Ælfric’s W30 №2 (Jan 2020)

Aelfric

@BabyBear" Thank you.

Sunday 9th February (Day 4, A Day of the Green)

M1: Apples (tinned)

M2: Salmon salad

M3: Turkey salad, desert of mixed berries.

Snacks: cashews, macadamias, pepitas & sunflower seeds.

Exercise: Kayaking at Nudgee Beach

Rather pleased with today. Went to A Day on the Green to see Magic Dirt (meh), Birds of Tokyo (good), and Cold Chisel (brilliant). Fortunately the event allows BYO food and bottled water and supplies drinking water. Cooked some salmon and some turkey and made a big tub of salad, and put together a few "snack packs" of nuts and seeds and a tub of mixed frozen berries. Took a bottle of soda water, which I then diluted with plain water once on site. Snuck in some lemon and lime juice mix with a little salt added (labelled as salad dressing) to add to the water for flavour and to replace lost body salt). Two meals of W30 food sorted.

Monday 10th February (Day 5)

M1: Semi-Scrambled Eggs. Dumped a little water in the pan and the eggs and used the spatula to mix them, so not a fluffy as real scrambled eggs.

M2: Peaches (tinned).

M3: Chicken and turkey meatballs in a tomato, inion, and olive gravy. Using a blend of the two minces seems to make a slightly lighter texture than turkey along, which partly makes up for the almond meal making a heavier texture than bread crumbs. At least two more meals in the fridge.

M4: Banana berry smoothie. After resolutely refusing to ripen for the past several days, all the bananas decided to ripen today, so several got peeled, chunked, bagged, and tossed in the freezer.

Snack: Nut and seed mix (left over from yesterday).

Ex: Nil. Really wanted to go cycling, but the weather was not conducive. I got drenched at the concert yesterday and didn't feel like a repeat. I know we desperately need the rain, but it's becoming a little tedious.

And I couldn't psych myself up to lift weights.

Tuesday 11th February (Day 6)

M1: Turkey and chicken meatballs with olives and tahini. Felt queasy when I got up, and didn’t eat until early afternoon.

M2: Banana berry smoothie.

M3: Banana shake.

M4: A snack sized serving of meatballs.

Ex: None. This was planned.

Wednesday 12th Feb (Day 7)

M1: Meatballs

M2: Scrambled Eggs

M3: Banana Berry Smoothie. I think my kitchen scales are borked, as I had half servings of the berries left in the packets (I weigh out the berries as otherwise I tend to be heavy handed, which turns the smoothie into a slushie).

Ex: Nil. Another bad day with depression. I think my mood is being affected by the weather as we're having an unusually long wet spell this summer.

I've just had a sequence of really bad days with the depression. These are at the level of "I'm not crawling out of the cave today" days.

I know I've kept to the letter, if not the spirit, of W30, because the stash of non-compliant food at the back of the cupboard hasn't been touched, but most of the meals I couldn't tell you what I ate, and I suspect a lot of them involved smoothies.

Thursday 13th Feb (Day 8)

M1: Stuffed mushrooms

M2 (&4?): ?

M3: The last of the meatballs

Ex: nil

Friday 14th February (Day 9)

M1: Scrambled eggs

M2 & M3 (&4?): ?

Ex: Colonial (regency) dancing

Saturday 15th February (Day 10)

M1–3 (or 4): ?

Ex: Half a weights session

Sunday 16th February (Day 11)

M1: Grilled turkey with blueberries

M2: Apricots (tinned)

M3: Banana berry smoothie

Ex: Did a lot of walking (went to a camping & caravan exhibition.

Monday 17th February (Day 12).

Got lots of vitamin S yesterday wandering round the camping exhibition, to the point of being slightly singed. Not actually sunburnt, but too much longer and I’d have been a very sore and sorry boy. After weeks of rain, it has been so nice to see the sun (I think that’s what the strange yellowy orange object in the sky is called—it’s been a while). I think, despite it being summer, that I had SAD overlaying the depression. Anyway, yesterday’s mood was better than the previous week’s, and today’s was positively buoyant.

M1: Turkey omelette.

M2: Pineapple (tinned).

M3: Grilled turkey “breaded” with almond meal, with sauerkraut, olives, capers, and tahini dressing. Don’t think I’ll bother with the coating next time.

M4: Banana cherry berry smoothie.

Ex: nil. I stayed logged on to work to try and catch up on some of the backlog after missing three days last week.

Late night snack: Olives, capers, and sauerkraut. I’m craving something—it may be salt lost through sweat yesterday (I drank plenty of water, but didn’t have any salt in the water).

Tuesday 18th February (Day 13).

M1: Apricots (tinned). Woke up 25 minutes before I was due to start work, so cooked breakfast bit the dust. That’s one of the reasons I would normally have muesli when not W30ing.

M2: Grilled turkey and salad with olives, capers, tahini and sauerkraut, with balsamic vinegar and tahini dressing. Not “breading” the turkey was much better.

M3: Salmon scrambled eggs.

M4: Banana cherry berry smoothie.

Ex: nil. Guitar lesson tonight, so no time.

Wednesday 19th February (Day 13)

Thursday 20th February (Day 14)

Friday 21st February (Day 15)

Saturday 22nd February (Day 16)

Sunday 23rd February (Day 17)

Monday 24th February (Day 18)

Tuesday 25th February (Day 19)

Really don't recall what I ate, but I know that a lot of W30 compliant ingredients were eaten, and no non-W30 stuff has been taken from the stash. I've been hit by a downward mood slump every evening, which is not my normal pattern, but it means both ends of the day have been pretty grey in my head.

Wednesday 26th February (Day 20)

M1: smashed eggs

M2: Pineapple (tinned)

M3: Chicken and cauliflower curry. I think I've been eating this on a daily basis since I made it the middle of last week.

M4: Banana berry smoothie

M5: Salmon (tinned)

Ex: Scottish Country Dancing.

Thanks Baby Bear.

I seem to be OK during the day, but during the evenings I just run down and don't have the motivation to actually log what I'm eating.

Anyway:

Thursday 27th Feb (Day 21)

Friday 28th Feb (Day 22)

Leap Day (Day 23)

Sunday 1st March (Day 24)

Monday 2nd March (Day 25)

Tuesday 3rd March (Day 26)

Wednesday 4th March (Day 27)

All compliant.

I'm really looking forward to having muesli for breakfast on Sunday. No, scratch that, it's more I'm getting sick of eggs for breakfast.

Thursday 5th March (Day 28)

M1: Scambled Eggs

M2: & M3: Turkey Bolognaise sauce with "hidden" vegetables (hidden as in grated into the sauce like mum did to get us to eat vegatables, not hidden as in 2kg of vegetables + 1kg of tomatoes to 1kg of mince). M3 had capers and hummus added. Note to self: since you own a food processor, you really didn't need to grate all those veggies by hand. Duh!

M4: Banana berry smoothie.

Friday 6th March (Day 29)

A trainwreck of a day with the depression.

Saturday 7th March (Day 30)

Another trainwreck.

Finished.

Measured on Sunday morning: Body weight 83 kg. So 5 kg (11 lbs) lost in 4 weeks.

@Aelfric depression is so hard and can be all consuming at times.  The fact that you were able to stick to a whole 30 and complete it in the midst of facing so many dark days is amazing in my books.  I applaud you and your success over the past 30 days.  

Will you be doing a reintro?

Archived