Guess who's back? Round 3 Day 1 on 28 January

SchrodingersCat

I have a freezer full of frozen soup which is non-compliant, but my migraines are back causing vertigo with a vicious vengeance and I can't live like this .

Round 3 Day 1 will be kicking off Tuesday 28 January. I'll go through to 9 March, because the hubster will be away 29 Feb -9 March so it will be very easy to stay compliant that extra week. 

Food prep will happen Monday with mayo, chimmichurri, pesto, and at least 2 weeks worth of lunches. Maybe more, it would be great to just have grab and go ready for most if not all of my round. 

Now to go find my old threads to see what I was eating...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, food prep plan for this weekend:

Meals for lunches and easy dinners:

• Sri Lankan Beef and Coconut Curry with cauli and broc rice
  • Chicken Pot Pie soup
  • Laksa chicken and veg with cauli rice and/or zoodles
  • Lots of roasted veggie medley for easy sides
  • Whole roasted cauliflower

Condiments:

• Basil and sundried tomato pesto
  • Chimmichurri
  • Mayo
  • Lemon and tahini dressing

Breakfasts (aka meal 1):

• Hard boiled eggs
  • Green thai curry salmon patties

It's a long weekend so I can use Monday for a full day of cooking. If I can sort out lunches for 3 weeks, I'll put myself in a great position. 

I realised, too, that it is Febfast approaching and a bunch of people at work are doing it. It will make it easier to bow out of drinking at social occasions and the like!

Ooh, just found a recipe for Chicken Marsala, I might prep some of that today to have over cauli rice, instead of the laksa chicken, coz I haven't got any fresh galangal and can't get any today. 

Brain is starting to do the whole "This is too hard, do you really want to start this week?" thing, and it needs to shut up!

K, I have a plan. 

I didn't get my food prep done this weekend, but I have thai curry tuna patties and coleslaw for lunches (peri peri mayo on the side), and I have eggs and spicy kraut for breakfast.  We're having fish for dinner tomorrow, as we do every tuesday, and I'll hit the markets at lunch for fish and for extra veggies and some stuff like compliant mustard. I might grab some lamb chops, too.

It's a 4 day work week, so I'm just going to keep it super simple. Plus, it's a hot week so meat and salad is an easy fix for 2 of 3 meals a day. 

OK, here's to day 1! My vertigo is terrible, and I had to get up at 1am to take antacids, and I'm tired and I feel disgusting and ALL of that is why I'm doing this again. 

Meal 1: 2 poached eggs with spicy kraut

Meal 2: 2 Thai curry tuna patties with slaw and peri peri mayo

Meal 3: Pan seared red snapper with lemon garlic and dill ghee, green salad and grilled sweet potato rounds

Day 2! I realized yesterday I'm not going to be able to complete 30 days, due to a holiday at the end of February that's been planned for 6 months and was specifically booked to attend a cheese festival, I'm ok with that, this is more a reset for me in any event and that's not going to stop me being compliant until then, and resuming compliancy afterwards.

Meal 2: 2 Thai curry tuna patties with slaw and peri peri mayo

Meal 3: I feel like lamb. And sweet potatoes. probably that, with some broccolini and roasted beetroot, with a chimmichurri sauce

I'm having a very up and down time, emotionally, at the moment. I didn't eat my lunch as a meal, just munched the 2 tuna patties separately, and then in a strop decided 'stuff it, I'm having a cookie, this is pointless, you can't even do 30 days'. Went to the work break room, opened the cookie jar, looked at them.... and walked away. I even decided that if I was going to cave on a snack, I could go to the minimart across the road and get a compliant but SWYPO lara-like bar, or a pot of almonds, then didn't do THAT either. 

My issue is at the moment, I feel crappy and so I have the 'why bother' attitude but feeling crappy is exactly WHY I need to bother. So I'm just going to plug on, one meal at a time. 

OK, so I'm actually super proud of myself for staying compliant yesterday, I was SO close to throwing it over. Partly because of my down mood of late and partly because realizing that not being able to go the 30 days triggered my 'all or nothing' switch and my 'why bother' went in to overdrive. However, that's dumb. I was planning this round to be far more of a ease into this as a lifestyle thing, and in life, things are going to come up and there are going to be events I loosen up the rules for, and this weekend away is one of them.

