Difficulty preparing Meals

P.W.E.

I am interested in starting the program but have a condition which makes it difficult to do much cooking. For example to prepare even a simple dinner could take me three hours. With the aforementioned in mind would appreciate any suggestions that would help me through the Whole 30.

• Moderators

Pre-cut or frozen vegetables can help save time. There are some brands of whole30 compliant frozen meals -- a few brands are mentioned here: https://whole30.com/whole30-at-walmart/. This is for Walmart, but I think only the Great Value brand is a Walmart exclusive, you might Google other brands to see where they're available. There are also some companies that you can order meals from, plus dressings and sauces so you don't have to make all of those from scratch, listed on the Whole30 Approved page:  https://whole30.com/whole30-approved/.

You can also stick to really simple options. Scrambled eggs with a couple of handfuls of the pre-washed, bagged baby spinach. A can of tuna dumped over a bagged salad mix with mayo or dressing or avocado. If you get pre-cut vegetables, sheet pan meals may not be too bad to prepare, toss your vegetables with oil and seasonings, put them and seasoned meat on a baking sheet, and cook.

If you have a crockpot, it requires a little more planning, but you can start a meal early in the day so it'll be ready for dinner. 

For most people, it doesn't really take much longer to cook multiple servings at the same time, if you can do that, then you'll have leftovers to save time making another meal.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Pawan said:

I know some quick recipes of rice and veggies, Quick and easy to make:

1. Veg pulao

2. Mushroom fried rice

3. Quinoa upma

Being vegetarian I do not suggest meat. But these Indian pulav i find life saver. 

These would be fine if you subbed the non compliant ingredients such as rice with compliant ones such as cauli rice... I havne't looked at the recipes but you'd need to make sure all ingredients were compliant.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 12:19 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Pre-cut or frozen vegetables can help save time.

If you have a crockpot, it requires a little more planning, but you can start a meal early in the day so it'll be ready for dinner. 

For most people, it doesn't really take much longer to cook multiple servings at the same time, if you can do that, then you'll have leftovers to save time making another meal.

These are all excellent ideas, and they combine well.

Chicken thighs, pre skinned and boned only need to be be cut in half. Ideally you would brown the chicken in a frypan, but you can skip that if you're prepared to sacrifice some flavour to make the cooking easier. Dump them in the slow cooker with pre-cut vegetables (frozen veg tends to go a bit mushy in a slow cooker), add large tin of diced tomatoes as the base for the gravy/sauce, add a pile of dried herbs or some spices (you need to be fairly heavy handed with flavourings) when using a slow cooker), and let the cooker do it's magic on slow for about 6 to 8 hours.

If you don't have a slow cooker, buy a big one. You can always half fill a large one, but you can't overfill a small one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm also new here and don't know any fast recipes yet but I think there are some must-have kitchen gadgets that can save your time and especially nerves:D There are many of them that will make you life easier. For example, I bought good non-sticky pan that I can clean only with a towel and planning to buy a meat grinder (not sure about it yet), which I'm planning to use for vegetables also

On 2/25/2020 at 5:39 AM, Pawan said:

I know some quick recipes of rice and veggies, Quick and easy to make:

1. Veg pulao

2. Mushroom fried rice

3. Quinoa upma

Being vegetarian I do not suggest meat. But these Indian pulav i find life saver. 

Looks good and easy to cook. One more way is to use frozen veggie mix, heat it in a pan or wok for 5-10 min and add cooked rice. It may taste differ but also good

• Moderators
9 hours ago, AlexCaro said:

add cooked rice.

To reiterate what was mentioned above, you would need to substitute something like cauliflower rice instead of regular rice for Whole30, as rice is not allowed. Quinoa is also not allowed on whole30, but I'm not certain what a good substitute is that would give a similar texture.

10 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

To reiterate what was mentioned above, you would need to substitute something like cauliflower rice instead of regular rice for Whole30, as rice is not allowed. Quinoa is also not allowed on whole30, but I'm not certain what a good substitute is that would give a similar texture.

I recently subbed quinoa with cauli rice, but only cooked it part way - it was for Tabbouleh and it was really nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived