nice, and we kept in touch for about a month after our round, before the chat just kind of went silent. There are a ton of free text and group chat options available for something like that :) 

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Oma said:

Hi, Whole30’ers! My husband and I are about to start our 3rd W30 reset. I wonder whether anyone has successfully created an in-person support group. I find it somewhat difficult to find people who are like-minded about food/eating in our rural, agricultural area, but figure there might be some around. I don’t do much on Facebook (and prefer not to). Don’t want to just “reach out” to local people if it’s not acceptable. Anyone have experience with this and care to share how it worked?

You might want to find a coach - some of them run online groups or in person groups.........and not all of them use FB to do it. You can review our coaches here:

https://coach.whole30.com/coaches/

Archived