So with all of that, I DID graze yesterday, lunch was just the patties and not the salad, eaten a couple of hours apart, and after dinner was a spread out 'mini-meal' (AKA visits to the kitchen) but again, compliant.

So here's to today:

Meal 2: Hot smoked salmon with broccoli slaw and peri peri mayo

Meal 3: Hmm. Maybe some nice steak with some sweet potato chips, broccolini, and a green salad with caesar dressing.  

Dinner was Pistachio dukkah crusted pork chops, pan fried sweet potato rounds, romaine, radish, cucumber and beetroot salad with mustard vinaigrette and omg, so amazing, spicy chili apple sauce (1 peeled Red apple, chopped and sauteed in coconut oil, then simmered with 2tsp tamarind (could use a pureed date) and 1tbs of sambal). Sweet and spicy all in one!

Day 4 is underway. It's a Friday, which will be a challenge, because my husband will be having a few wines. But that's ok, I'll live. I hope. 

One immediate thing I've notices, I'm wearing the same work pants I wore on Tuesday (yes, they've been washed) and they are high waisted and WAY less binding around my upper stomach. I've definitely unbloated a bit, so yay.

Meal 1: the usual

Meal 2: leftover pistachio dukka pork chops with slaw and a mayo/chimmicurri dressing

Meal 3: slow roasted lamb on a bed on romaine, cucumber, kalamata olives, roasted pumpkin, toasted pine nuts with W30 tzatziki

Super kudos to getting through those first few days. I can feel all the resistance thinking in me building right up and my brain trying to figure out all the places I need to eat TODAY before I start tomorrow. So crazy how we eat the things that make us feel crappy. I could be a poster child for that process! Your pistachio crusted pork chops sound pretty darn good. I love pistachios. I love crunchy things. I love pork chops. What could be better!

On 1/29/2020 at 12:00 AM, SchrodingersCat said:

I didn't eat my lunch as a meal, just munched the 2 tuna patties separately, and then in a strop decided 'stuff it, I'm having a cookie, this is pointless, you can't even do 30 days'. Went to the work break room, opened the cookie jar, looked at them.... and walked away.

Your Day 3 sounds exactly how today is going for me (my Day 1).  My brain is trying to convince me to go to the store down the road for my favorite bar (OCHO dark chocolate PB bar).  I would look for something with almonds instead... Except, no...there is no way I would find something compliant because nothing with compliant ingredients would sound as good as an OCHO bar... so going to that store now would mean I would quit before day 2 basically.  I just chugged water to try to make the craving go away but it's still kind of there.  It is good to read that you overcame it, though.  Great job!  I hope these cravings go away soon!

Thanks guys!! Good to hear I'm not alone in this. I'm actually very proud to have defeated that urge to screw things up so early on. I don't even LIKE the work cookies.

Bigger and better victory - got through Friday night with my wine drinking husband without so much as a craving! Dinner was delicious,  I had sparkling water with fresh lime, then a pot of tea.  I'm still having a small handful of nuts of an evening, but in the grand scheme it's going just fine.

Meal 1: 2 egg omellete with leftover diced roast lamb, roasted pumpkin and sundried tomatoes, with 4 spears of broccolini.

Not sure for the rest of the day, we need to grocery shop and I have nothing to do today so I might do something elaborate for dinner.

Ok, had a lovely time shopping for food today, I went to 3 different places and grabbed some interesting food.

Tonight's dinner is slow cooked Asian style beef short ribs in a sweet and spicy orange sauce, sauteed Chinese broccoli and chilli garlic snake beans. Hoping it turns out, because it smells amazing! I Whole30'd a recipe by replacing soy with coconut aminos, honey with a bit of date paste, and the hoisin sauce with some of my homemade Whole30 BBQ sauce.

I also have yogurt chicken marinating for lunches, using the rest of the coconut and almond yogurt and compliant curry powder. Will serve it for lunches with cauli/brocc rice. 

Happy Sunday! I finally found shrimp paste that is just shrimp and salt, so I'm going to go wild on the Asian food now!

