Nauseous

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Jim Baunach said:

Does anyone else feel nauseous after eating just meat, veggies and fruit for days on end?  Yep, I ate eggs and nuts too.

Thanks.

Jim

Sorry you're not feeling well.  It could be the composition of your meals that are giving you some trouble - if you want to list out what you've been eating for each meal including approximate portion sizes, we can see if anything stands out that you could tweak to get some relief... or is it possible you're coming down with something?

My husband had a bit of a hard time with our first round; I remember him complaining about his stomach and feeling nauseated during the first two weeks. The last 15 days were much better for him than the first; we assumed it was his body struggling to get in to ketosis, and then it finally made the switch.   Are you including other sources of fat in your meals?  And are you including starchy vegetables? This post may be helpful about the fat:

)

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Jim Baunach said:

@SugarcubeOD I can't remember exactly what I ate for each meal and the portion size, but I know it has been meat (chicken, pork, steak and fish) vegetables, fruit, some eggs and nuts.  It's really hard to keep on this diet.  I'm so sick of it.

Thanks.

Jim

You might consider keeping a quick and dirty food journal going forward so that we can help in these instances.  A couple questions I would have: Are the veggies cooked?  Are they leaning heavily toward cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts?  Those can be difficult to digest. Are you eating a lot more of something than you have previous (for instance, some people who come to Whole30 from a more plant based diet have a more difficult time with the protein and we recommend a digestive enzyme in this case).

Nuts are typically quite hard on the stomach as well so you might consider choosing alternate fat sources (avocado, ghee, mayo, mayo based sauces, olives etc) to replace the nuts.  

It's fairly difficult to pin point without some information... even if you can provide the last couple days of what you can remember, that would help.

Sorry you're having such a hard time.  I imagine feeling nauseous definitely makes it harder to stick to the program, but I'm sure we can help you tweak things to get you feeling good.

1 hour ago, heb2014 said:

Are you including other sources of fat in your meals?  And are you including starchy vegetables? 

@heb2014 the only sources of fat (that I know of) are from the meat, a few nuts, avocado and olive oil.  I don't know what starchy vegetables means.

Thanks.

Jim

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Jim Baunach said:

@heb2014 the only sources of fat (that I know of) are from the meat, a few nuts, avocado and olive oil.  I don't know what starchy vegetables means.

Thanks.

Jim

Starchy veggies are root veggies (potato, winter squash, turnip, sweet potato, carrots etc).  The meal template suggests adding a plated fat to each meal as the fat slows down the absorption of protein - if you haven't been adding a plated fat (usually we don't count the cooking oil as that is left in the pan for the most part of split between portions), you may want to focus on doing so - that could help you feel better.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Jim Baunach said:

@SugarcubeOD Sometimes they are cooked and sometimes they are not.  I prefer uncooked because cooked vegetables give me a stomach ache.

Thanks.

Jim

Hmm... thats interesting.  One reason that cooked veggies might give you a stomach ache is if you're eating a very high quantity of fiberous veg... the template recommendation of 1-3 cups of veg per meal isn't a huge quantity but if you're also taking any sort of fibre supplement, that might be contributing.

Okay well I would suggest reducing the nuts, not eating fruits on their own, adding a plated fat to each meal and then keeping a food journal for the next couple days.  Note in the journal how you feel after each meal and how you're feeling overall and with that more specific information we can hopefully help.

19 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Okay well I would suggest reducing the nuts, not eating fruits on their own, adding a plated fat to each meal and then keeping a food journal for the next couple days.  

Not eating fruit on its own - A couple of things my husband really liked last time were fruit salad (mostly berries) topped with coconut oil (it covers the fruit in a sort of glaze) and bananas with almond or cashew butter topped with coconut (though you have to watch for added sugar often added to coconut). 

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, heb2014 said:

Not eating fruit on its own - A couple of things my husband really liked last time were fruit salad (mostly berries) topped with coconut oil (it covers the fruit in a sort of glaze) and bananas with almond or cashew butter topped with coconut (though you have to watch for added sugar often added to coconut). 

This does sound delicious but we do recommend not eating fruit on it's own, especially not in a parfait type 'dessert' such as this because it can trigger or keep sugar cravings alive... fruit is totally okay to eat on the program but we recommend using it as part of a meal (apples chopped into salad for instance) rather than this type of way.  That however is a recommendation and if he only ate this the entire time, technically he'd still be compliant :)

We interpreted "fruit not on its on" as including protein and fat with it i.e. the coconut oil + boiled eggs that he ate with this (often for breakfast/a snack/or a side dish - not really dessert). But we also were just trying to be complaint with our first round - didn't really pay attention to the recommendations. Thanks for the clarification, @SugarcubeOD.

Archived