Newbie on Day 17...No Tiger Blood Yet

sylvie3355

Hi All,  

Hope everybody's Whole 30 is going well for them and people are seeing great things happening daily.

I was hoping to see Tiger Blood by now and it hasn't happened yet.  I am an impatient person, and I know from my Whole 30 Day By Day Journal that it doesn't happen to everybody in the same manner and at the same time, but I'm feeling slightly frustrated bec/ I really wanted that "switch" to turn on.

True, I came into this Whole 30 eating tons of sugar and processed foods so maybe it's going to take my body a little more time to adjust.  And true, I have seen improvements in my health (no brain fog, more energy) which I do count everyday and celebrate on my NSVs, but I guess I was hoping for a complete change.  

Can anybody with experience tell me if this is okay and if it took their bodies some time to adjust?

Thanks for the support and encouragement!

Nancy

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Be sure you're following the meal template: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf and start with protein, vegetables then add fat. Also, watch your fruit, Whole30 says "occasionally" which is usually just once a day (many people use fruit as a replacement for their sugary snacks). This is your 30 day experiment so be sure you are logging your food (when, how much, how you feel) in Day By Day. You may be having more fat on some days, and not enough vegetables on another day. Maybe you're eating too much of one thing and that isn't agreeing with you. Be sure you are hydrating enough.

I have never experienced the rainbow farts and energy and mood claims of tiger blood, but I've also thankfully never really experienced sugar withdrawals, except for one round. Every person is unique, so trust the process. Dive deeper into other NSV that you may be overlooking. You've got this!

Hi Shani,

Thanks so much for replying. I am mos def logging everything I'm eating/drinking to a T.  I laid off fruit for almost a week bec/ of my sugar addiction and I added in fruit 2 days ago but I can't eat it with full meals bec/ that def makes me bloated.  I usually eat it 30 min before a meal with nuts, although I would prefer to have it alone so it has time to digest without fat or protein in there. That seems to be the best for my body pre W30 ago....

If anything, I feel like I'm eating too much food.  I've been making whole 30 recipes throughout this from the 4 books so I was assuming they were balanced for veg/protein/fat but I think part of my wrench are my workouts and meat consumption.  My workouts routines have been the same for 3 years with the exception of starting OTF 2x/w in Sept 2019. I only workout heavy 2x/wk (Orange Theory) then I do yoga 3x/wk and pilates 1x/wk.  Because the latter (yoga/pilates) isn't a high intensity training, I didn't add any pre/post workout meals with them.  Should I?

I will continue to dive deeper to see if I feel bloated after which meal and what I ate.  I haven't done that yet.  I'll start today.

Good news is I don't have any bloat in the am so that's a good sign.  Maybe I need to walk after a meal bec/ my body isn't used to eating 3 meals only.  I was more of a grazer so I'll give it more time. 

Also, I didn't used to eat all this meat either.  I'm not a vegetarian by any means but my body seems to like it when I use meat as a flavoring, not as a full course so I was under the impression that the only protein sources on the plan that aren't meat/fish are eggs and nuts.  Am I missing anything? 

Thanks for helping me.  I greatly appreciate it.

Nancy

• Whole30 Certified Coach
On 1/18/2020 at 7:03 AM, sylvie3355 said:

If anything, I feel like I'm eating too much food.  I've been making whole 30 recipes throughout this from the 4 books so I was assuming they were balanced for veg/protein/fat but I think part of my wrench are my workouts and meat consumption.  My workouts routines have been the same for 3 years with the exception of starting OTF 2x/w in Sept 2019. I only workout heavy 2x/wk (Orange Theory) then I do yoga 3x/wk and pilates 1x/wk.  Because the latter (yoga/pilates) isn't a high intensity training, I didn't add any pre/post workout meals with them.  Should I?

I will continue to dive deeper to see if I feel bloated after which meal and what I ate.  I haven't done that yet.  I'll start today.

Good news is I don't have any bloat in the am so that's a good sign.  Maybe I need to walk after a meal bec/ my body isn't used to eating 3 meals only.  I was more of a grazer so I'll give it more time. 

Also, I didn't used to eat all this meat either.  I'm not a vegetarian by any means but my body seems to like it when I use meat as a flavoring, not as a full course so I was under the impression that the only protein sources on the plan that aren't meat/fish are eggs and nuts.  Am I missing anything? 

Hi, Nancy,

I'm jumping in here to echo what Shani said, and to respond a bit to your last post--

If you feel like you're eating too much food, you can definitely make smaller meals while still following the template (protein, veg, add fat). That kind of goes along with what you said about eating more meat than you're accustomed to -- a recommended serving is a palm size (or two depending on appetite/ activity/etc); if you look at your palm, that's actually not too big of a serving. Check it out next time you're making yourself a plate! As far as protein goes, meat/fish and eggs are it-- nuts are compliant, however, they're an added fat versus a protein source following W30 guidelines. As far as pre/post workout meals-- I'm not a doctor or a sports nutritionist, but I'd say you're intuition on that makes sense, and there is no need for either after low/moderate intensity workouts.

One thing that really struck me while reading your posts, is that you are really in tune to your body, and you are totally taking this "personal experiment" seriously by using W30 Day by Day and tracking food/ NSVs/ experiences in your body/ workouts/ etc.   I am so impressed! I wasn't doing any of that during my first W30 (it was so long ago, I was too busy making mayo and searching for sugar free bacon :))

One more thing-- you said you haven't reached tiger blood, yet, but you mentioned "no brain fog, more energy." I'd say those are awesome NSVs less than three weeks into your Whole30! Keep on, you've definitely got this!!

HI Coach Amy,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my last post.  It really makes a difference to me to get so much support and encouragement.  I'm glad to hear I'm on the right track.  I have decreased my meal intake and that's helped for sure.  

I also think I'm fighting a cold/sinus thing (whether truly a virus or more detoxing Sx, not sure)  but because I'm an impatient person, not feeling 100% on day 21 gives me reservations -- so thanks for confirming that all is well.

I am excited and nervous about going into reintroduction phase.  Sometimes I just miss small things like oatmeal but other times I miss sugar so I will have to go slowly and methodically esp when it comes to sugar bec/ I have an addiction to it.  

Thanks again for your pep talk.  It really means a lot!

Have a great day!

Nancy

Archived