Accidental slip up?! Do I have to start over?!

Chelseajo

Today I ordered chipotle with chicken and steak. I know their carne asada and chicken is compliant and I thought that’s what I ordered so I ate it. Their steak is unfortunately cooked in rice bran oil and now I have horrible bubble guts! I’m on day 11... do I need to start all over?! *sobs*

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I can feel your stress through the internet! How frustrating this must be for you!! Whole30 is all over social media touting the compliant bowls at Chipotle, so it's one of the "safe" places to eat outside your home, and then, with the best of intentions, you accidentally ate some non-compliant oil. Ugh.

So, back to your question: do you need to start over?   The intention of the program is to be a true elimination diet, meaning you eliminate all possibly irritating, inflammatory and triggering foods, as outlined in the program, for a full 30 days, so your body has a chance to be free of these foods for the entire time. With that in mind, anytime one eats an off plan food, they should start over. Even when the offending food was eaten by accident.  

Now is a little rice bran oil a super triggering food like gluten or dairy? Probably not. Likely not. But it could be. Maybe. Possibly. This is where you have to do a little soul searching and decide for yourself whether you will start over at Day 1.   If you haven't had a chance to read it already, I'd recommend you read this article "Do I Have To Start My Whole30 Over? A Gretchen Rubin Four Tendencies Perspective." No matter how you make your decisions, it will speak to you!!

https://whole30.com/start-over/

Whatever choice you make, I just want to say "Brava!" on the 11 days you've given to yourself already. Keep going. You will be giving yourself an incredible gift!

Archived