Sweet potatoes: apparently I love them, but is it too much?

kaybee

Who knew? I bake them and mash with a little ghee and a little coconut butter. I feel like I could eat it every day, but I suspect I shouldn't. I do run 3-5 miles, four to five times a week, and will be increasing my mileage. I also have an active job, I'm on my feet most of the time, but still... It wouldn't kill me to lose a few pounds. Should I watch my sweet potatoes? I'm pretty careful to balance with protein and green veg, usually kale or escarole, or spinach.

I am much less active than you are (i.e. no running, lift weights 3ish times a week and maybe sprint 2x a week) and eat sweet potato everyday that I have them in my house! As long as you are balancing I bet you are fine! I did the same thing during my first Whole30 and worked out less than I had been beforehand and still lost 8lbs and dropped 2 pants/dress sizes.

Don't deprive yourself of something that you love that is such a good choice for carbs!

If it were me I'd have at least one a day, especially if you are upping your mileage. You would have to eat a whole lot of spinach to replace what you would burn on a 4-5 mile run. I eat 2-3 a day plus the odd plantain....

Not sure what day you are on but cut yourself some slack on the mileage dept until your body adjusts.... I had no performance the first 2-3 weeks and then I kicked into overdrive...

Pay careful attn to the subtle clues your body gives you and eat plenty of the " healthy foods" .... The weight will drop off, but more likely you will end up dropping a whole lot of body fat.....

I agree with fenderbender and Michaela. Having done quite a bit of running myself, I think with as much as you're doing you certainly need the fuel. I noticed a big drop in energy when I was not diligent in getting my daily dose of starchy carbs.

• 1 month later...

Archived