Meal 1: slaw with nuoc tam style dressing (sesame oil, olive oil, fish sauce, lemon juice, garlic, sambal and shrimp paste) with leftover sweet and spicy orange beef ribs

Meal 2: Turkey drums with mashed potato and cauliflower (mashed with ghee), broccolini and turkey gravy made with pan juice and potato starch.

Ever have those days where you feel like you've buggered it up, but you haven't, it's just your brain being a jerk?

So I had the meal 1 above, then did some serious yard work (mowing a hugely overgrown yard, then digging out and moving about 20 paving slabs, then trimming edges, sweeping up etc.

After that I 'snacked' on a bit more of the ribs, 3 dill pickles and some pine nuts. I guess that's a meal, right?

Then dinner was exactly as meal 2 above.

So I don't know why I feel like I messed up, I'm not doing the whole 'you should just give up' because I don't feel like that at all, I just don't feel like it was a great day. 

I also keep thinking I haven't done enough for the coming week, which is also silly - I have curry yogurt chicken for lunches, cauli/brocc rice or salads for sides. Breakfasts are same as always and ready to go. Grocery shopping done and we're all good for dinners. I just feel like I've dropped the ball on something today and I can't figure out what. 

5 hours ago, SchrodingersCat said:

So I don't know why I feel like I messed up, I'm not doing the whole 'you should just give up' because I don't feel like that at all, I just don't feel like it was a great day. 

I also keep thinking I haven't done enough for the coming week, which is also silly - I have curry yogurt chicken for lunches, cauli/brocc rice or salads for sides. Breakfasts are same as always and ready to go. Grocery shopping done and we're all good for dinners. I just feel like I've dropped the ball on something today and I can't figure out what

Your meals and dishes always sound so good. They sometimes bring to mind things I've made in the past and have forgotten all about (Egg Roll in a Bowl), but yours always sound so much more sophisticated and tasty (probably because they are!!!). Everything looks and sounds good - including all the yard work. I do love mowing the lawn and being outside even though I put it off at times.  It's curious why you're feeling like it wasn't a great day.

Our brains for whatever reason go into panic mode and like to sabotage everything.  Mine started doing 10 days out from the end.  I felt like I was always looking over my shoulder.  I think mine was fear of completion which is a deeper underlying fear of failure.  I pushed through and told my brain to hush, though it did make me acutely aware of being mindful and intentional with food.

Thanks guys!!

I love to cook and be inventive with food, it's a real passion.

No idea why I felt that way, I was a bit out of sorts. I found this weekend I was super productive and active, with a big dose of "kill all the things!". I'm having a wider existential crisis at the moment regarding career direction (including considering a complete change in career) and a lot of that indecision/stress is carrying over. It's also a terrible time for me to be considering all of this, because my other half has been off since Xmas (new job starts mid-Feb) , and I'm all stroppy because I'm envious of his downtime. I think I'm just very blah.

Anywhoo, enough whining from me!

Meal 1: Poached eggs and spicy kraut

Meal 2: Coconut/almond yogurt marinated chicken tenderloins with cauli/brocc rice

Meal 3: Steak, baked sweet potato, grilled garlic mushrooms, broccolini and sauteed cabbage

Oh, thoughts. 

So yesterday I saw the doctor because my tennis elbow isn't improving and he did me a care plan. This meant weighing me and he said it out loud. It was more than I hoped, but I was fully dressed and it was later in the day. Not considering this a restart because this round is all strict on food compliance, but flexible on meal template, and other non-ingredient related rules, with a view to transitioning into a less stringent, more paleo way of eating.

My vertigo is much improved. I won't say it is gone until I haven't had any for a week, but I think it's been a couple of days.

I think I'm giving up drinking, save for special occasions. We have generally been drinking every weekend, and I felt SO much better this weekend for not.

My husband mentioned more than once over the weekend how much happier he is eating this way. He's not W30, but generally eats what I eat. He wants to lose about 20lbs, and he has type 1 diabetes (and basically gave up sugar the day he was diagnosed save for the very rare occasion) so he's all about the healthy. 

Archived