not sleeping

annierl

Hello, I am new to Whole30 and am on day 5.  So far so good with respect to food.  The odd thing is that since I have started I am having a really hard time going to sleep and staying asleep.  I'm only sleeping a few hours a night.  I did not have this problem before Whole30.  Melatonin is not helping.  I'm assuming it's a part of the detox process.  I used to drink red wine at night.  I know I just need to be patient.  Is the poor sleep quality a part of detoxing?  How long before you should expect your sleep quality to improve?  I realize this will vary from person to person.  I know once I get to other side my sleep will be better than ever.  I'm just surprised by this side effect.  Thanks for your advice!

• Moderators

It can be for some people. Are you eating enough? Getting enough carb-dense veggies? See the Meal Template in my links below, and if you could list what you have been eating for the past few days that could help us troubleshoot. 

How's your sleep hygiene? Are you turning off screens an hour before going to bed? Is your bedroom nice and dark and cool? These can all be factors in sleep quality.

Keep going, you can do this!

My sleep hygiene is terrible b/c my husband likes to go to sleep with the TV on.  But that is nothing new.  Before Whole 30 I could fall asleep fine with the tv on.   I feel good, other than being tired.  So far I'm not having crazy cravings or going through major sugar withdrawals.  The food is delicious.  

Monday (breakfast hash w/ veggies and egg over hash brown crust, southwest grilled grilled salad, flank steak w/ roasted mushrooms and brussell sprouts) Sunday (Chomp, Chicken Salad over spinach with avocado, flank steak w/ roasted mushrooms and brussell sprouts) Saturday (fried eggs over spinach and cauliflower rice, chicken salad over spinach, 2 pieces pineapple w/ brazil nut, Applegate hot dog with sautued peppers and onions) Friday (turkey sweet potato hash, chicken salad over spinach, pistachios, chicken stir fry over cauliflower rice)

• Administrators

Oh, naughty husband, no! No. 

There can be some sleep disruption at the beginning - as a super-star champion sleeper normally, I suffered for 14 days on my first Whole30 - but it eventually gets back to normal. 

Honestly I would try really really hard to get your husband to watch tv in another room before bed....it's really not good for either of you and new studies out about sleep quality over the long term are kind of scary! 

Since I've changed all of his food, I'll let him keep the tv for now.  Maybe in a couple of months I'll address the screen time at sleep issue.  One demon at a time.  I'm not going to quit for lack of sleep.  But it's good to know that others experience the poor sleep quality issues in the beginning and for you it last two weeks.  So I'll manage my expectations and pray my sleep will be back to normal in a couple of weeks.  Thanks!

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, annierl said:

Since I've changed all of his food, I'll let him keep the tv for now.  Maybe in a couple of months I'll address the screen time at sleep issue.  One demon at a time.  I'm not going to quit for lack of sleep.  But it's good to know that others experience the poor sleep quality issues in the beginning and for you it last two weeks.  So I'll manage my expectations and pray my sleep will be back to normal in a couple of weeks.  Thanks!

Maybe try ear plugs and an eyemask in the meantime? That'll give you the quiet dark space you need while your sleep resolves?

5 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

Maybe try ear plugs and an eyemask in the meantime? That'll give you the quiet dark space you need while your sleep resolves?

This. Right. Here.

My husband routinely stays up later than I do, and often heads to bed without turning off his PC monitor... not to mention having a phone in his hand for a good portion of his resting time, since he reads on it. I haven't had to pull out ear plugs yet (though they're definitely available in my house, just in case!), but an eye mask has been my saving grace on many nights when he just can't seem to get himself settled enough to sleep. I keep it within reach of the bed so I can grab it quickly if needed, after trying without it first.

I've also noticed that a nice calming cup of tea about 20 minutes before bedtime has done wonders for me, though it really doesn't do anything about the bright screens :D 

Last night I took an hour long epsom salt bath and listened to a book tape while my husband watched tv.  I put ear plugs in and folded a pillow case over my eyes when I got in bed to block the tv light and went straight to sleep.  The tv did wake me up eventually and I turned it off and slept great the rest of the night.  I ended up at work early this morning.  I guess there may be something to the effects of blue light.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all:

My husband and I are finishing up day 7.  I noticed the same issue of not staying asleep.  I have had this periodically in the last 6 months but it's been nearly every day for this first week and melatonin is not working.  I do fall asleep pretty easy but don't stay asleep.  It's frustrating.  

The funny thing is that I feel great! Ha!  We are eating very similarly to annierl.   I rarely get hungry unless I get stuck delaying a meal.  Every day it just gets better and better.  I mean we miss some things mentally but not physically. We have made some goofs like having banana chips today and then found they aren't allowed but the slip-ups are really quite small.  We are making fabulous meals . :)

I am worried thought that the lighter sleep may catch up with me.  For now - I am not tired so I will just go with it.  I added to this thread so that if others have comments - I can see them. 

Best of luck to all!

Karen

Archived