Morning meals/pre-workout/post workout

Help needed..... I'm having issues of what to eat before/after my workout. I do Crossfit at 6:00 am and I'm confused on my morning meals..... Breakfast, pre-workout and post workout meals. (i generally get up an hour prior to eat) Please help, any advise is greatly appreciated.

PS how many day days of Crossfit/running per week is recommended during my Whole30 adventure?

Hi Stacey! To a certain extent, you'll have to play with this one a little bit. For some folks (like me) any food before a morning workout will make me want to pray to the nearest bush. For, some, they can hold down a normal meal without engaging their gag reflex. If you're one of those magic people, a small snack of protein and fat is appropriate (like an egg). After your workout, you'll want to replenish the glycogen that you've burned with some starchy carbs, and some protein to get your muscle repair going. Don't forget to eat sufficiently to fuel your activity! You'll kind of be able to feel this one out the further you get into Whole30 land.

As for how often to workout, many people see performance drops during the program because their bodies are going through so much change. For many people, the culprit is coming from a high sugar diet. You shouldn't feel punished and miserable after a workout, you should feel energized and sleep well at night. If that's not the case, take some time off, do some yoga, and/or meditate. There are many other ways to enhance your health than just pounding the pavement or overhead squatting your friends.

• 4 weeks later...

I train at 5am and just can't bring myself to get up early enough to eat beforehand!!!! I trained 5-6 days a week on my first whole30 with no performance loss - in fact my pbs went up in a short space of time but I had been eating paleo for several months prior so cutting the sugar wasn't such a shock to the system......... I'm starting another whole30 and really want to focus on eating at the right times and see what difference it could make - to both performance and body composition.......

Archived