What are your favorite Veggie sides? I am struggling to expand beyond salad and sweet potatoes. Help!

jtota

CAK911, I also like broccoli with saucy meals. Those florets really pick up the sauce.

But several of you have mentioned roasted broccoli. I tried it once and it didn't turn out well. It's been a few months and I don't remember what the problem was or what my timing/temperature was.

The idea makes sense but I figured that broccoli just wasn't a good veg to roast. But it sounds like I'm wrong. Would you share time/temp or a link? (I've got a LOT of frozen broccoli right now so I won't be trying this right away. But thought I'd ask for the specifics since this thread is active right now.)

Thanks!

Terez

I love roasted leeks. If you've never had, they sort of look like giant green onions. Just chop off the ends, remove a few of the outer green layers and spread on a sheet. Drizzle with some coconut oil or olive oil, sprinkle with salt and into the oven at 400 for just about 15 minutes.

I never liked cauliflower before Whole30, but then I discovered roasting it. It's amazing. I also just recently made Melissa Joulwan's (theclothesmakethegirl is the website) mashed cauliflower. My husband thought it was mashed potatos. Super easy and uses frozen cauliflower.

I always have a tone of kale or chard on hand. One of my favorite ways to do, as it's super quick, is just wash and wilt in a big pot with some olive oil. Then I add spicy brown mustard and stir. It's so fast and goes with a lot.

It's winter now, so we eat of ton of roast squash. Just machete in half and pop in the oven. I like to use coconut oil on the pan. Gives it a nice roast sweetness and smells so good in the oven. Squash is one of my favorites just to keep cooked in the fridge, it goes with just about anything and adds great bulk to a soup or stew. Just dish up the stew on top of the roast squash.

Brussel sprouts roasted with some cranberries, or pan cook bacon and saute the cut up sprouts in the bacon fat.

I almost never eat salads. Partly because they feel like rabbit food when I eat too many and partly because I have Crohns disease, so cooked veggies are way easier.

CAK911, I also like broccoli with saucy meals. Those florets really pick up the sauce.

But several of you have mentioned roasted broccoli. I tried it once and it didn't turn out well. It's been a few months and I don't remember what the problem was or what my timing/temperature was.

The idea makes sense but I figured that broccoli just wasn't a good veg to roast. But it sounds like I'm wrong. Would you share time/temp or a link? (I've got a LOT of frozen broccoli right now so I won't be trying this right away. But thought I'd ask for the specifics since this thread is active right now.)

Thanks!

Terez

Terez,

I love roasted broccoli. I cut up both stems and florets into pieces about an inch or a bit more thick and toss in a bowl with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Once I have it all evenly mixed with the spices, I add a generous amount of coconut oil and toss for several minutes with my hands. You use a lot more oil on broc than other veggies, because it needs to seep into the flowers as well. I spread on a cookie sheet and roast at 425 for 15-20 minutes. I start checking at 12 minutes because the size of the pieces can make the cooking time very different one time from the next. They are done when the edges of the florets start to curl and crisp, and the stems are softened and starting to brown. I love that slightly burnt taste to the florets. I even take roasted broc to work and eat it cold as a side.

Hi, I'm a huge fan of veggies and there are so many options that you don't need to settle for something you don't like. And with veggies how they are prepared makes a huge difference in how they taste, so don't assume you don't like something because you've had a bad experience with it.... Try a different preparation. When it comes to new ideas for veggies, vegetarian, Indian and Italian cookbooks can lead to tons and tons of ideas. Even Latin and other Mediterranean cuisines like Spain, Portugal and France have great veggie traditions.

Some of my faves

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with pecans and or bacon

Sliced cabbage stir fried with curry seasoning and protein of your choice. Check out nom, nom paleo's emergency protein recipe I

Red peppers, raw, or stir fired or roasted. Don't forget the orange and red for a bit of fun

Radishes in your salads... Nice crunch, try the with salt and ghee... Very fancy French.

Try new lettuces. I love butter lettuce

Cauliflower roasted, or stirfried or made into a purée

Jicama with lime juice and salt maybe even some chili powder if you like some heat

Broccoli rabe with sausage

Zucchini: get a julienne peeler and use as noodles for spaghetti and meatballs (Delish I swear!!!)

Zucchini: stir fried and folded into your omlette, can also include mushrooms. YUM.

Leafy greens as me tinned before by others. I buy a mixed pack and toss into a hot pan and wilt for a quick veggie side. Use hot sauce, red boat fish sauce, coconut aminos or balsamic to add some spark

Squash, squash,squash... Try 'em. There are a ton of winter varieties beyond butternut. Roast them and season with salt and see what you think. If you like the flavor, start to use regularly and fancy them up, toss them in soup, or stir fries...

Try fennel. A lot of people love it shaved with slices of orange and hazelnuts. Very Italian. If you don't like the raw flavor, try it roasted. It's completely different.

Play with your food. If you don't like it... Spit it out and try something else!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived